Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Elk Hunt and looking for info NM Unit 7

king1886ranch

This is my first Elk Hunt and I'm trying to do my homework and get some map work done. My dad's in-laws have about 100 acres right outside of Cuba that we will be staying on. The West boundary for the property is Santa Fe National Forrest. Since I drew for the Oct. 15-19th hunt, looking at the maps it's getting rather intimidating because I know that sanctuary will, more than likely, be the major priority at this point. It looks to me like there are a lot of roads in the areas where there are enough breaks and cover to provide sanctuary, which worries me since Elk aren't very fond of roads at this time. Would anyone be willing to shoot me a private message and help me out or point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for a handout out or someone to tell me exactly where to find an Elk, maybe just some map reading tips, what I should be looking for or any other information that might help me solve this puzzle. I'm not afraid of a hike or packing one out so any info would be great!

Hey hank4elk I tried to PM you but it said that your box is full! Please feel free to PM me as well.

It's great to hear that you ran into so many bulls. If you don't mind me asking were you close to Cuba or were you hunting somewhere else in the unit? Also, how hard was it to find truly isolated spots to hunt in?

I'm sure I'm full...of it.....or so I have been told....lol I'll clear some room in box.
There is a lot of BLM near Cuba,make sure you have onxmaps for NM.

Back