MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Finally getting some meat.

As a side note, Am I the only person who hates game carts? The wife and I find it much easier to pack out quartered, skinned meat than dragging these carts thru the brush. We brought this one because the brothers asked us to.

I've brought out about half my animals on a side by side game cart exactly like the one on your picture, only without the tandem wheels. If you have a decent gated off road to get to the animal, they're a godsend. If you have to cut cross country at all, even through grass, they're garbage.

My bear this spring was 40 yards off of a really good road, three miles behind the gate. The road only gained about 50 feet elevation in that three miles, and the game cart made it almost too easy.

Last edited:
Saturday, the 12th.

Took the oldest boy today and headed out for a bit. We drove and glassed a few spots not really decided on where to go.
A bit past 9am we spotted a buck tending a doe way out from our vantage point. Thru my cheapo 20x spotter we could just barely see that he did have some rack. At that distance, with that scope, if you can see anything it means it might be pretty good. They bedded down at the base of a hill. After some discussion on was it worth the one and a quarter mile stalk just to see if he was a shooter or not, we decided to let him go.
We drove on a few miles and set up again just to come up empty. Ben says, "maybe we should go ahead and check that buck out." Cool we are outa there.
The buck was on a piece of BMA so we drove to the map box/parking area. After studying the map we realized that the buck was as far as he could possibly be and still be on the BMA. We decided to go all the way to the back line then make our final stalk from there forward. It's now 10:30.
We hi-tail it to the back boundery and are then sure sure that if he is still bedded he will be in the shoot zone by 50-100 yards. I tell Ben to be darn sure he shoots well because there is no room for error and long bloodtrails. I picked a little saddle in the hill to peek over and as I crawled over there was the buck and a single doe feeding about 100 yards straight below us. I checked him out for a second thru my binos and knew he would be an "instant shooter for young Ben. I whispered back as much and told him to crawl up beside me and get chambered when he got here!
He crawled up and set his old 98 8mm in his shooting sticks. Show time. As he raised up those last few inches the buck continued feeding and never knew we were there. His shot was good and as the deer ran I could see blood spurting out with every leap. About 40 yards and he was down and out.
After photos, and congrats/field dressing I decided to leave Ben with his deer while I went home for packs and the "dream team" to help us bring him out.
Took me right at 2 hours to make the round trip, and other than suffering hunger, and the extreeme desire to tell somebody about his hunt, we found Ben waiting at the kill site.
A short while later, the buck was skinned quartered, and boned.
Little brother carried all 4 quarters, mom the backstraps, inner loins and various gear, the hunter brought the whole hide and head, and old dad only had to carry a rifle, optics, and cameras drinks etc, but for the first time no meat! Oh yes, Ben did his first field dressing job today and it was perfect.

Fantastic day.

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 59
I think I got it now.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 59
Great job on the deer for the young guy, and great job to you for helping everyone out so much. Glad to see all is well in no man's land out there.

Awesome. That is quite an accomplishment getting a deer with a recurve.

Somehow I missed this post before and am really glad I found it as that is some GOOD stuff right there. Congrats to the twodot clan!

Any chance you are adopting?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back