PEAX Equipment

First Nice Whitetail

2011 has been a kind year to me. I shot a 6x6 bull while helping my best friend find his 6x6 and I finally shot a respectable whitetail. I stopped down to visit a rancher friend and dropped off some eggs and a chicken we butchered before hunting season. After visiting for a while I left to go up to my favorite spot and sit. This guy jumped up and I was done hunting for the season after 45 minutes. Usually I hunt all season to get one and lately I wait until the wife gets hers before I start shooting.

picture.php

picture.php

Nice buck. I would have been done quickly as well (if I could hit it).

I spent Too many years, hunting Too hard, for nothing but to see the the Dawn, or a Sunset. These days, a 45 min Buck is a welcomed gift for time pre-paid.

There aren't as many deer around as there was a few years ago (a lot less IMO). Guessing the Yellowstone is okay, but that's not where I was, lol. The closest river was 3-4 miles away. Even up north of me near Bloomfield the whitetails and deer in general are way down according to the ranchers who live there. The weather has played a factor as has blue tongue and increased hunter numbers. This is the first time in 5 years I couldn't get a mule deer doe tag after the season started. I'm not complaining I think it's the right thing to do, but it does go to show just how poor the numbers have become.

Driving between here and Hysham there are significantly less deer along the Yellowstone. Even on the way up to Jordan and over to Winnett the numbers are way down from 2 years ago. Areas we went though at night that used to be scarey because of all the deer, I drove through this year in the dark and only saw one deer in a 10 mile stretch.

Last edited:
Hey great deer! Normally I hunt your area for whiteys but this year the ranch said no.Bummer.

Back