Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fishing from a Paddle Board

TriStar Hunt

I’m going to stick my neck out a little and ask for advice on getting set up to fish off of my paddle board on Couchville Lake in Long Hunter State Park - a calm, low traffic lake without motorboats or swimmers. My kids are young and impressionable, they appear to enjoy paddle boarding, and it struck me as we were out there this weekend that there could be a golden opportunity here. Not looking to catch a monster fish - just hoping to share fishing w my kids.
Thank you all! And I appreciate your thoughts!
Board = 12’ Pau Hana Endurance SUP
Method = Rod/Reel, most likely with a bobber

It is very good that you have decided to share fishing and all the fishing sensations with your children. My children don't like fishing with me because they think it's too long and boring. I wish they enjoyed fishing as much as I do.

I’ve tried it, ended up wet. I think you might be alright in a calm lake. I tried it in the Gulf of Mexico. I much prefer a sit on top kayak or my boat lol

ive seen YouTube videos where they have rigged them up all kinds of ways.I would just keep it simple, bring minimal stuff, and try to let the kids have all the fun. My kids love fishing. I try to only take them when there is gonna be action so they aren’t bored.

Maybe go without them the first time to try and find fish and then take them back there when you know there is going to be action.

I tried it a couple of weeks ago. It was fun, but I think it would take a little work to make it convenient. It was a small mountain lake and super clear water, so I generally sat or kneeled on the board. Trying to keep all your stuff and the paddle on the board while you’re grappling with a flopping fish was kind of a pain. If you aren’t wearing a pfd, a vest would be handy. Having enough room to work was also kind of a pain. Might be a little tough with kids in the mix. But I did catch those grayling off it though, so it worked.

🤦‍♂️ Thank you new members for your sketchy replies to my question. You have not yet passed the Turing test. 🤖

For the humans here, I’ll be able to update the thread with my initial attempts soon. Got a cheap igloo to strap on the board. Trying to rig my hero4 to my vest to document the inevitable belly flops. Thankfully I’m using super old gear and trying to make it more secure to myself (wrist strap?).

TriStar keep us informed on how it goes. I almost bought a paddle board for fishing a couple months ago, one main selling point was going to be less weight as compared to a kayak set up for fishing (which I already have). But after looking at some of the bigger more stable boards, and adding a few accessories the weight advantage started to disappear. Still haven't totally ruled it out, so always looking for other folks experiences.

I fish, I paddleboard....alot. The two are a bad combination if there is even the slightest puff of wind.
Just sayin.

Anyone else notice the 3 consecutive replies by 1st time posters that signed up today? :unsure:
Uh, no? I only saw 1, RoseRampling or something. ??? As for fishing from a paddleboard, no. Too many long runs and turns from a big fish. Good rods and reels wind up in the lake.

I have a board set up to fish, with 2 rod holders. I have yet to fish off of it. When I do, it will be with a cooler to sit on, not standing up. I can see where using the board as a fishing platform would not be smart in all but the warmest temps, and then while wearing a PFD. In mountain lakes with cold water, I'd also want an ankle tether to the board.

I fish off of a paddle board sometimes. Its often more convenient than taking my canoe. I'll clip a small two sided plano and a dry bag to the bow. The stern gets a cam strapped play mate on it. While fishing the paddle slides under the cam strap coming off the cooler very easily, and the rod goes there while underway. It definitely drifts quickly in a wind. I like that I don't feel as cramped up after spending some hours on it. I stand, sit with my feet off the side of the board, sit Indian style on the board, or kneel through out the day, and the movement keeps me looser. On calm days, I love standing and casting, but I usually go down to my knees to actually land a fish.

I'm thinking that a flat topped cooler that I would strap down in the center of the board would make a good seat. I've been eyeing the 19 quart engel that comes with rod holders.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back