first time.

Eyeguy

Hey there crew. Preparations are underway for the elk hunt in september (going to same place as last year) and I am very excited. Meanwhile I get a chance to kick the dust off and do an archery antelope hunt this weekend. I am going with a friend and he says it will be almost easy.....im still very skeptical. He hasn't seen me shoot yet...haha. I wouldnt think that easy, archery, and antelope every occur in the same sentence very often. Heres what I know. His in-laws have a ton of ground that is loaded with prongs. It is rolling hills and wide open country...ya know...antelope stuff. His father in law puts out a blind or two near some water or in travel routes. I have good optics and good gear. My question is...what should I expect? I am not hunting for a booner.....or even a big goat. I will gladly take any buck that is dumb enough to get into bow range. I plan to sit and glass a lot. Hopefully be able to get a shot if they come to water. If not, I guess I get to play the spot and stalk (and pray) game. Overall it should be fun...and a new experience. Cant wait. Do I need one of those cow boards? Or a funny antelope hat? :) Should be a good time.

If has been dry so very few waterholes then can use a blind on one of the waterholes very effectively. Be sure to not have two windows open opposite each other or your movement will be obvious if an animal looks through the blind. No real need to hide the blind with a lot of brush, etc. Just be quiet. If temperatures are hot, might consider lots of icy water and hunting in your briefs while in the blind.

If lots of water then the blind may not be very productive unless instead move it to be near a funnel point such as where pronghorn go through an open gate or they crawl under a fence.

If doing a stalk, very challenging even on a working farm where pronghorn see people frequently. To get into bow range is different than being a few hundred yards away. You can try waving a bit of white cloth on a pole and see if pronghorn will approach. You can use a decoy and try to approach them.

Good luck.

To get into bow range is different than being a few hundred yards away.

This is exactly what I keep telling him. It may be "easy" with a .270.... but stick and string is another ball game. And thank you very much for the input. Good luck this season!

Last year was the only time I have ever hunted them and we hunted them spot and stalk. It definitely isn't easy but was a good time I got lucky and found a dumb one opening morning. The next couple days we made allot of stalks and usually got busted around 100 yards, my brother missed a big buck at about 60 yards. I'll probably get made fun of but I tried the antelope hat and it actuality does work on some of them I was able to crawl on my knees within 30 yards of some does and fawns. Good luck!

You have to beat the eyes of the does...man they can pick out a tick on a rabbit's ass from 100 yards away. Definitely use a rangefinder. They are odd sized critters and can seem farther away than they really are...that was my biggest lesson when I moved out west and started hunting them after Eastern whitetails. They are quick and can go from standing still to mach 3 in the blink of an eye. If you're on a good water hole, then you can probably be a little picky if you're in relatively dry country, so don't be so quick to pull the trigger. Antelope heart and liver is amazing table fare, so don't leave them in the gut pile. Get the hide off the animal as quick as possible and get them cooled down asap. If you spot and stalk, expect a lot of blown stalks and don't get down on yourself and give up...it's the nature of the beast. Most of all...HAVE FUN and post pics :D

Feel fortunate to have such a spot waiting for you.
Don't expect it to be dry and the water to be the ticket unless that's the on scene report. Where I hunted the other day water and green grass were very plentiful. Sitting on water, unless scouted, would have been a serious waste of time. 3 holes I did a lap around had no antelope tracks near them.
Good luck, it's addicting!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back