Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Time Pointing A Gun At Someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
111909946_medium_1494310801.jpg

True story
I grew up in a small town maybe 500 people. My parents neighbor " guy was in his 40's at the time, didn't drink and was on borough council" Absolute great guy. Anyway around 2am wakes up and hears what he thinks is an argument outside his house in the street. Then he hears what he thinks is a gun shot then more yelling then a car engine racing. So he grabs a handgun from his dresser and runs through his house to his porch where he trips in the dark and falls and accidently discharges the 357 in his hand during the fall. The bullet travels across the street strikes my bedroom and goes thru the wall and lodges 4 feet above my bed in the wall as i was sleeping.

Crazy things happen when people try and be heroes in the dark. The guy hunted all his life and was a competitive target shooter. Just fell and had an accidental discharge when he should have been sleeping and hugging his wife!!!

What really happened? Another neighbors son was working on a demolition derby car and the guys got excited and were yelling around when they got it running and they decided to drive it around the block and the car backfired or sputtered going up the street.

@COEngineer Thanks for sharing. I don't think you overreacted. At 3am no one should be discharging a firearm (accidentally or not) and if they did knowing camps were around them, they should have tried to make themselves as visible as possible, lights on right away, setting their gun down and expecting other people to be on edge and expect to start fielding questions from some not so happy people.

I think it was a year ago someone in California was shooting in tents and robbing campsites and killed a father, luckily his 2 kids were not hurt. That story has stuck with me. Now I try to use my truck as a barrier between the road and my tent as much as possible.

So just a recap you pointed your gun and ordered somebody around who hadn’t done anything illegal or made any verbal threat towards you?
This draft of report was apparently written to summarize and convey the events of said morning to an internet audience.
The loaded rifle was kept at the low ready position, finger off the trigger, muzzle in a safe direction while investigating a suspicious gun shot during the hours of darkness.

Furthermore some names have been changed and events of the evening fictionalized for dramitic purposes.

Agreed!!!!

You should delete immediately, hope some Dbag attorney doesnt get this or he will be looking harder for this guy than cops.

So just a recap you pointed your gun and ordered somebody around who hadn’t done anything illegal or made any verbal threat towards you?

This is not me arguing. Just playing the scenario out in my head.

If I am being honest and if I imagine myself in this situation, self-defense and concern for the safety of my child seems an absolutely paramount concern and a justified one. It is tough for me to see a way to properly address that concern with the information that someone just fired a gun in my vicinity with no reasonable justification do so in the middle of the night, without me having a firearm in my hand. Particularly in the fog of night and sleep and fear.

I don't think one would be wrong to point out that this could go south in any direction, but a proper way to handle the situation without a gun in your hand seems lacking to me.

I know that for a threat to be criminal, in some states it needn't be verbal, which makes perfect sense to me. Dunno about the state this took place in. I am not speaking to the legality of it. I am not a lawyer.

There are certain moral situations that seem formless, and tough to define. I feel like this is one, and one where a perfectly moral person acting on the information they have, could behave in the same manner as the OP.

Put yourself in the other guys shoes. The thread above proves that it could happen to anyone of us. He did something dumb and likely had the crap scared out of him.

Then the accident got elevated into a tragedy level event.

So you can call me Karen or Francis or whatever you want. The OP’s post is a great example of what not to do.

Be my guest and when you get shot for threatening me with a rifle I’m not going to jail. Posting the story on the Internet is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve seen this year.

So you’d shoot me for doing the same thing in OPs post? Lol dude go to bed.

So he grabs a handgun from his dresser and runs through his house to his porch where he trips in the dark and falls and accidently discharges the 357 in his hand during the fall. The bullet travels across the street strikes my bedroom and goes thru the wall and lodges 4 feet above my bed in the wall as i was sleeping.

This is not an accidental discharge, it's a negligent discharge, we've had this debate here umpteen times it feels like...

So you’d shoot me for doing the same thing in OPs post? Lol dude go to bed.
Difference you said you were going to do it. It’s no longer a accidental discharge, you have guilty intent. You are very much in the wrong.

And by the way feel free to go F yourself!

Sheesh, that would pucker anyone up. Gunfire in the pitch dark is never safe. Good job getting her to hit the dirt. I'm glad it turned out as good as it did, I think you handled it well. CO is very clear on deadly force to protect your home, you just have to prove you felt threatened. But anywhere outside your home, it can get weird. I remember a CO case where a guy was basically living at his place of work, a little place above his auto repair garage, but it was not his official home of record. Anyway, that guy lost his make-my-day case because, in the eyes of the court, it was not his home address, but his place of work. I would expect the same mess at a campsite. I'm glad nobody needed to find out.

And what would you have done if the guy didn’t listen to your orders and just walked away or got in his pickup?

I am not here to second guess your actions; whatever the outcome, you are the one who would have had to live with it, regardless of how it turned out.

I received some very good advice a long time ago from a very experienced individual; he said "you have the rest of your life to clear that house". Now he was talking about highly lethal room clearing, but the idea applies to a lot of things. Take your time, because hastiness can be very bad for your health. Brandishing a weapon into a situation you don't understand is a recipe for trouble. I am not saying you shouldn't have been prepared to very quickly defend your family. However, had you remained silent for 4-5 seconds, and observed said individuals without giving away your position and armed status, you might have learned some critical information that would have better informed your actions.

All that said, some things don't belong on the internet.

hard to say how i would've reacted here and i'm not gonna fault OP for anything he may or may not have done. not my place or problem.

all i know is pointing a firearm at a human is an extremely serious thing to do. doing so carries an extraordinary amount of gray area in legality outside of your legal residence in colorado, even if it seems unanimously nonsensical that it wasn't justified.

i just wouldn't be posting about it on the internet if i had is all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back