Yeti GOBOX Collection

Finally after 36 years

Delw

Back when I was a kid growing up in Japan, I always fished, I met this guy who taught me how to fly fish and tie flies., I checked out every library book on fish and fishing I could find. All my book reports ( we used to have them then) were on fish and birds of prey and a few on snakes. One day this guy told me I should make a list of every fish I wanted to catch and check it off when I caught them.
well after about 10 years I lost the list but remembered every single fish on the list. Now Mind you I wrote this in Japan when we live at misawa millitary base ( way up north in the wilderness areas). I was between 8 and 10. the fish I list were mainly trout salmon and steel head and a bunch of salt water stuff.
I caught every single fish on that list except 2, one was the northen pike and the other was a tarpon. one of the hardest and longest taht took me to catch was the golden trout, I did that in 1979/1980 in okanoghan county washington state. When I moved here in 1982 I found out they had pike, April and I went to lake mary and tried with no success in the 80's. in the last 8 years I been talking about it and never went back up there. after a few rough weeks and just needing to get out of town. I tried for friday but had to cancle due to work. Kids wanted to catch fish with teeth really bad.
John Called me and told me to make sure I was up there sat. and he would take the kids and I out. I wasn't going to fish as I just wanted to go somewhere with the kids and let them fish, even if it was "Gay Bass". This am I finally got out of town at around 1130am 3hours behind. kids were excited especially Claudia.
we hooked up with John at the ramp and headed for the dam first off.
I was casting for anthony and he would reel a buzzbait in. with-in 10-15 mins Anthony had a blow-up and a big blow up. he got all excited, not to mention me as well as I have never seen a live northern pike in my life. I tosssed out again and he had another blow up but twice this time. tossed it oust again and WHAM he starts getting all excited and yelling, " I got one I got one" rod was bent in half he had something, John or I didnt see or hear a blow up and heck for that matter his buzzbait never was on top of the water. He was yo yo ing it and he had one a pretty nice one to.

IMG_0651a.jpg

IMG_0652a.jpg

so now he is stoked, he sees the fish busting out of the water and hitting his buzz bait, Claudia is stoked to but a little scared.

IMG_0660a.jpg

I would cast for Anthony and he would reel it in and get blow ups and alot of them

John would hook one up then give it to one of the kids to reel in, some of them were pretty good sized.

Pour claudia hadn't caught a fish so we hooked a wrom on a dropshot and john tossed it out, she ended up bringing in a small crappie but it came off at the boat. we finally were able to get hooked up with a pike and she reeled it in, then when we put it in the boat she ran to the back of the boat screaming :Iconrotfl

Mean while anthony is still wacking them and getting pretty good blow ups with some nice fish 24+"

IMG_0655a.jpg

Claudia later hooked up on a yellow pearch dropshotting a nightcrawler.
she also was able to reel in 3-4 nice pike.
The kids enjoyed it cause they could see the fish hit the buzzbait while they were reeling it in. John and I enjoyed it cause of the kids haveing the time of there lives.

after afew hours claudia gave up fishing and decided to play with worms, Anthony wanted to fish and not play. he finally gave in and went to the consol of the boat and played.

so now John and I are trying to catch some pike. we hit a few and I finally managed to catch a pretty nice one. john got a bunch to. the last hour or so of daylight John and I would hook them and the kids would reel them in. then anthony wanted us to cast only, he finished off the day with this little one after a bigger one blew up 3-4 times for us in one spot.

IMG_0665a.jpg

I had the best time of my life fishing today with the kids and John.
it was 61º up at lake mary, we didnt get any rain, it did start to sprinkle when we left.
Pike are a very slimy fish and they stink, but DAMN they are a blast to catch on topwater. They pull all kinds of drag. alot of the blow ups were with in 5 feet of the boat. John had a good fish that bite his buzzbait 3 feet of line from the tip. he freespooled and it came off.
we did see one guy catch a huge fish in the narrows off the bank. it probally went close to 15lbs maybe more as we werent that close. they were pretty exstatic. I got some more pics I will post later.

Now I am Down to a tarpon and unless I drive to FLA. I wont be catching one anytime soon, cause I hate to fly.

Thats an amazing story. I drive past lake mary all the time and to be honest it almost looks like a large pond rather than a lake you can boat in. I'll have to try fishing it some time. Is there walleye in that lake????

Did you see all the Elk hanging out in the middle of mormon lake??? That is pretty neat also.

NEAt story, thanks for sharing. Kids having a blast makes fishing a whole lot better.

Oops pics didint work, they are up now.
we saw 3 elk in lower lake mary when we were leaving that evening.
They got a bnch of big walleye there, some friends are fishing it right now

Pics weren't working earlier.. Now they are. Fetching cool man !!!!!

Looks like a Great time was had by the kids for sure !!

Delw:

Great story! I love the expression on the kids faces, I thought the Pike was going to eat your little girl!

Good luck in your pursuit of game this fall guy!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back