Caribou Gear Tarp

First trip to Africa

renello

Looks like I will be going to Africa in April to hunt. Got invited to hunt with Marc McNay host of the "Real Deal" on the Wild pursuit network. 10 days of hunting with Kudu my primary target and other antelope as secondary targets. Going with Nongai outfitters. Should be a great experience.

Enjoy! I took my Sharps to Namibia 14ish years ago - wow did that time go by fast! Anyway, it was a lot of fun with the guy we hunted with. But of all the things I hunted (eland being the prime target), I think warthogs were my favorite.

Also, I would say that the one thing I needed to do more of, in advance, was to practice shooting from sticks while standing. Sitting, kneeling and prone are no big deal, but standing is a bit more of an acquired skill and I could have used more of it.

^^^^

Good advice BrentD

May I suggest you plan to use your camera more than your gun, keep a daily day to day journal, and soak in Africa. Sights and sounds and even smells round out the the feel of an other-world place, so different from our customary North American world.

^^^^

Good advice BrentD

May I suggest you plan to use your camera more than your gun, keep a daily day to day journal, and soak in Africa. Sights and sounds and even smells round out the the feel of an other-world place, so different from our customary North American world.
I need to get in this habit for all my outdoor activities... Seems I pass on the time to snap pics or video far too often even though common cell phones have pretty darn good ability and I carry it with for the OnX / mapping, etc.

Best to your hunt Renello! Look forward to your pics and story upon your return! bucket list I fear is one I may not accomplish.

Have you been to Africa before? I've been to South Africa and Zimbabwe, both were amazing experiences. As has already been stated by others, practice standing shots from sticks, keep a journal of everything and wear out your camera. It's going to be lekker!

Wicked advice. I will practice standing shots over tripods in the house this winter and practice breathing, aiming and nice crisp pull on trigger. I will take a lot of pictures with my phone but I should get a lot of great footage as we will have a camera man filming. I will do my best to take it in and post a report on my return.

Looks like I will be going to Africa in April to hunt. Got invited to hunt with Marc McNay host of the "Real Deal" on the Wild pursuit network. 10 days of hunting with Kudu my primary target and other antelope as secondary targets. Going with Nongai outfitters. Should be a great experience.
Is it South Africa?
If so you might already be aware, if not this will cause problems, South African Airlines have announced that from 1st March they will be cancelling all internal flights within South Africa except to Cape Town. At present what this means is there is no one else, besides SA Airlink, who will carry firearms.

I went in 2019 for my first trip and it was awesome. I was making plans on my next trip before I left!! and also Kudu hunting is a blast!!

Attachments

• kudu.jpg
    kudu.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 11
Back