Caribou Gear

First Montana spring bear hunt

Ya’ know, I have had a bear tag while living here in NW Montana for going on 17 years now. Live just south of Flathead Lake. Have seen more blasted bears in our yard than in the big woods. They are all over the big woods. But, I have yet to see one that I want to harvest. Yes, there are plenty of good sized black bears all over the NW Montana area. But, not gonna shoot Booboo. Want Yogi’s daddy.
There are plenty of camping spots all over the NW area. Generally find bears on south facing slopes eating grass after coming out of hibernation.....or if they can find winter kill animals. Yuck!
You posted that you are training with a 60# pack. But, have you trained at altitude? Going from lower elevations to the mountains can kick ones behind. Heed what has been said about bear spray. Make sure it is a new container and you know how to utilize it properly. There are griz all over the NW. Have had them just off our back deck. Damn pesky bunch but really dangerous if a sow with cubs. BTW, black bears account for more maulings, sow with cubs, than griz. But a sow griz with cubs can be a real handful. Can really peel your hide off quick.
Your 260 will be adequate if bullet is placed properly. The 300WSM or 300 Win. are both good choices. Have all and a Rem. 700, 7MM Mangelum’ too. My preference has been the 300WSM with handloaded 180 Accubonds. You choose.
Anyway, might see you in the NW woods in the spring. Never know where I will be in that country any time of the year. Good luck. MTG

I have a hunting trip in the big snoweys that a rancher has offered up. I have seen several bears in the area but never really got too excited to shoot one until this year. Mainly because my niece wants to go with.
Sizing the bears have been challenging for me.

One word of caution, Don't spot and shoot right away. Make sure there are no cubs! Sometimes it takes a few minutes to see them so don't rush it.
If your hunting an area such as NW Mt. it can get pretty thick and they like to eat the fresh green grass on the side of logging roads. If they spot you they are gone in a moment. So if your not 100% sure there are no cubs DON'T SHOOT.

Craveman,
Where are you planning to go?
Maybe I missed where you were headed.

One word of advice I would give is to not come out of the gate too hard. It’s taken me a lot of seasons to learn that lesson. Coming out of the winter when you haven’t hunted in awhile it can be a real temptation to climb some giant peaks and post hole through snow. Find some low elevation spots early and ease yourself into the hunt. It takes awhile to acclimate even for those of us that live at decent elevation. Spring bear is a true marathon hunt and it’s really easy to burn yourself out in April before the hunting gets good

Planning my own diy spring bear hunt, looking like unit 106 is going to be my unit based on harvest reports and where I will be staying, looking for any tips on the area and overall day hunting spot stalk success. Thanks!!
I'm also planning to hunt unit 106. I will be there last two weeks of may. It's looking like it may be a solo deal.

Are you looking for some one to hunt with. I'm looking for some one to hunt with for 10 days in msy.

Pepper jack is the ONLY cheese.
Maybe you guys could be a holes on someone else's thread? Or maybe try putting posting something useful somewhere 🤷‍♂️. I'd prefer if I get notifications about my thread that they be something worth while and don't have to sort through the garbage you guys are posting.

Maybe you guys could be a holes on someone else's thread? Or maybe try putting posting something useful somewhere 🤷‍♂️. I'd prefer if I get notifications about my thread that they be something worth while and don't have to sort through the garbage you guys are posting.
Actually last Thursday I posted a pretty lengthy post about some real-life experience from hunting and watching bears for the past 18 years Just scroll up 7 or 8 posts, you'll find it. People sometimes joke around on this site, nobody means anything by it. Don't take yourself so seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back