Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Elk!

Congratulations, but no pictures????
Actually, I completely forgot about getting a picture in the moment. In the darkness, with temps rapidly falling, once I reached her, my mind was only on getting off the mountain with meat as quickly as I could without catching hypothermia or frostbite. Even my electrical tape that I normally use to wrap the tag around a leg had turned brittle in the cold. I had to stuff it under my armpit to warm it up enough to make it pliable and sticky again. Looking back on it, I am thankful for the experience, but my overriding thought at the time was "what have I gotten myself into?" 😄

Nice Job! Typically I am wearing thin fleece sitka gloves hunting. Then when its cold like this, during the quartering will put the nitrile gloves over the top of them, warm hands and clean gloves!

Nice Job! Typically I am wearing thin fleece sitka gloves hunting. Then when its cold like this, during the quartering will put the nitrile gloves over the top of them, warm hands and clean gloves!
I did think about that after the fact and will try that next time with a thinner pair of hunting gloves. I was wearing a pretty thick pair the other night, so I don't think I could have fit the surgical gloves over them. But that is definitely worth trying. Although I hated the experience and swore many times that night that I would never shoot a cow elk in these conditions again, now that I have done it, I know I can do a better job of it next time if that situation ever arises again. Lots of lessons learned. I will definitely add a thinner pair of hunting gloves to my kill-kit. Additionally, if I had insulated my water bottles better inside my pack, I don't think they would have frozen (possibly even heat the water ahead of time next time) so I would have been a lot less anxious, in general.

Congrats! Great job on the solo adventure and glad you were able to keep safe. Those elk burgers are going to taste that much more delicious now!

I remember the feeling - killed my second Bull solo on a cold night, just like you describe.

For future reference - Use that cold to your advantage. Hang the meat and come back in the morning. Daylight and sunshine sure do wonders for your spirits.

Congrats.

Well done, I’ve completed 52 consecutive seasons hunting elk, sometimes I forget still and shoot one at last light. Great job getting her done under those conditions, very well done indeed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back