First Bear Jitters

Kraven

Well today started off good I slept thru the alarm then got up around 7:30am.In search of Mr.Black Bear.Well I parked my truck at the trail head and proceeded to head up the hill.Let me tell you some beautiful country up there.After I got to the tower I stayed on the trail for approximately .5 mile.I reached a large rock outcropping and decided to drop to the bottom of the rocks and found a spot to sit and glass.Well I didnt even get my binocs up and there was the first bear I have seen while bear hunting,ever.I grabbed the binocs and glassed for a few mins to make sure no cubs tagging along none were found.I went down the steep fuggin hill slipping and sliding thru the blueberry bushes,o yes maybe 1-2 weeks before ripe now.I get to a spot to see him and hes gone no where to be found at this point me legs are shaking from excitement.So I head to my right to get a better view still no bear.So I stood next to a tree for about 1.5 hours and finally he shows himself.This was a quick shot since he was going thru a small opening and I was very excited and felt myself jerk the fuggin trigger,man was I pissed.A clean miss no blood was found but had a wonderful time and hopefully one of these weekends I will connect and maybe be with someone so that it will be easier to pack it out when I do connect or they connect.Well that is my day and yes still kicking myself in the ass.

Hopefully next time I wont jerk the damn trigger next time.He was pretty though.He was cinnamon color from his back hips forward and his hind legs and butt were all black.It sure was exciting though.The bear was close to 300 yards away for the shot if I wouldnt have moved he would have been like 100-150 yards tops from me.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-18-2002 19:34: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Kraven:
I know exactly where that rock is. That is a long way down to the bottom where you were. What was he feeding on? That would have been a heck of a pack for one guy! Well it will only get better there in the next few weeks. Let me know the next time you head up and maybe I'll tag along if I get the time.

Well I am deffinately not done bear hunting in fact I am probably going this next weekend aswell.Ray that would be great if you could get some time to go out and do some more bear hunting.Let me know.He was feeding on grasses still since the berries are not ripe yet.Spotted owl you had any luck finding a bear yet this year??

Kraven:

Buddy, you did well. No you didn't knock him
down this time, but I got a feeling your
not quite done bear hunting yet. You'll get
the bad boy soon enough. I've had my fair
share of those quality learning experiences!
:D

Kevin I am glad that you know exactly what happened and why. I probably would do the same as you with the first bear. (Only I would have a hard time to quick shaking to make a shot :D ;) )

Go get em next time pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate that when I jerk the whole gun. Wow, pretty neat, right on him, until you pulled the trigger. Maybe next time! Good luck. Its close enough that you're going back, right?

Kraven, sounds like you had a good hunt, Let me know also if you ever want somebody to go bear hunting with. I still need to get my first bear. My cousin has already got his two bears for the season.

Casy this is excitement beyond belief.I had an awesome time just seeing the bear.
Kirk your cousin is already done for the year with 2 bear down,damn thats pretty good.You should have been with him.Then maybe he would only have 1 bear down then ;)

Kraven, I bet you get him next time! Good luck!

Great story, Kraven! Sounds like a beautiful bear, too. Twolfd3 will have a story just like that one in the fall of 2003! ;)

Only 3 more days of work and you will get your second chance Kraven. The huckleberries here are in full swing now. A few weeks early for here.

O YES we are counting the days man.I'll head out saturday morning to find me a bear again.Maybe I wont sleep in this time.Hell I cant wait,all I think about is that damn bear.OH well til Saturday.

Kraven:

I've gotten a couple of bears. One is on the
den wall. I'm not into the meat that much,
so I'm kinda a retired bear hunter. If I
see one during deer and elk season, I'll blast
him, and give the meat away. Man, you've
got BEAR fever bad!!Persistance is always
your best bet, so keep up the heat, and you'll get mr bear when he leasts expects
it. Happy hunting!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back