Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First archery Elk, NM 16D

Congrats....time to hit the bag dude....every day!

16D is a magic place for elk....you have the hunt of a lifetime!

Good tag I will be in there this year. Put my brother in law in and he drew 1st archery 16d never hunted before lol.. he is going to be using all my stuff. 16d is a great unit but we are currently in a extreme drought and the winter wasn't good down in the gila. Gonna start heading down there soon to put cams. I had 16a first archery hunt the past 2 years but had draw soup this year lol

Good tag I will be in there this year. Put my brother in law in and he drew 1st archery 16d never hunted before lol.. he is going to be using all my stuff. 16d is a great unit but we are currently in a extreme drought and the winter wasn't good down in the gila. Gonna start heading down there soon to put cams. I had 16a first archery hunt the past 2 years but had draw soup this year lol
I'm in northern nm so will be trying to get down for a lay of the land trip soon. I've driven through CACA valley plenty of times but never hunted that side of the road and this is my first archery elk. I think I'm like all new mexico right now hoping we get some rain this spring and summer. If not it's gonna be a water game in Sept.

Yeah with 10 cameras on each one lol. I see alot of stolen cameras in people future. I had 3 taken last year one 20ft in the air. Buy used his stand ladder to get it im guessing

Yeah with 10 cameras on each one lol. I see alot of stolen cameras in people future. I had 3 taken last year one 20ft in the air. Buy used his stand ladder to get it im guessing
I saw lots of people complaining about storm cameras on Facebook last year. I'm not a camera guy myself. Just never got into it. I'm thinking my strategy will be to work as far from roads as possible lol.

There's places in d that u can do that. We do that also but we put cameras most just to see if animals are in that area or not. It changes down there alot depending how the year goes. Its a mtn of kindling right now pretty much

...Its a mtn of kindling right now pretty much
Yeah, NM is in an intense heatwave right now with no rain in the forecast. Looks like it's in the mid 90's down in Magdalena today. My elk tag is for Oct. in unit 16B. They have one whopper of a fire going near the Gila Cliffs so I'm not sure what hunting season will look like this year.

Yeah, NM is in an intense heatwave right now with no rain in the forecast. Looks like it's in the mid 90's down in Magdalena today. My elk tag is for Oct. in unit 16B. They have one whopper of a fire going near the Gila Cliffs so I'm not sure what hunting season will look like this year.
Yea, it's mid nineties here in northern nm today too but it's pretty standard this time of year. My brother's on a crew working that fire right now, it hasn't been growing at too horrible a rate. At least not like some I've seen. I was hoping the rain we had in the north got the gila too but doesn't look like it... it's all on the monsoons at this point

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back