Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First lite outer layer to block wind over Unpronounceable Jacket

CORN

I'm getting a First Lite set up this spring while I dream about getting out in the fall. Gonna go with First Lite cuz I've got a little discount with them. My question is for 3rd season glassing, I'm going to get a big puffy layer (most likely the unpronounceable jacket, I already have a puffy down). I'm going to be using their catalyst soft shell as my outer layer when I'm on the move, but curious what you guys would recommend as an outer layer over a big puffy jacket (mainly to stop the wind while glassing on exposed ridges).

Anyone have the Corrugate guide jacket? I'm wondering if that would work, but it seems like most of the FL stuff is pretty athletic fit with tapered sleeves, don't know if there's anything that would fit well over a big puffy. Anyone have thoughts? Other options would be one of the rain jackets, but I doubt they'd be any wider/more accommodating for a puffy layer underneath.

BigFin had an elk talk podcast about outer shells the other day. It was more from the Sitka perspective however it was a good discussion on how the materials function. Near as I can tell firstlite doesn’t have an option with a wind stopper membrane per se though I could be wrong.

BigFin had an elk talk podcast about outer shells the other day. It was more from the Sitka perspective however it was a good discussion on how the materials function. Near as I can tell firstlite doesn’t have an option with a wind stopper membrane per se though I could be wrong.
I'll have to check out the podcast - I've just recently started listening to his stuff so I've mostly been catching up on old episodes. I know he's a big sitka guy, I would probably go that route if it wasn't for having a discount with FL. It's weird to me that FL wouldn't have a roomier outer layer for breaking wind. Maybe I'll just give them a call and see if they think anything would fit well over one of their puffies.

Here are my august/ sept and oct/nov layering setups for the rockies. (I get cold, you may not need as many layers)

(Using FL products as examples)
Aug/Sept
-Merino base layer - Wick crew or hoody
-synthethic midlayer- klamath hoody
-puffy jacket - Brooks or uncompahgre
-rain jacket hardshell -vapor stormlight

Oct/Nov
-Merino - wick crew or hoody
-Synthethic mid- klamath hoody
-softshell jacket - sawthood/corrugate/catalyst
-puffy -brooks or uncompahgre maybe chamberlin if it's late season and really cold
-rainjacket- vapor stormlight

Rain jackets tend to be the best wind blocker and add a ton of warmth when paired with a puffy. A softshell is going to cut wind well and is great to hike in especially in cold temps and may or may not be enough for glassing. I think a soft-shell is great in august if your doing a 10-20 min session and it's not too windy, but if I'm at like 12k and it's whipping I'm going to get cold and want the puffy rain jacket combo. Also the merino + synthetic combo is great because you base layer keeps down the stink and the synthetic layer is warmer and dries faster.

I haven't tried on everything by FL but generally speaking the corrugate looks like a good 3rd season outerwear choice, I think it will fit over the brooks well (as down compresses) I find myself layering a puffy under my sitka jetstream from time to time, but I think it might be a tighter fit with the uncompahgre which is synthetic insulation or the chamberlin which is "overstuffed".

In my experience the uncompagrhe puffy is pretty good at blocking the wind. I had it in Wyoming this past fall on a mule deer hunt and it did well, and Wyoming can be windy.

I agree with 7mm, it blocks the wind quite well on it's own. I've used it hunting mulies and lopes in WY and NE the last 3 years. It is super light and packable but not as warm as I expected for a puffy.

I've also been real happy with the Uncompahgre Puffy, it blocks the wind well. It's probably the most versatile jacket I use, I really like how compact it is. As the weather gets colder, I just adjust my layers underneath and use this as my outer layer most of the time. Rain gear and this jacket are always in my pack, like mentioned above paired up with a rain jacket one can stay real comfortable.

I have the Uncompahgre and the Vapor Stormlight, but I rarely use them together. Reason being the Uncompahgre in medium is a couple inches longer than the large Vapor. Not the end of the world but it bothers me. I know you get a discount with FL but think of other backpacker type brands for a rain jacket too. Camo isn't that important for rifle season and there are tons of options and some at a good price point.

Thanks for all the feedback gents! Glad to hear the Uncompahgre is decent at blocking wind. Gonna get it sans additional wind-blocking layer and see how it does. Hopefully get a chance to test it out before third season. Happy hunting!

In my experience the uncompagrhe puffy is pretty good at blocking the wind. I had it in Wyoming this past fall on a mule deer hunt and it did well, and Wyoming can be windy.

I used the Uncompahgre last Oct in WY. Had one day where winds were so high it was difficult to stand still - and never felt it on my skin, so while I didn't assume it would break the wind, it certainly did. The only downside was from the right angle in the heaviest wind, a little bungie string that helps fit the hood to your head made some "flapping" noise against the nylon. YMMV.

Back