First Southwestern US hunting trip 2022 Oryx (picture heavy)

Pretty impressive to have the good of a hunt off range IMO, congrats!!! I took a bull way back in 2009 on range but would love to go again.. They definitely make a great mount!

Congrats on a great hunt and write up. Looks like you got a nice bull.

I've hunted them several times in South Africa, and because of that, I've never thought about hunting them here.

If there is one thing that I noticed in New Mexico, the trees, the cactus, the pokey plants, everything tried to harm me!! Lol!

I did also notice and find a Pope & Young tumbleweed!

View attachment 219030

View attachment 219031

Whether I was walking, sitting, standing up, walking around, something was always stuck into my leg, hand, head etc.
New Mexico plants fight back!!

I had the same thought when I drew my elk tag in NM in ‘19. Coming from NC I never knew there were so many kinds of cactus!

Ok, breathing is set! Check! Range is 386, check! Oryx bull is broadside….awesome! Adjust my bino harness as a rear rest and back on the animal. No longer broadside but he is quartered toward me. Crosshairs between neck and left front shoulder. Breathing set! Nice and easy pull on the trigger, gun fires and he hits the ground. No other shot is needed.

Walk up on him and he is even more amazing of an animal than I have ever seen or thought I would hunt. Huge animal! Wow!

View attachment 219034View attachment 219036

Great hunt, great pictures and write-up!
Congratulations!

Awesome hunt I really hope my name is in some NM computer right as we speak with an Oryx tag attached. Or any tag for that matter but I really want to try Oryx meat and experience that trip.

@CPAjeff What are you doing working on TAX DAY? You don't have time for this. Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks sir. Thoroughly enjoyed NM.

LOL - luckily for me I don’t work much with taxes!! I spend most of my time in consulting work, some auditing and financial statement analysis.

Those tax folks are wicked smart, I’m not! 🤣

Congrats again - can’t wait to hear how the steaks taste!

That cow looked very respectable. Hardly what I would call little. I'm glad you held out for the bull. In Africa cows can drop calves any time of year and it's not very pleasing to see the tracker pull out a fetus. My cow was an escapee and had been isolated on the wrong property for more than a year so no chance she was bred.

Why is the season open now? Interesting.

Thanks for posting. And yes, gemsbuck is incredible eating. Best red meat ever to pass my gums.

That cow looked very respectable. Hardly what I would call little. I'm glad you held out for the bull. In Africa cows can drop calves any time of year and it's not very pleasing to see the tracker pull out a fetus. My cow was an escapee and had been isolated on the wrong property for more than a year so no chance she was bred.

Why is the season open now? Interesting.

Thanks for posting. And yes, gemsbuck is incredible eating. Best red meat ever to pass my gums.

@OntarioHunter Saw a couple cows with very small calves, and saw some cows very pregnant.

Cool story! You having seen so many has me feeling better about our chances. My daughter just drew an off range youth tag for November. It can't get here soon enough!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back