FINALLY! Moose draw!

USMCtanker

I am new to this forum, and would very much appreciate any guidance, or assistance you folks may have to offer.
I drew for area 76-3 (South-East, Idaho) for a bull moose tag. This was my 4th attempt in the past 10 years. Since finding out I have researched everything I can possibly find on the unit, maps, etc. I realizse that some of the best reconnaissance may be just talking to people who are familiar with the area.
I will be hunting with my dad, who is even more excited than I am.
Accomodations are already taken care of. As most of you are likely aware, the seaon is long, but I am not to sure which time may be best for a rifle hunt?
Any thoughts, guidance, assistance, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Probably the toughest moose hunt in SE idaho; cow hunted it two years ago and my buddy and I shot the only 2 moose we saw in four days. We did see a bull track though. Only about two open roads in the interior of the unit so be prepared to hike. In the northern part of the unit go into wyoming then back to idaho for access to areas. I can pm you for more specifics tomorrow.

Congrats on the tag. Call some locals and find out when the rut hits down there. I would imagine the last half of September would be a good starting point.

StHubert, Like I had mentioned before My dad is going along with me,he is a retired biologist with F&G (fisheries). He retired about 10 years ago. He is super excited about this and has mentioned he will be contacting some of his old co-workers in SE Idaho for any input.

Nothing better than good ol fashion foot work. Go often and as much as u can! Congrats on the tag, hope to see pictures of success!

Finally!

We headed over last Monday for this hunt. Once there and camp set up we had about an hour of daylight left so we decided to drive the Western Boundary, and within 5 minutes saw a cow in the willows, that got me excited about the hunt.
Tue. Morning up early drove the entire unit boundary and talked to everybody we came in contact with as to where they had seen moose. This worked out great as there were a lot of archery elk hunters that were more then happy to tell us where they had seen bull moose.
With that info we we were up early on Wed. and headed into areas that sounded the best.
We saw a nice bull first thing, but he was on the run, and headed into the trees, just couldnt get on him in time.
Hiked a few areas, checked a few drainages and made a plan for Thur. morning to get on a bull.
I talked to a couple of archery hunters that mentioned they had seen a decent bull crossing an area and suspected he was doing it nightly.
I set up on a point where the bull was suspected of crossing from the trees down to the willow flats.
I had my dad drive the rig down the road where he had another view, and could radio if he saw the bull coming from the tree line.
Sure enough, with less than an hour before the end of shooting hours he spotted the bull coming out, but didnt think it would reach my position before the end of shooting hours.
My dad (70 years old) decided he would get behind the bull and try and push him down (herd a bull moose). This actually started to work. when we realized this may actually work we decided we may as well keep pushing till he gets closer to the road so we had less of a pack out. I situated my self where I had a good shot on the bull the entire time, but we just kept trying to push him towards the road, most of the time at a walk. Within 20 feet of a road the bull turned broadside towards me at approx. 100 yards. I was already laid down, rifle on the bipod and just waiting for this opportunity. I dropped the bull instantly with one shot to the neck from my .308.
The "pack" out was easy as we backed the truck against the roadside berm and loaded it. Using a cable winch we hung it from an old cattle load chute and went to work.
There is no doubt we could have held out for a bigger bull, but also no doubt it would have been a lot more work. The fact that my dad and I were able to herd this one to where we wanted it presented an amusing story that we will remember. All the gear we brought for a long multi day pack out was never used. My dad was extremely thankful for that.
In 2 days of hunting, we saw 2 bulls and a cow, and had aquired a lot of info as to where other bulls were frequenting.
This hunt seemed almost surreal, like a dream, it was over quicker than I had expected it would be, and fortunately for myself and my dad was much, much easier than had been anticipated.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 915
Glad your dad was able to be there with you on your hunt, congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back