Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fishing in Yellowstone or near Jackson Hole

Reeder

My wife and I will be heading to Yellowstone/Grand Teton next month. My wife expressed to me she would like to go fishing. I have no clue where to fish up there. I have done some research about fishing licenses and regulations in those areas. A Non-resident Wyoming fishing license is $14 a day and I believe Yellowstone has it's own fishing licence for the National Park itself for $18 for a three day license (correct me if I am wrong).

Do you guys and gals prefer to fish in Yellowstone or in Jackson Hole area? Can you point me in right direction on what lake and rivers to fish from? I should tell you that we have no experience when it comes fly fishing. So we will probably use spinning rods.

Thanks for your help.
Happy Trails.

-Reeder

I have no experience fishing that area. Check on Amazon and I bet you can find several books on fishing in Yellowstone.

Reeder,

Lots of options for fishing in the area. Park's fly shop has good updates on conditions, etc: http://www.parksflyshop.com/ They're located in Gardiner and focus on the Park and waters to the North. The Yellowstone River is always an option inside and outside the park, as are the lakes, especially for the fall & spinning gear.

Around Jackson, there's the Snake, Buffalo Fork, Gros Ventre, Hoback & Grey's rivers. The Snake would provide the best opportunity for chucking hardware, IMO, as would the lakes (Jackson Lake, Jenny Lake). You could also fish the South Fork of the Snake in ID (SW of Jackson) or the Hebgen/Quake lake area around West Yellowstone.

Honestly, there's a lot of accessible water, but you'll want to check conditions as you get closer. Not sure what the hoot owl closures look like, or regs are like, in the Parks. Lots of regs to protect native fisheries, so be sure to read up well.

We were traveling through the area a couple of years back and my sons and I stopped and fished awhile. There is a small section of the snake river that is open for bait. I think it is like a 1000' of river or so right below the dam between Yellowstone and Jackson. We stopped at a shop there and they recommended that because my kids could cast some bait and have some action. We caught several nice cutthroats. Then I made a couple of cast and caught a 23" one on a spinner. Then my son caught a 15" one on powerbait. I will have to dig up the pictures.

That would be a great place for you to stop and fish. There is a large parking lot. You can walk up toward the dam. I used rooster tails and did very good even though it is a bait section. Not sure if it was typical but we caught a lot of fish. Ended up keeping a few to grill for supper the next few days.

Back