Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Buzztail this year

Bill Zent

April 14 was horn hunting on a south slope at 5300', spotted an elk antler and next to it was a 20" Buzzer. I left the antler and will get it later when the little guy has moved on.
Any one else seeing Buzztails above the 45 parallel?

I shouldn't reply to this just because I had to look up what the hell a buzztail was...so you left a shed because a snake was 2 foot away from it? This beast was out to get me last week while turkey hunting unfortunately for him it was so steep he would slide 2ft down every time he tries to moveScreenshot_20230416_125618.jpg

April 14 was horn hunting on a south slope at 5300', spotted an elk antler and next to it was a 20" Buzzer. I left the antler and will get it later when the little guy has moved on.
I still think you're seeing things. All the hours I spent up there with OR without you I never saw a single one. :unsure:

I only see them when I’m somewhere inside 150-70 yards to a stalk of a p&y antelope. It’s like they use them as a force field. I wouldn’t let no snake keep a shed from me, that’s what rocks, sticks and sidearms are for.

How big was the elk shed?

The shed is a three point and we will get it later when we fix fence downed by elk. I don't like RUTS so it may be another week before we get up there and get the shed.
The Buzzers here are Prairie rattlers and have been found over 9,000'. I have seen several between 6,500-7,000', but none over 7,000'.

Dave N........when your eyes are up looking for lurking cougars waiting to pounce on you from a tree, seeing a snake on the ground is tough. :rolleyes:

For those with dogs in buzzer country..........I have our dog vaccinated yearly in April so a snake bite will not kill her.

Last edited:
Those snakes are inside! Glass always breaks. Always.

"Oh yeah, oohing and ahhing, that's how it always starts, but later there's the running and screaming."
Dr. Ian Malcolm
I had a ball python as a kid. One day it got out after the lid wasn’t shut properly. Never saw him again. Lived in a big old house with plenty of holes and critters for him to eat.

I couldn’t imagine having a timber rattler escape !

At least rattlesnakes are usually gentlemen about it and give you a fair warning. I've found that water moccasins, in spite of their reputation for aggressiveness, are generally big babies just trying to make a hasty escape. Copperheads, however, must almost certainly be the modern day heir to the basilisk. Those little fellows are fearless and ornery.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back