First Time Elk Hunting, DIY Idaho

Kurtisb1994

Hello all first time posting to the forum! I plan on doing a DIY rifle elk hunt this year in Idaho as they offer DAV tag pricing for non residents which is awesome! This will be my first ever elk hunt, and first time hunting Idaho. I used to live in Shoshone, ID back in high school but I was busy chasing girls not elk. I dont currently have anyone to go with me so if anyone wanted to tag along I would be more than open. I am coming from Arkansas and plan to spend the next 10 months researching, researching, and researching to learn all about Idaho elk hunting. If you have any advice for general areas I would greatly appreciate it! Don't want your honey hole, just some good general areas to take a deep look into! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service and good luck in Idaho. I have had 3 successful (of 5) Elk hunts during Oct. in Idaho as an out of state hunter. As a Washingtonian I would say the panhandle of the state has some rough country (steep) and it's what I have hunted. Don't know much about things further south or east and may decide to check that out the next time I am there. The hunting is much like Washington during that time of year and looking for a bull can be a challenge as they tend to be in full sanctuary mode at that time but it obviously can be done just prepare to work and don't take it all too seriously. Have fun. If you can find a partner or two it would surely make life exponentially easier even if you don't get an elk. I am hoping to get back to Idaho next year 2021 0r 2022 but this years Oct will be spent in Wyoming hopefully chasing pronghorn. Once gain thanks for the service and have fun planning your hunt.

Welcome! I also hunt in Idaho thanks to their DAV tag allotment. My best friend and I have hit it hard the past couple years, and as amazing as the trips have been, we have not punched any tags. We have passed on cow elk with our bows, and younger mule deer, just haven’t had a shot on a bull or seen a shooter buck yet.

It’s big country, everywhere! Takes a long time to learn - we haven’t even scratched the surface. Since we live in Montana, we have been hunting throughout eastern and central Idaho. It’s all good! Good luck, be active on the forum, lots of good stuff here.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have set my mind on 30A for the year and like most of yall I will be happy just to be out hunting. Its my first elk trip so I definitely dont expect to be successful but do welcome it if it happens. Waiting to hear back from biologist for more information on the unit good luck to everyone this year, and if anyone ever needs tips on Arkansas whitetail hunting all you gotta do is sit in a tree and wait for em :)

I should also state that I have changed plans from a rifle hunt to an Archery hunt so I can take either bull or cow! Cant eat the antlers :)

DAV here also. Spent last 3 years in unit 67. Steep, country but have managed a close bow encounter each year but unfortunately the shot never presented itself. Beautiful and majestic animals! Two 5 night solo hunts each Sep with a day back at the campground in between. Be prepared for temps in the 30s-80s at 8000ft and at least a day of rain. Enjoy, BPT learn a lot, stay positive and keep at it.

Is it mandatory for new guys to say..."I don't want your honey hole". Who but a total dummy would give out their honey hole?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back