Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First post. figured it should be a big bull

AZBridger

I have been lurking around this site for a while now. finally decided to start an account. i am an Arizona native and love chasing animals DIY public land. I am getting more and more fed up of looking at big money animals and seeing what hunting is turning in to. The members here seem like my kind of people, everyday hunters that work their tail off to get it done. i have been very fortunate in taking some great Arizona animals so i figured i would make my first post about a great bull i took a few years back.
The particular tag i drew was not a tough one at all to draw, but the unit intrigued me. i made the mistake of telling a friend that i would take him elk hunting if he ever drew a tag. Rather than taking my advice, he applied for units with high draw percentages and very low success and elk numbers. Long story short, while scouting for his hunt i found a giant bull that never left my mind. He ended up taking a small 6x6 opening morning waaay up in a nasty canyon. the next year, i drew a great Arizona archery elk tag that i had waited 10 years for. i ended up taking a beautiful 376" 7X7. the next year with only two bonus points (hunter ed and loyalty) i decided to put in for the unit i had hunting previously with a friend. I drew the tag, and the scouting began. i scouted for around 10 days in the field with never seeing an elk. The hunt rolled around and i did not have high hopes, but i still really got after it hard. i managed to turn up a few cows here and there for the first few days of the season, hunting alone most of the time. the 2nd to lst day of the hunt i climbed waaaay to the top of a big mountain in hopes of finding a good area to glass from. i got to the top of the hill and started glassing. a few hours into it, and right before dark i glassed a bull. he wasw 4 or 5 miles away, but i could tell that he was big. really big. the next morning, next to last day of the season, my good friend and hunting partner joined me. his wife tagged out the day before in a different unit, and when i told him about the bull i would be hunting the next day, he hauled ass and met me in camp before dark the next morning. it took us a LOT longer to figure out exactly where this bull was the night before. By the time we got where we needed to be, i was sure the elk had bedded already. we wplit up and got on different peaks and began glassing for the day. not a single elk sighting came all day. right before dark as i was packing up my binoculars, i saw something shining that i had npt noticed before. i quickly set up my tripod and binos again and saw that it was him. he was probably a half mile away and i needed to cover some country FAST. i practically sprinted through the manzanita until i figured i was getting close. When i saw him, I realized the shot would have to be off hand, because the manzanita was too tall for any kind of rest. i am almost 6'5" and if i was a couple inches shorter, i could not have shot over the brush. after a couple warning shots, i connected and he went down hard. when i was walking up to the bull, i found a clearing that i could see the bull good from a hundred or so yards away. i set up and burned another one through his ribs just to make sure he did not get up. when i got to the elk i could not believe how big he was. especially for this hunt. i phoned another friend that night and had him bring in his horses to pack this big bull out. i didn't have him scored for 3-4 years, just because i didn't care. about a year ago, i had him taped out. He grossses right at 402". 22-23" g1's and g2's (minus his right G1, 16") main beams just shy of 60". he is the highlite of my hunting career, not only for how big he was, but for how hard i hunted to get it done. thanks for reading my long-winded story.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 568
Great first post! What a bull!!!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing! Lots of great people on here full of great info and stories. Good Luck this fall

Wow. Only problem with a first post like that is following up with the next post.

Great story - thanks for sharing.

Super bull, and a great hunt effort....unreal what must be in some of those easier to draw units, but it sure looks like you earned him.

Good googly moogly....

It's too big, doesn't count.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. my taxidermist figured the bull was 12-13 years old. Probably on his way down. would have been neat to see what he looked like in his prime? By the sign, it looked like he just found a little pocket in a basin a long way from any roads and spent all his time there. I think he was even done participating in the rut, judging by the fact that all his points are still needle sharp and not missing even a fraction of an inch on any of them. Just an old timer that found a quiet place to live out his days.

Wow, that's a whopper. A really big whopper. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Congrats on a tremendous bull.

I wonder if that one could add a few inches to the "Frankenbull" thread. With those main beams, fourths, and fifths, he might.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back