Caribou Gear

Figuring out how to get a Dall sheep tag.

ruralmoose14

One of my dream hunts is to go to Alaska and hunt Dall sheep, but I am not quite sure how to go about it. I know that there is a drawing, but is it a point system like other states? If anyone would like give me tips and useful articles that would be great.

You can hunt dall sheep every year but as a non resident you need to hire a guide that will cost you around 20k unless you have a relative who is an Alaska resident.

Delta, Tok and almost all the Chugach are draw. Most everywhere else is OTC.

You need a guide if you’re a non res, unless you’re hunting with family.

I have been “interviewing” with outfitters for a while and have found a couple that will let me make payments at current year prices for a hunt in 2023.
It’s kind of a weird scenario for the outfitters and they don’t really want me to divulge who they are. Sorry about that.
I know this approach sounds very far out, but I’m just a guy with not a lot of money.
I’m bailing on any real out of state options at this point and am going to spend any of that app money towards an AK hunt. Point creep is just too much anymore. I have given up.
From what I’ve been reading on this forum and others, other folks are considering the same route. At least I can get in front of the trend now.
My two cents

I have been “interviewing” with outfitters for a while and have found a couple that will let me make payments at current year prices for a hunt in 2023.
It’s kind of a weird scenario for the outfitters and they don’t really want me to divulge who they are. Sorry about that.
I know this approach sounds very far out, but I’m just a guy with not a lot of money.
I’m bailing on any real out of state options at this point and am going to spend any of that app money towards an AK hunt. Point creep is just too much anymore. I have given up.
From what I’ve been reading on this forum and others, other folks are considering the same route. At least I can get in front of the trend now.
My two cents

This is my strategy now for big 3 for the most part. I will continue points in one state for moose where I'm already invested, but I'm just going on an expensive moose hunt this year so I can do it with my dad before he's too old. I've been contemplating this for my children too (too young to get points now), and I've started just saving money each year for them with the plan that I'll just take them on a great hunt some year rather than spending loads on points for them which they may never get to use.

Save your cash, stay in “sheep shape”, and wait for a cancellation hunt to pop up. I did this a couple years back and you can save $6-8k depending on the outfitter and length of lead time.
I saw one that came up last August, 7500 bucks. It was a pack your bag right now and go deal but a steal for sure.

A guy I know guided a hunter to a huge ram last year. The hunter was there on a cancellation and came last minute. Paid $10k.

I would love to find a Dall sheep hunt cancellation for around $10k. My concern is would I be in good enough shape or would I have time to get shaped up.

I would love to find a Dall sheep hunt cancellation for around $10k. My concern is would I be in good enough shape or would I have time to get shaped up.
If you wanted to do a cancellation hunt you would need to treat the year(s) like you were going on a scheduled hunt. You would need to have your weapon, pack, gear, ect. all ready to go. Plus, you would need to be in tip top shape with your stuff packed waiting for the phone call. Then you may or may not get the call. If you aren't willing to do the work and then not go on a hunt this process might not be right for you. Now the upside is you could go on a cool hunt and if you didn't go on a cancellation hunt you would be in killer shape for your normal hunting season.

Start getting in shape, the most successful sheep guys i know are always ready. You might draw that OIL tag or Goat tag or a deal for 7500 bucks comes up and the next thing you know your on a flight to the great white north. Good Luck

I found my hunt in the middle of June for an early August hunt. I see some hunts come up with much less lead time so my advice is be in shape before even thinking of this style of hunting. I wouldn't even consider such an adventure otherwise.

Remember, a $12k sheep hunt still needs flights, a hotel night probably before and after, meat handling, and of course a tip for the guide based on the full price hunt rate (this is the one place to NOT go cheap).

Personally I’d get a high APY account like Barclays or capital one then set up direct deposit...$300 a pay check would get you there and the interest would help with expenses + if you need to bow amour in 4 years you could.

Every year I say I will get in sheep shape... every year I get I shape on a sheep hunt. IMO people way over blow the physical thing. Its more mental, at least for me.

Pick up a side job, sell some junk you don't really need, pass up stuff, etc. Coming up with $15-20K takes some sacrifice, but is not impossible. Dall sheep hunts are not getting any cheaper. They have nearly doubled in the last 10 years.

There is also the option of moving to Alaska for a few years, walk down to the local grocery store, and pick up your free sheep tag every year... all depends on how bad you want it. I wanted it pretty bad and moved up here for the hunting... this year will be my 10th year of sheep hunting... and caribou, and moose, and griz, and...

Personally I’d get a high APY account like Barclays or capital one then set up direct deposit...$300 a pay check would get you there and the interest would help with expenses + if you need to bow amour in 4 years you could.

I am contemplating doing a similar investment strategy for my moose and sheep hunts. I figure if I put away $100 month for 10-15 years I ll be able to afford these expensive guided hunts.

Sheep show i.e. <1 club and other WSF functions where they give/raffle away sheep hunts. Better odds than some states.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back