First Time Hunter: CO Mule Deer Archery.

Hi All,

I am currently going through my first big game application. Long story short, hunting in my family skipped a generation since I am a first generation American. My parents moved to the US (Chicago) from Poland and my dad never got into hunting after moving. My grandfather was a big hunter though. Now that I have settled down in Denver, I am hoping to change that and got my hunter's ed card in January.

I am interested in bowhunting and will be taking lessons here shortly. I have taken a few introductory classes using a traditional recurve and will be moving on to a compound soon.

I am primarily interested in mule deer, since more than likely I will be solo and will need to pack out whatever I hunt (assuming the unlikely event of success). I get a near panic attack thinking about having to pack out an elk, but that's a problem for next year or the year after that.

My plans are to "day hunt" since the logistics of a backcountry overnight trip are a bit daunting at the moment. I want to simplify things as much as I can since there is so much to learn. As a result, I am looking at places within a 90 minute drive of southeast Denver.

As a result of the above requirements (90 minutes drive, mule deer, archery) I have come to the following second and third choice options for my application:
  • 2nd choice - GMU 29 (~45% as second choice)
  • 3rd choice - GMU 38 (there are always leftovers since this is apparently a terrible GMU)
What I'm stuck on is my first choice. I live in GMU 104, but it seems like there are no opportunities to hunt here. Looking at the stats from last year, I would have a decent shot at drawing even with zero points. However, all the land is private and if someone has a good arrangement with a landowner, they tend to keep it to themselves (I've done some research). Outfitters are charging about $7000 for a hunt out here, which I don't have to spend unless I win the lottery. I am also considering GMU 87 since there appears to be some public land available, but I would have a roughly 20% chance of drawing (looking at last year's odds). I also like the idea of a plains hunt since the season is later in the year, so I would have more time to prepare.

Getting down to it, here are my questions:
  1. How could I go about finding land to hunt on in GMU 104? If anyone has any leads, please message me.
  2. Is GMU 87 worth putting in for and hunting on public land? It looks like there are a few SWAs and the Pawnee NG.
  3. Are there any other GMUs within a 90 minute drive of Denver that I should be considering with 0 preference points?
  4. Should I just put in for a preference point and hunt either in 29 or 38? This is my first time hunting, so my chances of success are already low. I would like to learn a bunch this year and with the preference point, I'll have more choices next year.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I think you should buy points for this year, take more lessons and practice a TON between now and the fall. If you're feeling great (GREAT, not just ok) about your archery skills by the time hunting season rolls around, pick up a leftover doe tag and go hunt, which may have to be in a unit farther than 90 minutes from your house. You don't have to do backcountry, just car camp it...

I think you should buy points for this year, take more lessons and practice a TON between now and the fall. If you're feeling great (GREAT, not just ok) about your archery skills by the time hunting season rolls around, pick up a leftover doe tag and go hunt, which may have to be in a unit farther than 90 minutes from your house. You don't have to do backcountry, just car camp it...

Thanks for the input!

That's what I was leaning towards. I don't want to be at 0 points again next year. Looks like it's either 29 or 38 for me this year, which is fine because my wife loves hiking in that area so I will have ample scouting opportunities.

Time to hit the range. Hard.

Make sure to get an elk point also. Even tough you don’t want to hunt them this year, you will eventually want to hunt them.

I think this is the best course of action and picking up an elk point like Pelican said wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Imo hunt every year. So many animals in every unit in Colorado. Practice up. I dont know draw stats up there but there is a lot of state land along the river east on i76. Animals are easy to find( doesnt mean easy to kill) but I would figure out how to get a tag every year

Back