First year elk calling

fattybinz

Started hunting last year. This fall will be my first time attempting to do any kind of calling. I'm going to have a Utah rifle cow and spike tag good for October 7-19 and a late season cow tag for December. These tags will be for one of Utah's premium LE bull elk units. Since I will not be hunting bulls, I know calling is less important/useful, but I still want to start practicing. I will be scouting during the rut, as close to the peak rut as I can, so I mainly want to sounds good enough (and loud enough) to locate elk to give myself a general idea of areas I should continue scouting. I also want to be able to make a good cow call since again, good practice, and may be useful for calling a spike.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the options. Open-reed, diaphragms, bugle tubes. I've listened to Randy and Corey's elk hunting mistakes podcasts but I still need some direction. What are the best beginner tools I should pick up to start learning? Any particular brands recommended? I was thinking of getting a diaphragm (or two...do you need one for each sound?), and a bugle tube and starting there.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Personally, I started out with a primos hoochie mama cow call when I was younger. I called in a lot of smaller bulls and spikes with that. I think it's all kind of personal preference. Diaphrams take some getting used to in the beginning but once you get it, it's great to be hands free. Primos also sells packs of diaphrams that come with a cow and a couple bull diaphrams. I like those ones though I have been trying out other brands. As far as a bugle....I would advise starting simple. I just have a straight tube....nothing fancy. And I've definitely called in a lot of bulls for my dad...and a couple guys (fooled them! :) ) My mom made my dad one out of a plastic tube and some camo fabric. He has had it for 27 years I think and has called in lots of bulls as well. There are some great YouTube videos on how to call I'm sure, but practice really does make perfect. Good luck! And welcome to one of the most fun and exciting things to do: calling in elk!

Get some reeds and learn to use them. Learn to make the basic sounds, but more importantly learn the when and why to use them. Quality of bugling is ridiculously overrated, and I would put it on par with pattern of camo in terms of real world usefulness. The worst bugle I ever heard in the woods was from a 300+ class six pointer.

Get some reeds and learn to use them. Learn to make the basic sounds, but more importantly learn the when and why to use them. Quality of bugling is ridiculously overrated, and I would put it on par with pattern of camo in terms of real world usefulness. The worst bugle I ever heard in the woods was from a 300+ class six pointer.

Any particular reed or style you would recommend? Would you get multiple reeds, or one that does more than one sound?

Any particular reed or style you would recommend? Would you get multiple reeds, or one that does more than one sound?

I mostly buy from Rocky Jacobson’s company. I like the Mellow Yellow and the All Star. Single reeds are usually easier to learn on but double or triple reeds give you better sound carry IMO.

Buy several because you’re guaranteed to lose them.

I started off with a mellow yellow and a raging bull palate plate calls from Rocky Mountain Hunting calls. Lots of youtube videos on how to do the calls. I would then pause and try to mimic the calls. I'm not an expert on calling, but I can make the sounds I need to in the heat of the moment.

Dont forget phelps reeds either.
It will be my first year calling and ive tried 5 different diaphrams and settled on the grey phelps.
Have to cut the latex down to get it to settle in. Got their tube also.
Really weirds people out when you roll through a midwest town ripping a bugle out the window of your truck.

I've had a remarkably hard time with diaphragm calls. Its odd because I used to hunt turkies a lot in Texas and used those mouth calls to great effect. Something about the different ways of air flow you need to produce for an elk call gives me a lot trouble. That said, I won't be winning any contests but do good things with a Terminator, a hoochie mama, and a Promos Cowgirl. All are fairly easy to use. You might also look at the Mac Daddy, it doesn't sound as authentic as the Terminator, but its adequate and simple. You can make good cow calls with it too.

Spikes can be pitifully easy to call in, but I've brought in a few cows before just by herd talking. A friend of mine and his brother have actually called in several cows (bulls too) by getting 50yds apart and just bugling bcan and forth at one another.

That said, however, in the times of year you're talking, elk will start being less susceptible to being called in. You might have better luck getting them to respond as a locator, but not many will close the distance much after early October. Also, I don't know how it is in Utah, but in Montana you're much more likely to call in another hunter once gun season starts. I would really recommend you plan on getting some place high and using binos more than calls. Although any tool can help in the right circumstances.

I love Phelps calls and Rocky mountain hunting calls. I also use a phelps bugle tube. I think diaphragms are they best way to go but make sure you get the right size or you will gag Everytime making you not want to practice haha. Also as far as diaphragms go they come in all different configurations. They all come with different widths of latex and typically 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 layers of latex. They all give a slightly different sound and require different amounts of air to blow. The crappy thing with diaphragms is you can't test them in store so it's a lot of buying, trying, and seeing what works. Once you find one you like I recommend sticking with it and buying a few more as backups/replacements. Then just practice. Last year I called in a spike 3 times with just cow calls. In the rut they are easy to call, just learn when and how and you'll be fine.

Primos Terminator for me was the easiest to use for bugling, I now have been using Phelps and Rocky Mountain diaphragms with a Phelps bugle tube it takes lots of practice but sounds really good. I also recommend elknut's elk calling App it allows you to hear the calls and then record yours and compare. For cow calls I use an external reed type from any of the mentions company's with good results. Good luck calling elk it is so addicting.

I use Rocky Mountain diaphragms which have been extremely well to me. It takes A LOT of practice to get down but it’s possible. They are hands free and sound very good. You can do every sound you need with one vs having a hoochie mama and bugle tube. I was just hunting elk this past September in Oregon with a good buddy. He uses the hoochie mama and Primos terminator. He could not get a bull to respond or come in the whole 10 days vs me who had a few every day. Using diaphragms to me just add that realistic touch. But to second JLS the worst bugles I have ever heard have come from big bulls so don’t worry too much about your bugles.

I'm no expert but here are my thoughts. Everyone is talking Diaphram's as you have shown such interest in them but I think you can be making it more difficult than things need to be for a first time caller. One thing to remember is an entire archery season has taken place. Also lots of hunters out scouting, sitting in their camp practicing their calls etc. By October animals can be getting pretty call shy. I would suggest leaving the Bugle behind and picking a couple of different sounding reed cow calls to take along. Put them on your lanyard and get after it. Sometime less is better.
Diaphrams take practice to control volume and gag reflex and as others have said it can take a few to find one that fits your palate.
Primos Cow Girl is one of my favorite reed calls. I have an old cow in heat that I like too. All elk don't sound exactly the same.
Funny side note, and case in point, years ago my buddy and I were driving for hours to our first archery elk hunt and practicing cow calls to a cassette tape we were listening to for the first time. Two hours into the hunt I called in my first bull while my partner was squatted over a topo map and I was practicing. He sounded like a rock slide coming off that knob above us.

These calls are error free. Start with one of these and then advance to a reed call if you want, or just be satisfied with what works!

Basics of calling. Call 2 times Waite 5 then move. Think of it as ringing a door bell. 1st ring gets their attention, 2nd brings them to the door.

These calls are error free. Start with one of these and then advance to a reed call if you want, or just be satisfied with what works!

Basics of calling. Call 2 times Waite 5 then move. Think of it as ringing a door bell. 1st ring gets their attention, 2nd brings them to the door.
Please enlighten me to how you carry this call keeping it readily available to use with little movement. Seriously, I have no idea though I have tried...

When calling, i simply keep it I’m my mouth/teeth. Knowing that I want to move at a slow pace, the Reel Call works great.

If you are hunting in wolf country, elk won’t respond to bugles, cow calling works the best. 106151

When calling, i simply keep it I’m my mouth/teeth. Knowing that I want to move at a slow pace, the Reel Call works great.

If you are hunting in wolf country, elk won’t respond to bugles, cow calling works the best. View attachment 106151
...and when not calling? Pretty much a non answer. I seldom carry a bugle. I carry a variety of cow calls on lanyards. The call sounds great. Now come up with a way to carry it when it is not being used and I will start taking it out rather than leaving it in camp. Carrying it around in my mouth all day is impractical...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back