Finally an equitable balance between resident and non resident shed hunting access.

Sounds like some politicians have nothing important to do.

*Poverty, food insecurities, rising fuel costs, crumbling infrastructure, class/racial division*

Politicians: “OK bump my 2 o’clock I’ve got an appointment with some shedicated guys not finding enough brown gold because of the non-residents.”

Great to live in the USA but sometimes man I tell ya.

The 3 day head start is neither here nor there to me, I'd rather it wasn't in the bill. However, I'd be all for shed hunters of all kinds paying for a $20 stamp that goes to habitat treatments, Rx fire, wildlife overpasses, etc.. The people traffic is absolutely nuts in the popular areas, and there is definitely resource damage.

*Poverty, food insecurities, rising fuel costs, crumbling infrastructure, class/racial division*

Politicians: “OK bump my 2 o’clock I’ve got an appointment with some shedicated guys not finding enough brown gold because of the non-residents.”

Great to live in the USA but sometimes man I tell ya.
What happened is a guy was driving home from his boring job as a state legislator, thinking about how his cousin’s wife might get more votes than him next election, and noticed an abundance of trailers with tires on the roof, and a lot of chalk white antlers littered around the yard…

I’ve picked up one antler so far this year; spotted it fifty yards off a highway. There is no chance any shed season would have saved it from being picked up by someone

I don't think most people are shed hunting to try and make $. I think people enjoy getting out in the woods as winter winds down and putting some miles on.
I don't know if it's most or not, but I'm done selling antler. I love to shed hunt and will continue to do so, but I'll just be piling them up. I hate the competitiveness that has creeped into the activity.

Have you seen the videos of the truck races?
It’s a different cultural than the Midwest.
I guess I have not. I know they had to put some seasons on shed hunting because some nut jobs were out chasing elk trying to get them to drop their antlers. People are ridiculous.

I guess I have not. I know they had to put some seasons on shed hunting because some nut jobs were out chasing elk trying to get them to drop their antlers. People are ridiculous.
YouTube Jackson WY shed hunting videos. The mile+ long line of trucks and horse trailers waiting for the bell to ring should explain a few things.

Thats all bullchit there were already laws on the books to prosecute for wildlife harassment. It was feel good legislation that accomplished nothing other than creating an opening day. That in turn has created the problem of surrounding states coming here for opening day.

One of the big pushes for this was the "expert" witness that is going to testify against corner crossing, James Rinehart. He was pissed that the sheds were all gone before he got back to Wyoming from his winter vacation in Arizona.

“After an hour fwp estimated they had over 300 cars”

“After an hour fwp estimated they had over 300 cars”
Until you see it in person it's hard to believe...went one year in the late 90's. Saw a gal run over a couple guys on foot with a horse, people driving 60 MPH with a truckload of "runners" in the back. Guys on motorcycles trying to outdo Evil Knievel, it was something else. I'm shocked nobody has been killed.

A friend and I found other places near there where nobody looked and we didn't have to wait for the opener on the SR.

We did OK...had a day and a half where we picked up 126 antlers.

buzzshed.JPG

goodday1.JPG

ant1.JPG

sheds.JPG

Nope, they're doing it to make money.

Takes off work driving a $60,000 pickup and spends hundreds of dollars in gas to find a $25 deer antler or a $70 elk shed…

Show me tha money!

Sounds about as profitable as an old, fat, balding white guy thinking he’s going to be able to retire after he opens his OnlyFans account…

What’s crazy to me is how many of my friends and family will take off work every year for the opener of the Sun River Game Range.

They love the social aspect and competition and hullabaloo as much as hiking and looking for antlers. Come elk season the same folks barely hunt for a live elk.🤷‍♂️.

What’s crazy to me is how many of my friends and family will take off work every year for the opener of the Sun River Game Range.

They love the social aspect and competition and hullabaloo as much as hiking and looking for antlers. Come elk season the same folks barely hunt for a live elk.🤷‍♂️.
I can say for sure I've made more money picking up elk sheds than hunting for live ones...and by a wide margin.

First picture I posted was in probably 1996 brown elk were $8/lb...8 brown elk sheds probably 7 pound average...close to 60lbs, around $500. Maybe another $125 of deer antler, somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-$650. Split between my buddy and I...$300-$325 each for a day of hiking.

I can't remember back that far, but I bet I was probably only making $125/day at my job back then.

If you do it right, there's still money to be made.

When you see IG dorks that really seem to have no special talents or skills that are making a living on shed content and are getting free or paid to use hunting gear you start seeing some of the problem. And yes, they’re from Utah

I know they had to put some seasons on shed hunting because some nut jobs were out chasing elk trying to get them to drop their antlers. People are ridiculous.
Yeah right, with ATVs and baseball bats, just like the Director said. This is total nonsense.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back