First Time OYO Elk

TNHUNTER

Looking at a first time OYO elk hunt in colorado this fall - OTC 2nd season. I'm brand new to elk hunting and looking at the San Juan area (elsewhere is fine as well). Any suggestions of where to go or suggested access points? I realize this is a dangerous question and looking more to any tips or pointers anyone may have for me. Don't need to shoot a monster - atleast not the 1st elk... I also noticed a service or two that will pack out an animal - any one have a suggestions of whom to use??

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I have never hunted that are, but I would get the USFS maps and find the trails, roads, and trailheads. I would find the areas with the toughest terrain (lots of it in that area), furthest from roads and trails, then start doing some Google Earth work. Once you settle on some good spots, call the biologist in that area. It might take some time to reach the bio, but it will be worth the effort.

Good luck.

I would use the Elk Hunting University link on the CO DOW website. Excellent planning tool. This link has more CO elk planning tools than you can read this weekend.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/PlanYourHunt/Pages/PlanYourHunt.aspx

Or, call one of their hunt planners who are on the phone to answer many of the questions you just posted -Hunt Planners can be reached at 303-291-PLAN (7526).

I appreciate the info and will look into each of your suggestions. In doing some homework on-line I noticed that Vallecito Lake Outfitters will "place a party" with their own stuff somewhere between Vallecito Reservoir and Lemon Reservoir for a few hundred $. I like the idea of getting as far back as possible. Anyone ever used this particular outfitter or this type service? It would seem that having the option of a horse packing out an elk would give a lot more flexibilty.

I would call some of their past clients and ask how things went.Now you have an area to call the biologists about.To go with a pack in hunt is definitely a good idea for your first trip.Just as long as his references pan out.I'd also consider going in archery if you hunt with a bow.the elk are very vocal and alot easier to locate.just give yourself enough time to figure them out;6-7 days minimum

TNHUNTER
I am going this year also, first time OTC 2nd rifle with my brother who has lived in Colorado and possibly one other guy if he decides to eat the money has has already laid down for a cabin for a NY bow hunt. Anyhow, online scouting and research on the DOW website has led to a few areas I'm looking hard at, 521 in the SW, 12, 23, 24 in the NW. Our plan is camp as far as the truck will go and hunt every day with enough in the pack to stay the night if need be. May sound a little crazy that late in the year but its our plan so far. I look forward to hearing what folks have to say.

Flat Tops 23, 24 gets a lot of ATV pressure and when the elk get pressured they go to private. Probably not going to find a little piece of ground for yourself to hunt; will have to contend with a bunch of other hunters IMO.

Thanks for the scoop on 23, 24 Mav5. Just the type of info I am looking for, not here to snoop on any ones private hot spots. Anything learned the easy way leaves more time for the real lessons.

If you are seriously considering using a *drop* outfitter ask LOTS and lots of questions and ask for references, but don't always rely on them as they could be from Bubba who is an outfitter's brothers or cousin. By and large most of the guys that hang out here will not steer you in the wrong direction. Just do your homework and you should be good to go.

Be very careful on a drop camp. Find out if the outfitter takes drop camp hunters at the same time he takes guided hunters. If so don't go. Now way he is going to put you in a camp with good elk numbers when he could take his guided hunters in there. How would it look if you killed a nice bull and his guided hutners who are paying 4 times as much don't? Some outfitters only take drop camps during certains seasons, most likely the worst season to hunt. Just be careful.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back