Fishing help needed...:/

fly fishing

raiderbowhunter,

I grew up here in Billings and just got of the Yellowstone on Sunday fly fishing. I am no expert but would be willing to share with you what I know.

John

So, I've lived in Billings for nearly three months and owned a fly rod for most of that time....sadly I haven't a clue what to do with it other than wish I knew how to fly fish.

That being said, if there's anyone in the area that has any time to show a flatlander from the drought stricken land of TX a thing or two to help me get started casting and such, I would be more than willing to supply the beer/whatever.

I'm just tired of driving by the rivers and wishing I knew how to partake in the fishing....

Thanks for any and all help that might be offered.

-josh

I live by Lillis Park. Im not pro, but I could give some pointers. If worse comes to worse we head to East Rosebud Fly Shop. :D

Head for the Bighorn when you get it figured out.

Just dont step in, on, or around the Redds... The locals frown on that and they can make or break a new fly fishermans view of the sport in a negative way as some think they are all high and mightly. I would start slow. But the horn is a great place to fish although crowded at times. No doubt about that.

I work over in Hardin, so I am very fmailiar with the Bighorn and all the guides that inhabit it....

I really appreciate all the tips from everyone. I will get to practicing!

PMs headed to a few of you from the Billings areas....

Thanks again everyone!

I have just checked for the nearest FFF instructor but can't believe the nearest to you is in Livingston!
The late Mel Krieger does some good informative DVD's http://www.melkrieger.com/dvdBooks.htm
I would suggest learning on a reservoir/lake as all you need to contend with is the wind, learning on a river and dealing with the current can lead to panic setting in!
So learn to roll cast first then the overhead/false casting until it becomes second nature, and don't forget, most errors occur due to wrist break or power application.
I make my living during the summer guiding and instructing in the UK (www.devonflyfisher.com), i'm sure i will have plenty of time when i come over to Montana in a few weeks after nailing my bull elk and deer in couple of days to give you a few pointers when i meet up with my friend near Billings!:D
pm me your email address and i will send you my casting notes i give out.
Cheers
Richard

Head to the smaller streams and creeks where the fish aren't quite as picky as some of the more popular bigger rivers.

streamers in the fall when the fish are hungry on the rivers.

There are a few small ponds near my house loaded with perch!
When I lived in Texas I learned not to confuse perch with what we Montanans know as perch, or brownies with brown trout, or even cokes with cokes. (Twas the first place I ever heard of a Dr. Pepper Coke.) But a small wet fly fished slowly will usually catch something in a warmwater pond, perch or sunfish or whatever they may be. That will help you get used to handling the line and casting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back