Finally got a nice Stag

Good job, nice stag! I really want the opportunity to hunt them one day. Keep updating posts, I enjoy reading about hunting across the pond.

Sweet rifle - is that a silencer / break, or what the hell is that thing? Eeee gad man - awesome stag Richard! Congrats sir. Looks like an easy pack out job too!
Yes it is a Wildcat sound moderator, it does reduce the sound but not like you hear in the movies! It helps a lot with reduced recoil, but i hate the damned thing, totally unbalances the rifle, its only on at the moment because i was invited to a place where the owner insists any hunter uses one and i will remove it soon, then have to zero the gun again.

Don't get them all Richard. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to take you up on your invitation before age prevents it.
Nice looking royal.
You should!

When is your red deer rut??Can you call them in like our elk?
The rut timing changes every year, can start mid September, but can be as late as mid October, usually lasts a couple of weeks in Devon where i live.
I have heard of hunters trying to call them in by using antlers rattled together with very limited effect.

Neat story and a fine stag, Devon, (but there should be a law against bad phone cameras). ;)
I agree, but in fairness to the camera it was still low light, i will take my Go Pro next time but it's usually so dark when the deer appear.

Cheers

Richard

Yes it is a Wildcat sound moderator, it does reduce the sound but not like you hear in the movies! It helps a lot with reduced recoil, but i hate the damned thing, totally unbalances the rifle, its only on at the moment because i was invited to a place where the owner insists any hunter uses one and i will remove it soon, then have to zero the gun again.(quote)

here in nz we have a fair selection of moderators,,the over barrel ones take the unbalanced feel out,,i carry mine whilst bush or tops hunting full time,,sometimes day after day,,no problem at all

very nice! Grats! What a great looking stag! What does a normal stag weigh? Quite a rack for a deer.

Thanks again guys.

Just curious, do red deer have ivories like our american elk?
They sure do.

very nice! Grats! What a great looking stag! What does a normal stag weigh? Quite a rack for a deer.

The weights range, i was surprised how light this one was, butchers weight (gutted,head off, lower legs off,skin on) it was 185lb which is light for a mature stag, but i think he had a hard time during the rut, we have had a bad winter here, and his teeth weren't the best, although he had no disease and all lymph nodes were fine.
I know that some around my area can go to 400lb.

Cheers

Richard

I went to Google Translate to try to find how to say 'Congradulations' in Great British, but there was no listing for Great British, so I had to use English to English. Hope it translates correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back