Finally did it

Nick87

Been talking about putting in a pit blind for years. Couldn't spend that kind of money on steel or concrete and well we all know about the price of lumber. Got some dual wall pipe for free from work. 4 man pit, 5th hole is shallow for the dog. Just gotta finish the lids, long time coming for this, can't wait to try it out.

20220329_105935.jpg20220329_131228.jpg20220329_131311.jpg20220329_132417.jpg20220329_131318.jpg

Last edited:
What did you have to bribe that farmer with? The problem with pits is even after soil is all dumped back in when finished, it can take a couple of seasons for it to repack to depth. Farmer's tractor can get stuck. You'll also need some good boots and rain gear. Pits can get muddy. Been there.

What did you have to bribe that farmer with? The problem with pits is even after soil is all dumped back in when finished, it can take a couple of seasons for it to repack to depth. Farmer's tractor can get stuck. You'll also need some good boots and rain gear. Pits can get muddy. Been there.
Stay in your lane.

It will sure beat hunting out of a coffin laying on the ground. Shooting off my butt just doesn't do it for me.

Nicely done. More than a little jealous. Hunted from pit blinds in Northwest MO when going to school. Metric ton of fun!

5.5 feet sub grade so the floor will be 1' higher for any runoff from a heavy rain. So where your standing is. 4.5' deep floors will be able to be adjusted depending on your height, I'm 6'2".
That should be about right. Some guys make them too deep and then have trouble pushing the lid out of the way. What do you plan to use for a lid? I always used half inch plywood and made them about half the width of the hole with extra on the ends. Light enough so I could carefully move them around as the honkers circled. Putting enough camo on the lid but keeping it light was always a challenge. Drill a couple finger holes in the center to grip it while moving. The subfloor is a good idea. I was going to suggest dumping a bunch of crushed gravel in the bottom but subfloor will probably work better. Get some of those big holy grip treads from Home Depot, cut to fit, and screw them to the floor. That would work great for traction. You're gonna have a Cadillac by the time you're done. Will the farmer be seeding corn again?

That should be about right. Some guys make them too deep and then have trouble pushing the lid out of the way. What do you plan to use for a lid? I always used half inch plywood and made them about half the width of the hole with extra on the ends. Light enough so I could carefully move them around as the honkers circled. Putting enough camo on the lid but keeping it light was always a challenge. Drill a couple finger holes in the center to grip it while moving. The subfloor is a good idea. I was going to suggest dumping a bunch of crushed gravel in the bottom but subfloor will probably work better. Get some of those big holy grip treads from Home Depot, cut to fit, and screw them to the floor. That would work great for traction. You're gonna have a Cadillac by the time you're done. Will the farmer be seeding corn again?
Yah, farmer is my cousin. My buddy has a pretty slick design for the lids, I can't share it though because he would kill me, he's thinking about getting a patent on it.

I was going to put some some in the bottom but this pit is located on a knob that was pure sand so water won't be a problem

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back