MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First called in bear kill.

Rogue 6

A friend, my 8 year old son and I went up after work last week to hunt us a bear (screw off with weapons). Well we were not camoed up or anything, but went to an area where I had tagged a couple bears in the past. We sat down around a big white fir and I proceeded to do my best screaming rabbit. Ten minutes into the wale fest a yote came in. I wispered to my son not to move and blasted the dog at about 15 ft with 140 grain accubond out of my 270 Weatherby. We relocated less than a mile down the ridge and called again. About 10 minutes in you could hear movement coming down a scub oak/manzanita brush spur. Well I kept calling and a smallish bear was running at us at full bore. My friend Jeff had that side and one shot through the lungs with his 243 win did the number. Needless to say my son was pumped. The bear was an older sow probably only 200 lbs or so. Her canines where ground flat on the tips and very stained. I've called in tons of yotes some bobcats/foxes/racoons but never a bear. It was alot of fun and I think I found a new addition.

Nice going Rogue. Bet that was pretty exciting, especially for your son. I hope to see some pictures coming on here.

Congrats Rogue!! That had to be a blast calling one in- I've tried before to no avail.

Where abouts were you hunting? Gold Beach used to be my old stomping grounds........

MarvB,
We were out in the Applegate. After I blasted the yote we all heard a wierd sound I thought it was a vulture or something. The sow made the same type of sound as she was coming in. I can promise you I will not go calling yotes by myself anymore. That bear was hauling hind end coming in. Its almost spooky. We got the pepperoni sticks back yesterday from the butcher shop. When I finish this roll I'll try to figure out how to post a picture.

Congrates on the bear Rogue. Exciting way to get one.

I quit usin my predator call without a back up, about 20 yrs ago when a yote jumped into the bush I was using for concealment. I was actually calling bear. I had found a bloated doe carcass while hunting deer and figured it wouldn't take long for a bear to show. One morn found sign a bear had found the doe, he had carried her (without much dragging) down to the edge of a swamp. That evening I found a good stand and waited. Just before dark, and time to head for the truck, I thought I would give a couple of wwwaaaahhhss with my predator call and try to coax him out into the open before heading back. Heard some rustling down below me. Got ready to shoot and switched to a squeaker call. Made one squeak and the yote was in my lap. I went over backward, rifle ended up 10 feet away. Got the opportunity to see a yotes ass up close, as the dog exited my bush. Glad it wasn't the bear, darned near had a heart attack with it just being a dog. Not something I would have liked to have experienced with a bear or cat. Once with a dog was enough for me. I always take a partner with when callin, since.

WW

Rogue- I used to deer hunt a lot in the Applegate drainages...in fact back in the USFS days I fought my first fire there. I really have to give that calling a try, I have called in lots of 'yotes and deer but never have tried specifally for bear...sounds fun!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back