Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First Southwestern US hunting trip 2022 Oryx (picture heavy)

@WNC2500, let me know if you need any good recipes for all that fabulous meat you harvested. I've got a couple oryx meat favorites that melt in your mouth. Although, the only real way to screw up oryx meat up is too overcook it.

@Brentc I am game for anything. I will take anything you got. Wife and I are excited to try it. Ended up getting like 140 lbs. Got the meat back on Friday AM, and thawing some steaks out to try. Please you, or anyone else, give me recipes to try.

Also, what to do with the ground oryx? Anyone got ideas, or recipes. Hook a brother up!! We were going to do the normal, spaghetti thing, or stroganoff maybe. But, I am open.

@Brentc I am game for anything. I will take anything you got. Wife and I are excited to try it. Ended up getting like 140 lbs. Got the meat back on Friday AM, and thawing some steaks out to try. Please you, or anyone else, give me recipes to try.

Also, what to do with the ground oryx? Anyone got ideas, or recipes. Hook a brother up!! We were going to do the normal, spaghetti thing, or stroganoff maybe. But, I am open.
I had an on range hunt in December. I butchered it myself and besides steaks, stew, and roast made italian sausage, breakfast sausage, chirizo, bacon burger and standard ground. We replaced all our red meat with Oryx and use it like we would any ground meat, tacos, meatloaf, meatballs … tonight we had Lasagne. The meat sauce was made with a traditional bolognese sauce except the meat was Oryx.

First meal of Oryx was this evening. Sweet potatoes, fried squash, and garlic marinated oryx bites. Oh my gosh, it was amazing.
But, I am still game, and open to any oryx recipes.
Thaw some backstrap steaks, salt them with sea salt, let them sit in the fridge salted for at least an hour, cook them in the oven at 190°until the steaks reach 95° Internal temp. Pull them out of the oven and reverse sear in a cast iron skillet in a thin layer of unsalted butter for 1 minute on each side. Season with fresh ground pepper and savor the 'melt in your mouth' meat.

For grilling, preseason with sea salt in the fridge for at least an hour, coat your steaks in olive oil, then season with your favorite rub. Cook to 135° for best flavor.

For marinade, season the meat with salt and marinate for at least two hours in 3 parts olive oil to 1 part white vinegar. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning and cook on the grill to 135°. Be careful, the marinade dripping into the grill will flame.

The important thing about oryx is to keep it under 140° for best flavor and tenderness.

Last edited:
If there is one thing that I noticed in New Mexico, the trees, the cactus, the pokey plants, everything tried to harm me!! Lol!

I did also notice and find a Pope & Young tumbleweed!

View attachment 219030

View attachment 219031

Whether I was walking, sitting, standing up, walking around, something was always stuck into my leg, hand, head etc.
New Mexico plants fight back!!
Every plant in New Mexico have thorns on them, and I live here. But we have things like Barbary sheep , ibex , oryx and bighorn. Not to exclude HUGE elk and deer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back