First Preference Points!

Check out Idaho. Many tags are still over the counter. I was hunting pronghorn in Wy every year but Covid blew up the draw odds this year and predicting 2021 and 2022 is going to be tough. Lots of folks hunts got postponed.

If you want a really great outfitted hunt at a very reasonable price check out Idaho spring bear in the northern units in or close to the panhandle. Generally the same type of backcountry hunt as elk at half the price and you can take 2 bears.

BTW, I used to live in Paducah, located half way between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow.

BTW, I used to live in Paducah, located half way between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow.
Paducah is where I tell those unfamiliar with Western Ky where I'm from :LOL:

Definitely interested in Idaho, but that is a heck of a drive for a guy that doesn't have a clue what he's doing lol

Colorado has a true preference point system. Only the people with the highest points get to go on the best hunts. There is not a random component to the draw that may get you on the hunt sooner. It is 10+ years out for good elk and deer units at this point and you will probably never catch up to the other point holders in your lifetime. You are pretty much just waiting for people to die in their system. A lot of other states offer bonus point systems where you at least have a random chance or increased odds at drawing a tag every year.

Colorado has a true preference point system. Only the people with the highest points get to go on the best hunts. There is not a random component to the draw that may get you on the hunt sooner. It is 10+ years out for good elk and deer units at this point and you will probably never catch up to the other point holders in your lifetime. You are pretty much just waiting for people to die in their system. A lot of other states offer bonus point systems where you at least have a random chance or increased odds at drawing a tag every year.
Kinda

There are a couple of opportunities to get tags without having max pref points (I'm not referring to raffles or gov tags)

Also the "best" units and pref points like most states aren't necessarily causative, they are correlative.

A unit that requires a pile of points simply means that opportunity is outstripped by demand. This may just mean it's a cool landscape that can't handle much pressure so tags are very limited. Your chances at a big buck or bull may actually be far worse than a unit that you can draw every year.

I'd argue that the high alpine rifle units for mule deer fall into this category. Cool spots, but also good luck. Decent on a normal year, one early snow and you are absolutely hosed. There may not be a deer in the entire area you are allowed to hunt.

The extreme units 10,2, etc for elk and 44 for deer are obviously just great units, but I know lots of people don't do their research and think just because a unit took 6 points to draw that it's going to be big buck central.

The key with CO is to not get bogged down with points and to just go hunt, I'd say 2-3 points max as a res 5-6 as a NR, but don't be afraid to grab a leftover/reissued license or apply for 0 point units.

I have not killed a lot of big animals, but I have hunted elk and deer every year, so obviously not playing the points game.

I'm enthusiastic about hunting... but kinda suck as it so I think someone with decent experience can reasonable hope to exceed my results.

Last edited:
wyoming is pretty good to NR. antelope is a good intro to western hunting but once you see the mountains youre going to want to disappear in them for a week

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back