MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Lite torso layer consult

perma

I’m stuck between jackets and keep council from the pros on this forum!

I hunt mid to early November often and do a lot of ambush and spot and stalk in the Rockies. I had some Cabelas gear but froze. I decided to get a Klamath hoody and a future corrugate guide jacket (jacket for brush busting).

I’ve received many different paths for insulation from chamberlain to uncompahgre to catalyst to sawtooth. My biggest concern is length of the jacket. I think the chamberlain is too puffy for me so I’d rather get the unc, sawtooth or catalyst. Anyone able to chime in on which one is longer and may prove better for that time of year? I heard the unc is very short.

For reference, I’m 6’2” 280. Will need a 2xl to cover the gut :D

The uncompaghre will definitely be on the shorter side. But if you’ve got the corrugate to put over the top, that’s not a bad option. Otherwise, I’d favor the catalyst over the sawtooth. The sawtooth and Klamath fill a similar niche in my kit. If you spend any time sitting still, I’d say uncompaghre, but if you’re active most often, I’d lean catalyst.

The uncompaghre will definitely be on the shorter side. But if you’ve got the corrugate to put over the top, that’s not a bad option. Otherwise, I’d favor the catalyst over the sawtooth. The sawtooth and Klamath fill a similar niche in my kit. If you spend any time sitting still, I’d say uncompaghre, but if you’re active most often, I’d lean catalyst.
Is the sawtooth any longer than the unc?

Obviously never bust brush with a puffy, even the lost parka from kifaru which has codura panels is going to get torn up. Definitely a good idea to go with the softshell for that.

A synthetic will be better for "active use" as it will deal with your sweat better, down are warmer and better for hanging out. Kinda depends on your use case between the jackets.

For glass at the top of a mountain I like a huge long puffy.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back