first rifle scope

tchartwick

I just picked up a tikka t3x hunter in 308.
I'm trying to decide what glass to get it. i want to set the gun up hunting opposed to target. the farthest my range goes is 300 yards and the hunting distance will probably be less then that. im a bit confused on how much i should be spending. i obviously want it to hold zero and dont want the glass fogging. the place where i got the gun showed me a few scopes i liked the Burris droptine over the vortex crossfire but there current selection sort of went up to the 1000.00 scopes with no middle priced ones. i didn't know leupold stopped making the vx2. i haven't herd a lot about the vx freedom. i did read good things about the droptine and fullfield scopes. i would appreciate opinions on this.
i am reading about scopes to get a better understanding.
thanks.

I like my Nikon prostaff 7 and 5. mid range pricing but can't help with the ones you've mentioned

I should add that what I heard is the VX Freedom scope is like a VX1.5 its better than the VX 1 but not as good as the VX 2. I can't quantify that knowledge with facts, just what I heard while looking into it awhile back...

I like HD/ED glass - I have a Nikon Monarch 5ED on one tikka, a Leupold VX5HD on a second and a Leupold VX6HD on the third. Ballpark prices, $400, $750, $1250 respectively. I used to have a Prostaff 7 and a Monarch 3 on two of the tikkas - shot things dead, but I really do appreciate the upgrade to HD/ED low dispersion glass. I know Vortex is a big deal in some circles, but my two hunting buddies who swore by them found themselves swearing at them and have both begun to moved towards Leupold and Nikon depending on their budget. I do have a Leupold VX3i on my .270 highwall, it's better than the Prostaff 7, comparable to the Monarch 3, not as nice as the 3 HD/ED ones.

Nikon and Vortex have improved a lot over the last several years. The clarity on the Nikon rifle scopes is phenomenal and the quality of the components on the vortex is quite good.

Might want to take a look at them as well. Save a little bit of money also.

Last edited:
I love the Leupold 6x42mm and 6x36mm fixed scopes and they would serve you well. A Leupold 3-10x40mm or a 4.5-14x40mm both with the B&C reticle would also be outstanding.

Per your specifications, with a 308, I don't see any reason to go beyond a Leupold 2X7 V1. Predator Optics usually has them around $200. I have one on my 338 Fed and would never, ever think of changing it.

I just shot my tikka .30/06 with the VX3 3.5-10x40 and my Rem 700 .25/06 with a VX2 3-9x 40 that is 4 or 5 years old. Both are great scopes, but I found myself wishing I had the VX3 on both rifles. I don't have a lot of experience with many other scopes but the VX3 seems like a really great scope for the money. For my purposes I don't see a reason to spend any more on anything "nicer".

Leupold's VX-3 and VX-3i are great scope for the money. I like them a lot for optical clarity, features, and overall size/weight. But if your budget allows the VX-5HD is awesome.

Leupold's VX-3 and VX-3i are great scope for the money. I like them a lot for optical clarity, features, and overall size/weight. But if your budget allows the VX-5HD is awesome.
I firmly agree as an old dinosaur whose live on a budget, I've shot everything from Tasco to Leupold, and as someone with vast knowledge and infinite wisdom I am going to tell you this. Don't let your desire for the best over rule your budget. Today the mid range scopes are better than the top dogs of just a few years ago, and don't fall for the warranty hype. If the company is reputable they will help or work with you, if not never spend another penny with them and tell all your friends. Get the best that your budget afords and then upgrade as life gets GOODER. I just bought my first VX-5HD and all I can say is "DAMN" however I still have vx-3 and vxIII's that I shoot on a regular basis.

A vx-3i 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 are great mid range scopes and would be worth it if that is in your budget. Like everyone else keeps mentioning, it would be worth sending a message to Schmalts. Great deals.

I just bought my first scope and Schmaltz helped me out. I picked up a Howa Kuiu .308 and wasn’t sure what to buy. I told him what I wanted out of the gun and he sold me a Leupold VX3-I 4.5 x 14. Gave me a great deal. Can’t wait to get it mounted and hit the range.

I was always using Nikon scopes and I would still probably use them if they didn't stop producing them. When you are buying a scope it is important that you buy a good one. I was in need of a new scope and I knew that I should spend a bit more because there is no point in buying crappy scope. I ended up buying night vision scope and I really love it. The model I have bought is ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 5-20X. It is day and night scope capable of many things. It is great when hunting and it makes it easier. I like that I can make really good hunting videos with it.

Last edited:
I’m seeing Nikon being recommended a lot in this thread, but remember that Nikon has quit making riflescopes and no one knows how they will be handling the warranty in the future. There are some decent deals on them right now, but they are all old stock.

I’m a fan of a Luepold scope over Vortex for the price point that I can afford (I’ve never been able to spend more than $350 out the door on a scope, but would if I could afford one). The VX3i is really nice, even though I think that I liked the old VX2s better for some reason. I don’t have anything with turrets or CDS dials, and they would be as useless as tits on a boar hog for the ranges that you are talking about.

If I had the money I’d buy a Zeiss due to my love for their optical clarity and light transmission, a Maven due to the great things that I’ve heard about their quality glass, or a Luepold VX5 HD 2-10 with fire dot reticle, but if those were out of my price range (and they are) then I’d drop down to a VX3i (which I did) and not look back.

BTW, you’ve already made a great choice in rifle and cartridge, so you will do great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back