First elk hunt ends with a goose egg

Novemberfest

289AB69D-9E03-42BD-85DA-9E277421F88A.jpeg
A couple dudes from IL gave it the old
college try in Western WY. It was our first ever elk hunt/trip. Had a blast but came home empty handed. Gotta thank the forum for all the posters and those willing to answer questions.
We heard elk, we saw elk and we had a few close encounters with elk but we never slung an arrow. Overall it was tougher than expected. Physically I was prepared and handled the hunt fine. It took a couple of days to jump over a few mental hurdles and realize we could get off trail and handle that steep ass terrain.
The elk and the calling was the tough part. We were general tag, public land and the elk pretty much gathered their small harems and ran away as soon as they heard a cow call or bugle. It’s believed that they were call shy but I think the bulls were all satisfied with small harems. There were no satellites looking for strange on the side.
There were at least 4 hunting parties in the basin we were hunting which was about 10 sq miles in area and we only actually ran into 1 group while hunting. There was no sign and no talk of anyone filling a tag during the week we were there (last week of September).
Either way it was a blast and I will
hopefully be back in 3 years on the general tag. Until then I guess I’ll be a 90 percenter 🤦🏼‍♂️
I’ll be creeping around here until then trying to get the edge.289AB69D-9E03-42BD-85DA-9E277421F88A.jpeg

You join a long, distinguished list of accomplished elk hunters who failed to tag one their first time out.

elk tend to do that sometimes once they gather their harem. I prefer to hunt the early rut before they cow up. one tactic I have learned works well though , is ,when they bug out , dog em. stay on their trail . often if you keep at it , it will piss that herd bull off and he will eventually turn to fight. can be physically demanding and doesn't always work but it does work.

you didn't fill your tag but you got some learning.keep at it and you will be successful.

Hearing you say it'll be three years before you're back really makes me appreciate my OTC tag and annual September hunts here in MT and ID. It's easy to take it for granted and reading your post helps me to not do that, so thanks.

Hearing you say it'll be three years before you're back really makes me appreciate my OTC tag and annual September hunts here in MT and ID. It's easy to take it for granted and reading your post helps me to not do that, so thanks.

I agree and live in Colorado for that very reason. Muley buck tags are hard to get in my units but I can hunt for elk every year with no points and don't need to go to an OTC tag to do it.

Looks like you had an awesome hunt. The experience mirrors our hunt as first time DYI hunters this year. Wish I had started this passion at your ages. Good luck in the future. I am sure you guys will harvest in the next few years. Great photo!

Recently finished my first OTC/DIY, similar experience and empty coolers toted east on Rt. 80! The worm has turned for us, November, hooked like trout!!! Dammit. 😂👍🍻

I hope to make it out sooner. My biggest issue is traveling and being gone from the family for these trips. Can’t wait til the kids get a little bigger so I can bring them with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back