First time elk hunter in Idaho

jeffraines

Planning on picking up an Idaho A tag and hunting archery this year. I’ve seen the idea that some zones are more “beginner” friendly but it’s mostly in older threads and not sure of the current relevance.

I had thought about Salmon or Beaverhead but at 12 hours away I think trying to go for a 5 day scouting trip plus a trip or two out for the hunt itself might be asking a bit much... but if that’s my best bet then I guess I’ll make it work.

Would love to discuss beginner zones via pm and what to expect(hunter pressure, access, etc). I’ve done some reading on elk101 and some other resources so I’m not looking for someone to send me spots/locations of the nearest biggest bull that has been recently begging for an arrow from a complete newbie.

Thanks in advance guys.

Guess I am not sure what you mean by a beginner zone? Idaho is really diverse. Some zones are very conducive to glassing, others not at all. Most all of it is steep. Some is really steep.

Guess I am not sure what you mean by a beginner zone? Idaho is really diverse. Some zones are very conducive to glassing, others not at all. Most all of it is steep. Some is really steep.

I guess I should've mentioned some more stuff in my first post. Most of my hunting is in the alpine of the cascades for bear during the fall these days - trying to branch out and try some other stuff. I'd say the stuff I'm used to is fairly steep, but then again I'm not looking at packing a 400+lb animal out of there either.

As far as beginner units, I wasn't exactly sure either... but I figure I shouldn't leave any stone unturned. I realize there a high chance of me coming away with nothing but an experience to show for my efforts and thats okay... I just figure between driving 8-12 hours and actually having a decent chance at an elk vs. the way overcrowded units we have here(some units are half the size of the units in ID and host double or more hunters, one unit is 72k acres and at one point a year or two ago had 1k archery guys hunting it) and having to hunt spikes I should probably bite the bullet and just try somewhere else.

I think your best bet is to search IDFG website for hunter success rates. Then find a zone/unit with decent success as close to you as you can. There are no secret OTC elk units...there are spots within some units that continually produce until someone blows them up on chat forums. The kill rates give an idea of what to expect. If 15-20% of people are killing elk in an OTC unit, it is very good, but most are lower than that. They all get hammered and there is plenty of public land. The trick is picking one zone, hunting hard and moving around it until you find elk. OTC elk hunting becomes exponentially better each time you go, so pick one an invest.

Best of luck!

Planning on picking up an Idaho A tag and hunting archery this year. I’ve seen the idea that some zones are more “beginner” friendly but it’s mostly in older threads and not sure of the current relevance.
I had thought about Salmon or Beaverhead but at 12 hours away I think trying to go for a 5 day scouting trip plus a trip or two

I guess i dont understand how your getting a tag, do you mean applying for controlled hunt? Salmon only has a b tag and its sold out beaverhead is all controlled hunt i think, i assume at 12 hours your a nonres. First step might be spend some time on idaho G& F and look at what tags u can get

I guess i dont understand how your getting a tag, do you mean applying for controlled hunt? Salmon only has a b tag and its sold out beaverhead is all controlled hunt i think, i assume at 12 hours your a nonres. First step might be spend some time on idaho G& F and look at what tags u can get
Salmon zone also has an A tag.

I think your best bet is to search IDFG website for hunter success rates. Then find a zone/unit with decent success as close to you as you can. There are no secret OTC elk units...there are spots within some units that continually produce until someone blows them up on chat forums. The kill rates give an idea of what to expect. If 15-20% of people are killing elk in an OTC unit, it is very good, but most are lower than that. They all get hammered and there is plenty of public land. The trick is picking one zone, hunting hard and moving around it until you find elk. OTC elk hunting becomes exponentially better each time you go, so pick one an invest.

Best of luck!

A couple salmon units, a lot of the beaverheads and brownlee all boast over 20% success which is initially why I was looking in that direction. However, I wonder how skewed it is with outfitters and private in some places you know? Talking to someone with some experience hunting the units prior would be awesome not for “spots” but just to temper my expectations further.

A couple salmon units, a lot of the beaverheads and brownlee all boast over 20% success which is initially why I was looking in that direction. However, I wonder how skewed it is with outfitters and private in some places you know? Talking to someone with some experience hunting the units prior would be awesome not for “spots” but just to temper my expectations further.
Those success rates might be skewed by the A tag greenfield cow hunts. These are essentially farm depredation hunts and can be pretty easy if you have access or know how to OnX the edges of private.

Those success rates might be skewed by the A tag greenfield cow hunts. These are essentially farm depredation hunts and can be pretty easy if you have access or know how to OnX the edges of private.
I believe hes right about these greefield tags and the % rates, they have really been trying to lessen the damage the elk are doing to AG fields

I figured there may have been something else going on there with success rates.

Is something similar happening with Brownlee as well?

I figured there may have been something else going on there with success rates.

Is something similar happening with Brownlee as well?

Yes. Anywhere you see a tag which is Antlerless Only within 1 mile of Agricultural ground, starting August 1st, that is a "Greenfield" hunt.

Yes. Anywhere you see a tag which is Antlerless Only within 1 mile of Agricultural ground, starting August 1st, that is a "Greenfield" hunt.
Nice to know. I noticed that in the regs because it’s usually billed as any weapon and outside of NF(or within one mile of private or something like that) I just didn’t know how much effect that has on the overall percentage.

I wish there was a way to exclude those in the harvest statistics - I would love to know the actual public land harvest percentage.

Are there any resources besides biologists where I could get an idea of elk density/populations?

At the risk of being banned from HT. I do not use goHunt. I do not because I'm a homebody who is doesn't travel out of state much any more. But for anyone who is, goHunt is the best compilation of these numbers you will find. Their data scientists have put together something that will answer your questions easier than DIY on the IDFG website.

Follow this link to the HT Forums discount/promo code link for goHunt.

For a limited time, forum Bossmang @BigFin is partnering with goHunt on a Wyoming Governor's tag raffle entry for those who use the promo code to subscribe to the "Insider" service. You need insider status to run interactive queries on harvest results, tag draw odds, harvest details, hunter numbers, etc.

It's around $100 to get Insider status, but there are regularly free trial offers. Using the promo code gets you about half the subscription price back in coupon credit in the goHunt gear shop.

Dr Kenneth Wallen at the University of Idaho is doing research into public/private land usage by hunters in Idaho. He may be able to help you as well. He is working in partnership with IDFG on this project:

Cool stuff

Nice to know. I noticed that in the regs because it’s usually billed as any weapon and outside of NF(or within one mile of private or something like that) I just didn’t know how much effect that has on the overall percentage.

I wish there was a way to exclude those in the harvest statistics - I would love to know the actual public land harvest percentage.

Are there any resources besides biologists where I could get an idea of elk density/populations?

On the IDFG website you can go to Science -> Wildlife Reports and look at the annual statewide elk report that gives an overview with trends/data. Some nice high level info. Also the current elk management plan has similar info. There are some older studies on modeling and ecology in the areas that I hunt and it seems to me that a lot of the info is still relevant. For ID info I feel like the IDFG harvest stats and draw odds are easier to view than Go Hunt. Probably partially due to me spending way more time on the IDFG website.

I don't know that you would be able to find the actual public land harvest % for any units. For first time hunting in ID I think the key would be having multiple areas in the unit/zone picked to check out and the ability to be mobile with a truck camp. A summer scouting trip would always be nice, so being closer to where you are in WA would help like you mentioned in the first post. One issue I find with the northern units (mainly the panhandle) is that I have been within 50 yards of elk multiple times and not able to see them due to the thick brush/trees. Even when you to have a vantage point where you can see another ridge/slope its usually too thick to see elk even if they are there. It can be discouraging, but when you look at overall harvest #s the areas in the north can be quite productive. And heavy pressure comes along with it. It would be interesting to see the % of NRs for the non-capped elk zones, which I don't think is available anywhere.

Beaverheads is a great unit. I can’t give to much details because I was shown the area from my good buddy, the Llama lover himself, Beau Baty. It was the first year of him using Llamas so we went in very deep because we didn’t have to worry about a pack out. For most units, expect a long and tough pack out it you want a lot of opportunity. The thought of packing an elk out 5 or more miles is what keeps most the hunters out of those spots and is why the elk are there.

Success in Archery hunts is tough to calculate. Those odds just show the harvest, not the opportunity. The opportunity to shoot is just the beginning of archery hunting. Finding a shooting lane and making the shot is a whole different story. Out of all the friends we had hunt with us, we only killed one branched antler bull, and two spikes. Yet everyone had multiple opportunities at branches antlers bulls. Sometimes the shooter wasn’t ready, elk moved behind a tree, twigs deflected arrows, and shooting too high or too low because of miss judged distances (or bull fever). In Idaho, just about every unit has potential for amazing hunting. Just have to get back further and scout harder than the other hunters.

And if you find a good spot that would be more of a pack out than you think you can handle, Contact Beau with Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas and rent a couple Llamas. It will make the hunt a lot better.

Thank you for the insight - and I can completely understand not sharing info on spots that aren’t yours! I’ve had buddies get burned sharing their own spots with people they thought were cool only to find out they told their friends, who invited their friends, and next thing you know my buddy rolls into camp only to find his buddy and 5 more guys he’s never met hunting the area.

My definition of “success”, for this hunt especially, is a shot opportunity on a legal animal, and at least a few encounters. Doesn’t have to end with an animal on the ground or even getting to send an arrow.

Like I originally mentioned, staying closer would be nice as I might be able to swing an early(opener) trip and then maybe a mid month trip. If I end up in the salmon or Beaverhead I’d likely pick a week or so and just have time for one hunting trip... I’m totally okay with that if my chances are better over there, but if my chances are no different I feel like being able to go twice might make the closer option the better one because of the extra time.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I’ll be going solo so I’m also trying to keep access in mind as well as keeping it real with how deep I’m gonna be able to go.

Thank you for the insight - and I can completely understand not sharing info on spots that aren’t yours! I’ve had buddies get burned sharing their own spots with people they thought were cool only to find out they told their friends, who invited their friends, and next thing you know my buddy rolls into camp only to find his buddy and 5 more guys he’s never met hunting the area.

My definition of “success”, for this hunt especially, is a shot opportunity on a legal animal, and at least a few encounters. Doesn’t have to end with an animal on the ground or even getting to send an arrow.

Like I originally mentioned, staying closer would be nice as I might be able to swing an early(opener) trip and then maybe a mid month trip. If I end up in the salmon or Beaverhead I’d likely pick a week or so and just have time for one hunting trip... I’m totally okay with that if my chances are better over there, but if my chances are no different I feel like being able to go twice might make the closer option the better one because of the extra time.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I’ll be going solo so I’m also trying to keep access in mind as well as keeping it real with how deep I’m gonna be able to go.

With llamas are perfect for solo hunts. Super easy to take care of, you can Camp in comfort, and have an easy time getting your elk out. Plus they are fun to have around.

I had thought about Salmon or Beaverhead but at 12 hours away I think trying to go for a 5 day scouting trip plus a trip or two out for the hunt itself might be asking a bit much... but if that’s my best bet then I guess I’ll make it work.

Would love to discuss beginner zones via pm and what to expect(hunter pressure, access, etc). I’ve done some reading on elk101 and some other resources so I’m not looking for someone to send me spots/locations of the nearest biggest bull that has been recently begging for an arrow from a complete newbie.

Thanks in advance guys.
Hey, I am also a archery elk hunter and am looking for a hunting partner for calling and packing. I have been scouting a area and have seen lots of elk. Are you by chance in the Boise area?

Back