MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Finally an equitable balance between resident and non resident shed hunting access.

They could just ride around with me and get them out of the tractor tires. No matter how hard you look it seems like a shed pops a tire every couple of years.

I can’t believe how many guys shed hunt eastern MT anymore to gather up all the fork horn and small 3 point sheds left from the young bucks that somehow escaped certain death.
I can’t remember the last time I found a brown muley shed. Every time I come across a chalky white I wonder if it’s the last one I will ever find.

Stupid is all I can say about this one. How about we just legislate nobody can touch them until about June or July to protect wildlife and stop the shed stupidity going on.
I agree May 1 is too soon.

Create a season just like do for things like mushroom harvesting in some states. Require a license to hunt sheds and do the typical screw job with non-resident being 10 or 20x the resident cost. If you are caught picking up sheds out of season then is a Compact violation. There is no biological reason to pick up sheds and plenty of reasons not to pick up sheds including stressing critters trying to recover from the winter and to nurse fawns. If a state can make it illegal to resell a bighorn skull or to even pick up a deadhead skull then why not outlaw shed harvesting? Some side hustles should go away.

Takes off work driving a $60,000 pickup and spends hundreds of dollars in gas to find a $25 deer antler or a $70 elk shed…

Show me tha money!

Sounds about as profitable as an old, fat, balding white guy thinking he’s going to be able to retire after he opens his OnlyFans account…

A lotta people have no idea how much money is being made off shed products. That 3 days could easily cost the right guy 10K.

Takes off work driving a $60,000 pickup and spends hundreds of dollars in gas to find a $25 deer antler or a $70 elk shed…

Show me tha money!

Sounds about as profitable as an old, fat, balding white guy thinking he’s going to be able to retire after he opens his OnlyFans account…
If I consider going shed hunting as taking a day off work no doubt about it I’m losing money. That said I’ve walked a ton of miles and seen some really cool stuff under the premise of going shed hunting. Anymore the vast majority of places I go are also places I hunt so it’s largely scouting with the hopes of packing home an antler or two

I can say for sure I've made more money picking up elk sheds than hunting for live ones...and by a wide margin.

First picture I posted was in probably 1996 brown elk were $8/lb...8 brown elk sheds probably 7 pound average...close to 60lbs, around $500. Maybe another $125 of deer antler, somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-$650. Split between my buddy and I...$300-$325 each for a day of hiking.

I can't remember back that far, but I bet I was probably only making $125/day at my job back then.

If you do it right, there's still money to be made.

Same, you used to be able to make decent money doing it. I amassed quite a collection of rifles and paid for half a pickup with elk antlers. The competition is stupid now, crazy what its become.

I got the solution a shed hunt draw. Applicants must purchase an $80 non refundable hunting license, pay $24 shed hunt app fee, preference points can be purchased for $15 if unsuccessfully drawn, oh and let's not forget the 3% transaction fee per applicant. We could even add a special and regular 60/40 split if need be. More money for pretty G&F toys and raises for everyone.

I got the solution a shed hunt draw. Applicants must purchase an $80 non refundable hunting license, pay $24 shed hunt app fee, preference points can be purchased for $15 if unsuccessfully drawn, oh and let's not forget the 3% transaction fee per applicant. We could even add a special and regular 60/40 split if need be. More money for pretty G&F toys and raises for everyone.

Easy fix. Ban the sale of sheds. Let people who like to do it for a hobby have at it. I bet you would see a good step down in demand. The utards aren’t going to drive out of state to pick up leaverites and keepsakes.

This is great. lol

I'd add a limit to the # of sheds a NR could have on them at any time. More than 5 and the rest get confiscated at the check station (local bar).

Get caught avoiding the check station then we take your truck, boots, gear, etc and auction it off, 5 year sentence cleaning bathrooms in Rawlins at the truck stop, night shift.

We could also make resident shed hunting tags transferable. And no NR tags available. So the only way to get one is buy from a resident.

Or to simplify we could make it illegal for Wyoming sheds to leave the state. Shed sniffing dogs at the borders.

No NR shed hunting in wilderness. Even better no NR shed hunting on federal or state land.

Limit NR"s to one tag per year so if you get a shed tag no deer, elk, or antelope hunting.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

What? Who?
If you can't see where this is going you be blind...First off it's a 3 day head start for RES vs NR, which for all intents and purposes is waiting for a class action law suit, this is heading toward the DNR making up some stupid license you have buy so they can get a share of the pie....it will happen. Baby steps....

If this passes, I would stand back and let the Utards go in for the first wave. After they overwhelm the capabilities of law enforcement, all of us filthy NRs from other states could ravage the shed grounds.

Just ban shed hunting on the federal level. Huge fined and jail time. Christ, we are already pushing these poor animals all over the place due to reduced habitat and increased human pressure. Shed hunting is probably taking place when the animals are still calorie deprived and practically starving to death. I'm sure society can survive without the antler shed market. This is ridiculous.

More laws that won't/can't be properly enforced.
Show up on opening day, anywhere good that has a shed season and you will find boot /quad tracks and no sheds. The honest people are at home and the crooked get the place to themselves.
How will this help?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back