Fish Skinner

I got the skinzit for a gift a few years back. I like it, its an electric version of this. Really nice to get the rib bones out and save the meat under them.

The best filet knife I have ever used was...............a bread knife I bought for my wife. It is a high-end knife from Williams-Sonoma. I used it on some King Salmon.

I like the idea of maximizing the meat. Any suggestions for really good fillet knives?
Really good is no replacement for really sharp! That deal to skin with is something someone dreamed up for no other reason than turning a buck. How long does it take to remove a filet with a sharp knife?

Curious to see if anyone using this fish skinner they demonstrated on this YouTube? It looks amazing! Link below.

View attachment 232641 Filleting Fish YouTube
My childhood job was to use that skinner cause safer than knife. I have just recently learned the knife method and is faster and able to handle wider filets better but that sound of skin and scales getting slowly pulled off a fish is a sound of success and appreciation of the outdoors that my dad gave me. I found one at a garage sale and I would have paid 10 times what I did because of nostalgia but unless you are wanting something for a kid to do to help I would pass.

Dexter Russell. It's about the only one you see at fish docs and with people that fillet hundreds of fish each day. I got one to fillet a few dozen salmon last week in Alaska. Gave my electric one away when I got home.
This was the predominant answer I got a few years back. And they are cheaper than all the expensive ones. The other answer was Leech Lake. Pretty. But more expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back