Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fill out Idaho survey.....

for those who have strong opinion, you can fill it out more than once too!!!

I noticed that too.

Even though, I'm in favor of a bonus point system - I do not think that I will vote more than once.

You must be one of those people who are selfish and don't care about the future of hunting example new hunters and youth that don't get in on the ground floor on points have little if any chance too ever draw........ Do some research.....
Matt

Did it last week when they sent me an email. Will have my wife do it too.

It takes more than just a survey to make a difference. I won't deny that it is a piece of the puzzle, but to be truly involved in this day and age it takes interacting on many different levels...including involvement in IDFG meetings, interacting and commenting on their FB or Twitter or YouTube sites, offering your opinion or having a constructive argument for or against something that gets posted. No matter what it is that you're saying...when your name gets out there as one that is recognized, then it becomes more of a force to be reckoned with when they hear it. I have interacted with a number of IDFG people over the past few years regarding issues and I can tell you from experience when I email some of them...they know exactly who I am.

You can't just sit behind your computer and fill out surveys and questionnaires and harvest reports and expect there to be a difference the next year. Use the tools that get the job done in this day and age.

You must be one of those people who are selfish and don't care about the future of hunting example new hunters and youth that don't get in on the ground floor on points have little if any chance too ever draw........ Do some research.....
Matt

Haha a little presumptuous. It's not like I rebuked your favorite caliber rifle.

Your comment makes me kind of want to fill out surveys just to spite you.

I am against preference point systems, but I do like bonus point systems.

Preference points is the system where the ones at the top, get the tags.

Bonus points is a lottery where those are rewarded for applying year after year with another point. 10 years of applying gives you 11 names in the hat.

It gives me a slice of hope for the year after I am unsuccessful. It gives me hope and something to work up too.

I am one of those people on the ground floor and I am for building for a hunt in the future.

I am behind points in every state, but I am willing to wait and keep applying.

It is fine by me to wait my turn while having a slight chance to draw a tag.

As for youth, I feel generally they are coddled. I remember when the youth duck hunt in Utah and it was fun, but what hooked me on duck hunting was going out with my dad as a team to try and get ducks. It wasn't about me, it was about we.

I remember waiting my turn as 14 was the legal age to hunt big game. We didn't have a youth season back then. I had to go out hunting and wait until I was older enough to hunt. The hunts before I was 14 were some of the most memorable.

I started putting in for pronghorn and buying points for moose as a youth, because it was the only tag I thing I could afford to do on a lawn mowing salary.

I expect to wait 25 - 30 years to draw a Bighorn Sheep Tag, Mountain Goat Tag, or Shiras Moose Tag.

I expect to wait 15-25 years to draw a Prime Elk Tag.

I expect to wait 10-15 years to draw a good Mule Deer Tag.

I can find other things to hunt as I build toward the future. I do not need to have everything given to me, I need to earn my tags by playing the game and trying to play the odds as best as I can.

It may be an old fashioned way of thinking, but kids should earn their keep and not be coddled as much.

I am not totally against youth only hunts, but the idea of saying we need to coddle them to pick up hunting doesn't sit well with me.

As far as research, I would be interested in some. Google is leaving me dry and hanging.

I am skeptical.

5 out of 4 people have a problem at understanding statistics.

Most states represent their numbers poorly in draw odds or success ratios, so comparative analysis would be difficult unless the person describing the situation had an understanding of statistics and made calculations of the actual draw odds for bonus/preference point states.

Matt, I'm sure you're a good dude. It's ok, if we can't see clearly on this. It's just an opinion, man.

Dude I hear blah blah blah passion, passion, willingness to wait, etc.
Do you realize that you could draw a moose tag next year in idaho...or a mule deer tag where a 170-180 buck takes barely more than a little effort or an elk tag where you'll find yourself surrounded by 30 bugling bulls??
oh yeah forgot to mention...you could draw a sweet tag every year, every year!!
it's like you're arguing because you want to wait 15 years between great hunts and we're arguing so you don't have to.

PS: what statistics do you want to hear about?

Matt, I'm sure you're a good dude. It's ok, if we can't see clearly on this. It's just an opinion, man.

Cut him some slack...he got his noggin scrambled in a car accident. He cuts to the chase, kind of lacking on the people skills.

You should fill it out, it's interesting how they try and trick you on a few of the questions.

They need to leave it the hell alone! it is awesome to have the chance at a tag every year. Don't like the states where you have to buy your way to a tag. I drew a Nevada Mule deer tag this year first year applying no points just got lucky. Probably never draw again but will keep putting in. LIL

Haha a little presumptuous. It's not like I rebuked your favorite caliber rifle.

Your comment makes me kind of want to fill out surveys just to spite you.

I am against preference point systems, but I do like bonus point systems.

Preference points is the system where the ones at the top, get the tags.

Bonus points is a lottery where those are rewarded for applying year after year with another point. 10 years of applying gives you 11 names in the hat.

It gives me a slice of hope for the year after I am unsuccessful. It gives me hope and something to work up too.

I am one of those people on the ground floor and I am for building for a hunt in the future.

I am behind points in every state, but I am willing to wait and keep applying.

It is fine by me to wait my turn while having a slight chance to draw a tag.

As for youth, I feel generally they are coddled. I remember when the youth duck hunt in Utah and it was fun, but what hooked me on duck hunting was going out with my dad as a team to try and get ducks. It wasn't about me, it was about we.

I remember waiting my turn as 14 was the legal age to hunt big game. We didn't have a youth season back then. I had to go out hunting and wait until I was older enough to hunt. The hunts before I was 14 were some of the most memorable.

I started putting in for pronghorn and buying points for moose as a youth, because it was the only tag I thing I could afford to do on a lawn mowing salary.

I expect to wait 25 - 30 years to draw a Bighorn Sheep Tag, Mountain Goat Tag, or Shiras Moose Tag.

I expect to wait 15-25 years to draw a Prime Elk Tag.

I expect to wait 10-15 years to draw a good Mule Deer Tag.

I can find other things to hunt as I build toward the future. I do not need to have everything given to me, I need to earn my tags by playing the game and trying to play the odds as best as I can.

It may be an old fashioned way of thinking, but kids should earn their keep and not be coddled as much.

I am not totally against youth only hunts, but the idea of saying we need to coddle them to pick up hunting doesn't sit well with me.

As far as research, I would be interested in some. Google is leaving me dry and hanging.

I am skeptical.

5 out of 4 people have a problem at understanding statistics.

Most states represent their numbers poorly in draw odds or success ratios, so comparative analysis would be difficult unless the person describing the situation had an understanding of statistics and made calculations of the actual draw odds for bonus/preference point states.

apply in other states for bonus and preference points. Apply in Idaho for opportunity. Point systems take away that opportunity. I've drawn maybe three tags in Idaho over 20 years of applying and I still don't want a point system. I have opportunity every year just like the next guy.

I also apply and build points in multiple states. Those tags end up costing over $1000 in many cases after you add up point and license fees.It is expensive though and not everyone has the budget or priority in their budget to do so. Hunting does not need to be expensive nor should one have to wait multiple years to fill a tag. To me, those points in other states provide what you described, waiting years for great tags and great hunts. It's nice to know that I can still hunt a general unit in Idaho for cheap in between those high dollar tags. Hell, I even took my biggest muley buck to date on a general tag this year, 194 gross....oh wait, I've never drawn a controlled deer tag in Idaho AND THAT IS OK!

They need to leave it the hell alone! it is awesome to have the chance at a tag every year. Don't like the states where you have to buy your way to a tag. I drew a Nevada Mule deer tag this year first year applying no points just got lucky. Probably never draw again but will keep putting in. LIL

+1, couldn't agree more

TDA,
It sounds to me that you have spent some real time coming up with ways that you can justify your selfish attitude and sence of entitlement when it comes to drawing tags.
I cannot blame Matt for the emotional way he responded to you claiming you have a right to better drawing odds than his children who will be of hunting age in the near future.
If we were to go to a point system now we would essentially be punishing them for being ineligible these next few years. If we want to increase the fairness of the system we should increase the waiting periods after successful applicants draw in order to "punish" them with lower odds of drawing after being successful.
The bottom line is that there are much better ways of increasing odds in Idaho than any type of point system would provide!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back