First time loading Nosler Partitions

Alot of bullets are designed for much better penetration than the SST. Accubond, is great all around bullet. Most will agree with that.
Put a ballistic gell test of the Accubond up against the Hornady ELD-X , Nosler BT ( big game not varmit), and the SST.
They all fragment quite a bit at less than 150yrds.
Yes penetration is better with the Accubond and the ELD-X.
But the question you have to answer is, just how much penetration do you need?
A bullet that passes completely through game takes alot of it's energy with it as it goes on to who knows where.
The bullet that goes in 4-8", expands completely, and sheds petals of shrapnel in multiple directions, does so while dumping all those ft. pounds of energy into the animal.
Not that a complete pass through is bad. If shooting long distance, 400+ , the extra penetration will likely be needed to get deep enough.
But at less, it's really wasted energy. In reality the end result is a dead animal regardless of the bullet on most game out to 400yrds.
But, many times the fast expansion, and energy dump all at the same time, will result in a quick kill with no blood trail.
The likely distance to the game and the body density of that game will be what makes the want or lack there of for a dense bonded bullet.
If you need a Particular type or brand of bullet to be more confident, there is nothing wrong with that.
But under 400yds I don't think there is anything wrong with the SST.

I feel pretty sure a glass marble going 2,000+ fps is gonna kill most animal it hits in the boiler room.
To each his own.
For the record I only hunt with glass marbles with my sling shot.
And mostly for rabbits.

Alot of bullets are designed for much better penetration than the SST. Accubond, is great all around bullet. Most will agree with that.
Put a ballistic gell test of the Accubond up against the Hornady ELD-X , Nosler BT ( big game not varmit), and the SST.
They all fragment quite a bit at less than 150yrds.
Yes penetration is better with the Accubond and the ELD-X.
But the question you have to answer is, just how much penetration do you need?
A bullet that passes completely through game takes alot of it's energy with it as it goes on to who knows where.
The bullet that goes in 4-8", expands completely, and sheds petals of shrapnel in multiple directions, does so while dumping all those ft. pounds of energy into the animal.
Not that a complete pass through is bad. If shooting long distance, 400+ , the extra penetration will likely be needed to get deep enough.
But at less, it's really wasted energy. In reality the end result is a dead animal regardless of the bullet on most game out to 400yrds.
But, many times the fast expansion, and energy dump all at the same time, will result in a quick kill with no blood trail.
The likely distance to the game and the body density of that game will be what makes the want or lack there of for a dense bonded bullet.
If you need a Particular type or brand of bullet to be more confident, there is nothing wrong with that.
But under 400yds I don't think there is anything wrong with the SST.

I feel pretty sure a glass marble going 2,000+ fps is gonna kill most animal it hits in the boiler room.
To each his own.
For the record I only hunt with glass marbles with my sling shot.
And mostly for rabbits.
Thanks and yes what you said about dumping every last bit of energy into the animal is exactly why I love the SST for Ky whitetails I generally recover the core near or on the skin of the offside. I pretty much get ugly exits on FL whitetails. But it flat puts KY bucks down in their tracks. You've given me something to think about. I'm super comfortable and have the utmost confidence that when I pull the trigger with my SSTs I will hit where I am aiming and shot location is very important, which is one reason I was looking to close the group size on the noslers.

Hahahahahaha! Thanks man needed a laugh today. I'd be more comfortable with the SSTs if I only had a mule deer tag, but I have a bear tag in my hand also. I was hoping for the extra penetration. I ordered some accubonds today. I've got a few months before the hunt so I got time to load a few tests. Jump test is up next for the partitions when I get off work this week.
You'll never regret using accubonds. They are the gold standard for lead hunting bullets, in my opinion.

You'll never regret using accubonds. They are the gold standard for lead hunting bullets, in my opinion.
I would tend to agree with this, generally.

However, I'm developing a real appreciation for Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. My best loads in .308 are with this bullet. I think the design is great. The only thing I've shot with it was a mid-sized bear, but it certainly did what it ought at 250yds.

I'm honestly not sure why you don't feel confident with the 150SST. Bear and deer are not tough animals, and the 270 isn't pushing the bullet fast enough for a total failure (unless you get a sub 100yd shot). ALso, the 150SST has good sectional density, so it can handle loosing a few grains off the front of the bullet while still managing good penetration.

I suggest reading the Ballistics Research article to learn more about that specific cartridge/bullet combo https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.270+Winchester.html

"For best results, the 150 grain SST should be annealed in candle flame (see 7mm Rem mag). Once softened, the reloader has in his or her possession, an excellent all round bullet. Wounding is outstanding, penetration is outstanding (for a conventional cup and core design) and performance on game is uniform from point blank out to around 450 yards. The annealed 150 grain SST is suitable for a wide range of animals from the lightest and leanest of game through to heavily shielded Boar. This really is a go-to load for the .270 but for best results, needs to be loaded to 2900fps and above, which in most cases requires a chronograph to monitor performance."

I say go with what has worked well for you in the past.

I'm not to convinced that the so called annealing of a bullet works any better. In the case of the SST, the heat needed to get it hot enough to have any affects, would have to melt the tip.
Maybe on non tipped bullets.
But that's something I have never even considered trying.
Basically trying to bond the core with heat.
To each their own though.

Alright so i'm going muley hunting second rifle season in CO. For FL and KY Whitetails I run 150g Hornaday SST's and they flat out whack and stack deer. I hear from here and other places Nosler partitions are the way to go for elk and Muleys. Here is my issue:
My .270win rifle loves the load I built with the horn 150g SSts. 150g Nosler partition, new Remington Brass, H4831 powder, CCI #200 LR primer, .020 jump. My best 100yard 4 round group so far is 1.250" not horrible, but my SST's are sub .750" all day long dropping much lower when I have my poop in a group that day. This is my first charge test so I am hoping I can take my best group verify and then start playing with the Jump and tighten it up some. Do you guys find Nosler partitions to be as accurate as other rounds? Or am I aiming for a 1" group and call it a day. I'm not worried about bench shooting them I try to keep my shots to sub 300 yards on Whitetails and muleys will be no exception although I do practice further then that to stay sharp.

Why would the SST's not work for Mulies? I actually find NP tougher to shoot small groups with. I can't reacall any I can get to shoot under MOA actually.

If you got them to 1" at 100, I'd be pretty happy with that. You'd definitely knock down an elk with no worries.

Why would the SST's not work for Mulies? I actually find NP tougher to shoot small groups with. I can't reacall any I can get to shoot under MOA actually.

If you got them to 1" at 100, I'd be pretty happy with that. You'd definitely knock down an elk with no worries.
Thanks for all the replies guys. And after shooting a broad seating depth test and not getting any better results. I am just going to run the SSTs for mule deer and black bear this hunt. This is our first CO hunt so next year IF I decide to drop the $ on an elk tag I am going to attempt to load Accubonds. Honestly the group with NPs is good enough to hunt with, but confidence is a huge thing for me. I know that when I pick my spot with the SSTs and execute my shot I hit exactly where I am aiming within reason. With the NPs I just don’t know that it will do it want if I get an opportunity at an extended range and refuse to take a shot that I don’t KNOW I will make. Yes things happen, but I want to minimize everything I possibly can I feel I owe that to the animal. This whole thing started because I was listing to some guys that claimed SSTs are good on mule deer and black bear. This forum and another have proven otherwise and I thank all of you for you input here and the messages with wound pics and stories.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back