First out of state hunt: Utah’s west desert, west

Bgriffith

With only a few days left before the wife and I make our first trip to a different state to hunt, was wondering if anyone on here has hunted the area of the deep creek mountains? Any advice for someone stepping into the area for the first time? I’ve done hours of e-scouting and think I have a few different plans set up. Going to be my wife’s first real backpacking/hunting trip. I do have specific questions that I’d love to pick someone’s brain just didn’t really know about posting them in non pm form? Thank you guys again love reading everyone’s stories and seeing pictures, really getting me excited for this. And yes I plan on sticking around and doing an after action report as I know that people come, get info, and leave never to be heard from again... which might I add is mighty annoying
Ben

Water will be king. It’s been extremely dry in UT (like much of the west...) this year. Streams that haven’t dried up in 20 years are bone dry.

The Deep creeks have very low deer numbers but there can be some good bucks. Get ONX or a chip for a gps cause there is a lot of reservation. Its steep, nasty and very few roads take you up top. If you want to talk pm me my family is from that area.

The Deep creeks have very low deer numbers but there can be some good bucks. Get ONX or a chip for a gps cause there is a lot of reservation. Its steep, nasty and very few roads take you up top. If you want to talk pm me my family is from that area.
WHat he said. I'd be very sure to know where the reservation and wilderness area boundaries are. Good luck!

Good luck! I've wanted to try out of state hunting like this, really need to plan a trip!

Update to our trip while I’m sitting here in the truck waiting for morning to try and kill an elk. Well the drive was beautiful from Washington spent the first night in Wendover. Nothing to write home about with covid and all it was actually kinda boring. The next morning we drove up to the first spot over looking a very nice bowl with some sign but not a lot. But what there was a lot of was cows. So many cows. Picked out a spot to camp, set up, started glassing and saw six does. That night the cowboys showed up and the next morning started driving the cattle out of the basin... so we moved spots the following morning after seeing only those six deer in the 2 1/2 days of glassing and hiking around. Checked out a few other spots but found either the water holes were dry and no deer sign or just flat out no deer sign at all. Spoke with a few other hunters who had only seen a handful of deer after a few days. Then some stuff came up back at home with the kids and we decided it was time to make our way home. So no dice in Utah this year but it was fun7B8F5757-58C4-4EB0-8CFD-B6C0D3FE50D2.jpeg2133561F-AA5C-4FCB-A620-1E15ADBE1A85.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back