Caribou Gear

Fitness Updates

Dang!

Thank you to Zim for starting this thread!! I thought I was doing OK, not great, but OK, If some of you live out there and do that much I really have to kick it up about 10 notches as the altitude isn't going to be my friend either I bet. I got after it much harder today and will continue to increase a little each day. Thanks again Zim, and others for the motivation. Keep up the good work guys!!

Intervals this morning. 12 X 400m with 400m recoveries. Didn't run them on the track, just ran on the country roads out by my house and had my phone set to tell me when to speed up and when to slow down.

Ended up totaling 7.9 miles with warm up and cool down for an average pace for the whole workout of an 8:36 pace.

First time in a while I've done intervals, ran the first 8 too fast averaging a 6:48 pace on them, slowed down on the last 4, averaging a 7:35 pace on them. Average pace on all 12 of the intervals ended up being 7:04 which was actually a little faster than my training plan was calling for (7:15 pace), but I blew the workout somewhat by running the first 8 too fast and then the last 4 too slow.

Running 6.2 miles at an average pace of 7:15 per mile as my goal for my 10K race this September is going to be pretty tough. Being in this good of shape should make my hunting season much more enjoyable though.

When hiking longer distances that have significant elevation gain, do any of you guys have a benchmark goal for elevation gain per hour? That type of scenario is probably more applicable in mountain hunting remote areas of Canada or AK, but I've heard from some sheep guides and such that they often try to pace themselves at about 1000' gain per hour. So if their camp was 4-6 miles away and 5000' up, it'd take them 5 hours. Does anyone else quantify their pace this way?

Last night I set the timer for exactly an hour, with 20 pounds on my back and went at a hard, but comfortable pace and made it between 1700-1800' up. It definitely wouldn't be sustainable for 3 or 4 more hours, I was pretty spent. Its not where I want to be 8 weeks from now but I guess its where I'm starting. I've been slacking off with not having time to get in the mtns, and I just can't get myself to run or bike miles on end on flat ground. Hoping to continue that routine 3-4 times a week for the next 6 and hope I'll be ready.

When hiking longer distances that have significant elevation gain, do any of you guys have a benchmark goal for elevation gain per hour? That type of scenario is probably more applicable in mountain hunting remote areas of Canada or AK, but I've heard from some sheep guides and such that they often try to pace themselves at about 1000' gain per hour. So if their camp was 4-6 miles away and 5000' up, it'd take them 5 hours. Does anyone else quantify their pace this way?

Last night I set the timer for exactly an hour, with 20 pounds on my back and went at a hard, but comfortable pace and made it between 1700-1800' up. It definitely wouldn't be sustainable for 3 or 4 more hours, I was pretty spent. Its not where I want to be 8 weeks from now but I guess its where I'm starting. I've been slacking off with not having time to get in the mtns, and I just can't get myself to run or bike miles on end on flat ground. Hoping to continue that routine 3-4 times a week for the next 6 and hope I'll be ready.

I've heard the technique, but never tried it. I'm super nerdy about pace, and always moniter how fast I'm moving. I try to stay under 2 miles an hour, but at high elevation or on steep terrain I cut way back. I'd rather take my time, and not get exhausted(physically or mentally.)

Ran the Rucus this weekend a 4 mile mud obstacle course. Also just signed up for the Mud on Mountain that is a 7 mile obstacle course ran at night. It is at one of our ski lodges and has a fair amount of elevation gain.

Backed off somewhat on the running, as I bagged my race plans for Aug but I still am doing 25-35 MPW. (Logged ~ 1200 miles for the year so far) Doing some pack work on the local flood dike at least once a week. Stairmaster, elliptical and core work. Focusing on MT elk for Sept.

Low impact w/increasing resistance cardio hamster wheels (X Trainer and Stat bike) for me. Original knee, new knee, and bone graft stanchioned lower back like it just fine. Back deal 3 months 3 weeks...back to about 70% weight resistance capability (Doc approved)...should be at 100% by last of September...that's the plan. Working out daily without pain and harder than I have in 10 years.

I ran a 25 mile trail race on Saturday. Hiked about 10 miles on Tuesday to do some scouting. I plan to really put the hammer down the next four weeks, and then taper off heading into September.

A band of young rams we saw on our hike.

Attachments

• Bighorns.jpg
    Bighorns.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 46
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back