First hand Covid symptoms

Well, daughter’s BF tested positive. He’s not vaccinated. He’s also going into nursing. It’s baffling to me. He’s a great kid, a REALLY great

Like NHY said, it’s frustrating. He apologized to me for all of this. I’ve been around few 18 year olds as bright, polite and respectful as him, so his decision not to get vaccinated (given his future career) just puzzles the hell out of me. All of this is just damned mess.
Didn’t you say the vaccine made your daughter vomit?
he probably saw that and thought
“Well I’ve got a 99% chance of getting through this on my own and a fairly descent chance as an 18 yo to experience no symptoms whatsoever so I’ll just skip the puking”

Like NHY said, it’s frustrating. He apologized to me for all of this. I’ve been around few 18 year olds as bright, polite and respectful as him, so his decision not to get vaccinated (given his future career) just puzzles the hell out of me. All of this is just damned mess.
IDK, seems like the health care industry isn't different than any others. My little cousin works at Sacred Heart in Spokane and she said almost none of them (herself included) are vaccinated.

The Washington State Nurses Association, which represents nurses at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, sent Spokane’s largest hospital a cease-and-desist letter, saying such a policy required negotiations with the union before implementation.

I think politics have clouded the science on all of this, and the media/politicians have been trying really hard to perpetuate the uncertainty. I am not a scientist, but there are a few things I do feel pretty confident about:

1. The uncertainty about the long term negative health effects of COVID is scarier than the vaccine, and the long term health effects are tied to the symptoms you experience.
2. The longer this virus simmers > the more it will mutate > the more virulent it will become. mutation=evolution=nature's "gain of function"
3. I don't care if people smoke, but I do care if they smoke around me and my family. I wouldn't care what people did if their decision only affected their own health, but I care a lot about the wellbeing of people I care about, and I am sick of not being able to hunt with one of my best friends because he has to worry about all the people carrying it around.

I think people would do well to stop getting their medical advice from social media and/or the MSM.

Yes, no question.

I'm about over caring or being concerned anymore though. Every small town I've been in the last 3 months in ND, SD, WY, ID, AK, WY all have walk-in covid vaccines, no cost, and no appointments needed.

Would be sad to lose some friends over something as childish as refusing a known way to either not get covid and/or reduce your chances of having further trouble or even being dead.

But, whatever...wish them luck and if they die or have long term health problems, so be it.
I've resorted to telling folks I'm fine if I never hunt with em again if they're that mad at me for preaching the vaccine, but what I really don't want to see is them not hunting with their kids again...

Can we really blame people for being a bit leary of putting something in their body (the vaccine) that for 1. was rushed into production, 2. long term effects are unknown, 3. Have not been approved by the FDA. 4. The vaccines have had adverse effects on many people including death in some cases. 5. Many vaccinated people still have gotten covid after being vaccinated?

I am not in any way down playing or taking lightly covid in regards to those that have suffered from it either themselves or a loved one. I am very sorry to anyone that has a lost a loved one from covid or from anything for that matter. People I know and care about have been very sick from covid and some have died including a 2nd cousin. I just have a lot of questions. For example where did the flu go? If vaccines work why do people still get covid?

The thought of getting the vaccine would cause me anxiety and I'm not interested in getting it based on the reasons given in 1st paragraph.

If getting vaccinated was about the safety of others than I truly believe tobacco and alcohol should be outlawed. I would like to know the numbers on deaths from 2nd hand smoke and deaths by drunk drivers compared to covid deaths. Abortions should be outlawed as well since it effects someone else (the unborn). Why does "my body my choice" not apply to the vaccine?

Now go ahead let the condescending remarks come, I expect it.

Can we really blame people for being a bit leary of putting something in their body (the vaccine) that for 1. was rushed into production, 2. long term effects are unknown, 3. Have not been approved by the FDA. 4. The vaccines have had adverse effects on many people including death in some cases. 5. Many vaccinated people still have gotten covid after being vaccinated?

I am not in any way down playing or taking lightly covid in regards to those that have suffered from it either themselves or a loved one. I am very sorry to anyone that has a lost a loved one from covid or from anything for that matter. People I know and care about have been very sick from covid and some have died including a 2nd cousin. I just have a lot of questions. For example where did the flu go? If vaccines work why do people still get covid?

The thought of getting the vaccine would cause me anxiety and I'm not interested in getting it based on the reasons given in 1st paragraph.

If getting vaccinated was about the safety of others than I truly believe tobacco and alcohol should be outlawed. I would like to know the numbers on deaths from 2nd hand smoke and deaths by drunk drivers compared to covid deaths. Abortions should be outlawed as well since it effects someone else (the unborn). Why does "my body my choice" not apply to the vaccine?

So once it gets FDA approval, you're in right?

You should do yourself a favor and just delete this post.

2020 stats for you:
Covid-19 deaths - 345k (per CDC, if you look into excess deaths it's likely over 500k)
All traffic fatalities - 35k (per NHTSA, nowhere near all of these are alcohol related)
Lung cancer deaths - 135k (per Cancer.org)

I'm oversimplifying here, but the point is that Covid-19 has been devastatingly deadly. Flu cases were lower because *shocker* masks work. So does social distancing. It's also proven again and again that breakthrough Covid cases (in vaccinated people) are generally less severe and almost all hospitalized/killed patients at this point are unvaccinated.

I think one of the most interesting parts of COVID-19 is that it attaches to the ACE-2 receptor in the body; which is present on almost all cells of the human body. By my understanding, this is the reason why individual symptoms of COVID are so variable, and why longterm affects of the disease are indicated by the symptoms experienced versus a common set of effects based on just having had the disease. One of the common symptoms, loss of taste/smell, has the potential to cause some scary long term effects given this means the virus attacked the brain.

Great info however, first hand covid. I agree with everything shared though to continue with this line of thought though dismissive of opposing opinions...

Meh, far from knocking you. Hope it's not taken that way.

First hand covid symptoms make this thread a quality run to learn of and share support for those affected.

So 72 hour synopsis; BF is improving, he had a day of headache, persistent bad cough, some body aches and lost his sense of taste. Daughter had a really rough night of fever, body aches, has had a headache the whole time, shortness of breath and cough.

Wife and I are still relatively symptom free and awaiting test results.

Update, both wife and I tested negative and have no symptoms (other than what I expect is seasonal allergies). Daughter is slightly better this afternoon. The morning was kind of rough for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we really blame people for being a bit leary of putting something in their body (the vaccine) that for
1. was rushed into production,
2. long term effects are unknown,
3. Have not been approved by the FDA.
4. The vaccines have had adverse effects on many people including death in some cases.
5. Many vaccinated people still have gotten covid after being vaccinated?

There is nothing wrong with having questions. All of these have been address and explained by reputable sources.

If you are interested in having your questions answered by a person you can also call your primary care doctor.

3. I don't care if people smoke, but I do care if they smoke around me and my family. I wouldn't care what people did if their decision only affected their own health, but I care a lot about the wellbeing of people I care about, and I am sick of not being able to hunt with one of my best friends because he has to worry about all the people carrying it around.
There is nothing wrong with having questions. All of these have been address and explained by reputable sources.

If you are interested in having your questions answered by a person you can also call your primary care doctor.
What if I’m so low skill uneducated/redneck that I don’t have a primary care doctor?
my grandpa never had a primary care doctor, smoked everyday and made it to 72.
Is 72 an acceptable age to die at?
will you guys please tell me.

do you guys have any blood pressure medicine or maybe a sleep apnea machine you could force on me?

Leave it be... keep this first hand covid not a debate and mocking crap that merely encourages further bull shit from both sides.

You experienced covid post up. Family/friends, etc. Keep it civil.
Yes! It would be nice if there was a way to lock some from commenting vs locking the thread haha

The two most recent people I know who got Covid likely got the Delta strain. My boss had a lot of the usual symptoms, but he said in his case trying to stay active at the house was helpful. His wife had recently given birth (maybe 4 months ago) and she wasn't doing as well last I knew. Apparently her blood pressure had gotten pretty low, and she passed out and ended up breaking several bones in her foot. Based on our conversation it was pretty apparent that there was some regret at having hauled the whole famdamily off to Florida in an unvaccinated state.

I respect people's concerns about "unknowns," just don't forget to weigh those concerns against the knowns.

I've waited quite awhile to post my experience all while watching this thread. I've waited because so many people seem have their mind made up on how serious this is, but also because I didn't feel like I had a resolution to share. Also, I didn't want to whine about something I am determined to beat. I have been feeling good for the last few weeks so I thought I would share my story so that it may give someone else hope.

I would start by saying I'm 29 years old. I haven't ever smoked, chewed tobacco, drank alcohol or done any recreational drugs. I've never had any medical issues outside a broken hand and grade 3 shoulder separation that I suffered playing high school football. Both of which I proceeded to finish a game with I might add ;). I have no known allergies. I'm not a gym rat but I did/do try to exercise regularly by running a few miles a day or taking weighted pack walks. I have a pretty cushy office job but I also have a small farm to take care of and that helps keep me active. The point is; while I am no Cam Haynes, I am a relatively fit, healthy, young person. I also rarely take any form of medication, choosing to suffer instead of even taking ibuprofen for simple headaches.

I tested positive for COVID on Dec 22 of last year. My wife, who is a nurse, was the first to get it. The day we got her test result I took my kids (5, 3 and 6 months) to get tested as well. We had decided that my wife would quarantine if the rest of us tested negative. Unfortunately we all tested positive, including the baby. I am extremely thankful that none of my children had any symptoms outside of a runny nose and a few hours of acting abnormally tired. I am also very thankful that my wife only had mild symptoms (loss of taste/smell, congestion, headache, fatigue). She has rheumatoid arthritis so we were unsure as to how the disease would affect her. Luckily she took it like a champ. Unfortunately, it hit me a little harder.

After a few days I lost my sense of taste/smell. I developed a terrible headache, got a fever and had the usual; chest pains, difficulty breathing, fatigue, everything you read about. I never felt like I needed to go to the hospital, although I will admit there were a couple times I came close. I was in bed for about a week before the symptoms started to reside. "No big deal, I'll push through this and be back to normal in a couple weeks" I thought.

I realized I had a problem when I decided to take my bow out for the last day of archery season on Jan 15, about 3.5 weeks after I tested positive. I was starting to feel a little better and I had missed almost a month of hunting so I figured I'd get one last evening hunt in to celebrate getting over COVID. Can't be that hard to set in a deer stand for a couple hours, can it? Wrong. My closest stand is a quarter mile from my house. I barely made it there. My chest hurt and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I couldn't even bring myself to try to climb the ladder. I just sat down at the base of the stand. I truly thought I might be having a heart attack. I sat there for 15 min and then called my wife to come pick me up.

After that I started having other issues that I had never suffered before COVID. I had chest pains that woke me up in the middle of the night. My legs swelled up to about twice the normal size one morning for no apparent reason. I would get horribly, horribly dizzy all of the sudden at random times (this still happens). Severe chest tightness and fatigue if I tried to exercise at all. I suffered through this for about a month before I finally knuckled under and let my wife take me to the doc in mid February. By the end of March I had gotten all kinds of tests done that I never even knew existed. Stress test, EKG, chest x rays, echo cardiogram, CT scan of heart and lungs, Hida scan for liver function, and several more. I was still having issues any time I tried to do anything physical. My heart would race and I'd feel like I was going to pass out. The tests were all inconclusive outside some minor chest cavity swelling. Thankfully I showed no evidence of permanent scarring in my heart or lungs.

Regardless, I still had these issues if I tried to do anything physical. If I tried to push through it, then it seemed to knock me down for 4 or 5 days. It took a couple months, but I gradually started to figure out how far I could push myself. I couldn't walk a half mile with a 40 lb pack but I could do a 1/4 mile with 10lbs. So, I started there. Every day I'd add a little weight, or I'd go a little farther, or a little faster, or increase the incline. I started that in March.

I was a little hesitant, for all of the normal reasons, but I also decided to get vaccinated in May. The lack of full FDA approval concerned me but somebody rightfully pointed out that a lot of the wild game cooking I do doesn't conform to FDA standards either. Also, a lot of the supplemental crap people wolf down on a regular basis isn't FDA approved (think Mountain Ops). So in the interest of doing whatever I could to avoid getting COVID again, I got the shot.

I have no idea if it's correlation or coincidence but I started to get a little relief from some issues within a week of my first dose. My sense of smell finally came back and I stopped getting severe headaches and chest pains. I continued to push my exercise regimen and eat healthier. Gradually, I managed to work myself back to a level that I can say feels "normal" for me. I'm finally back up to 50 lbs over a 2 mile incline or can run 3 to 5 miles at a reasonable pace. I'm looking forward to hunting season this year and I have a pretty easy set of hunts planned from a physical perspective. Back during application season I wasn't sure what I'd even be capable of so I applied accordingly. I'm really looking forward to taking my 6 year old on his first deer hunt this year.

I'm very thankful that my family was not impacted more than we were. I don't know if the vaccine helps at all, but I do know that I will do anything in my power to never to have to deal with this stupid virus again. Unfortunately I doubt that is a realistic goal, but I'm going to do whatever I can with that goal in mind. It helps I have family/friends in the medical field who I trust and can rely on to give me sound advice. Some people get lucky, like my wife's 75 year old grandmother who only lost her sense of smell for a few days. Other's like me deal with issues for 8 months or longer. In the end, I pray everybody out there stays safe and hopefully this post will help someone that is dealing with these same issues stay positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back