Yeti GOBOX Collection

Field to Wall

Ontario Hunter, the only thing that jumps out at me is the bulge at the base of the neck. Perhaps it's a camera illusion but it appears like the hide is bunched up there. Also evident by the shortened white throat patch.
Hair gel works good on unruly hair and sometimes carded down too.
Also I wouldn't try to get rid of natural cowlicks, they were there when it was alive, like it or not. Trying to iron out natural cowlicks only makes them look worse. Whitetails are notorious for them and sometimes in strange places. Just go with it. Groom with it, not against it.
Good luck and enjoy the work.
He just naturally didn't have much of a throat patch. Also irregular shape and lopsided. But as I said in another thread, irregularity seems to be the norm with muley throat patches. 20210622_095337.jpg

I presume you're referring to the brisket "bulge"? Hmmm. I see what you mean. Just went downstairs and had a look. It appears the legs on the form were placed too far back. That would explain the appearance of a chest bulging forward and the difficulty I had getting hair to lay right in the armpit area. We'll keep an eye out for that with upcoming muley pedestal. Thanks.

Last edited:
2018 Wyoming general tag.

Attachments

• 4A54F721-6D1E-4898-B9E4-56CDF95BFF7D.jpeg
    4A54F721-6D1E-4898-B9E4-56CDF95BFF7D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • AD32C41B-0908-4B1C-9C0D-B68D71F58A66.jpeg
    AD32C41B-0908-4B1C-9C0D-B68D71F58A66.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 16C093AD-00B8-4A8A-9C69-63D8E42769F8.jpeg
    16C093AD-00B8-4A8A-9C69-63D8E42769F8.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 14
  • B7A30977-9B30-43DB-BE55-6D7876D333FE.jpeg
    B7A30977-9B30-43DB-BE55-6D7876D333FE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • D88B7F9A-152B-425E-9973-A4AC62114BB9.jpeg
    D88B7F9A-152B-425E-9973-A4AC62114BB9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 44958AF8-EEF2-47BC-AA2F-A322E5770EBE.jpeg
    44958AF8-EEF2-47BC-AA2F-A322E5770EBE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 2F7F157D-5D80-41C0-99F7-9AD4F483A3CB.jpeg
    2F7F157D-5D80-41C0-99F7-9AD4F483A3CB.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 15
2018 Wyoming general tag.
Nice. What did they do with the horns in velvet? Kinda hard to tell from the photo but it looks like they skinned the velvet?

What's holding the mount up? Is there a hanger behind the curtain? Edit: I see it now. There's a steel bar into the habitat box the same colour as the curtain. Nice camo job!

He just naturally didn't have much of a throat patch. Also irregular shape and lopsided. But as I said in another thread, irregularity seems to be the norm with muley throat patches. View attachment 186675

I presume you mean the brisket "bulge"? Hmmm. I see what you mean. Just went downstairs and had a look. It appears the legs on the form were placed too far back. That would explain the appearance of a chest bulging forward and the difficulty I had getting hair to lay right in the armpit area. We'll keep an eye out for that with upcoming muley pedestal. Thanks.
Is it a McKenzie form Ontario?

They did fake velvet, despite our best efforts the velvet was lost. It is held up by 1/2” pipe nipple.
I think you benefited. Horns in velvet require special treatment or the whole thing rots away. Very difficult to save them sometimes. And expensive. Apparently your guy was ready to shed the velvet and mostly bone underneath. Lucky. Velvet antlers are also a pain to keep clean. Incredible dust collectors.

Yep. I'm pretty sure. Have to ask my daughter. She ordered it.
That would explain the heavy brisket you mentioned. For whatever reason, McKenzie forms tend towards heavy briskets and long, muscled up necks.

I think @glass eye may have been referring to the "swell" of the neck below the base of the skull in your first photo. The top end of the "rut muscles" are really pronounced there, but it could just be the angle of the photo. Doesn't look bad or anything though.

2020 Oklahoma rifle buck. My first mature whitetail. On the family farm hunting in the stand with dad. Was about 10 degrees. Great morning great memories View attachment 186680View attachment 186681
I see you like the naked look. Me too. Here's an idea for a hanger. I have made several. The wrought iron look drawer pulls can be bought at Home Depot or any lumber supply. Cut them in half. The backing plate is cheap 1/4" mahogany plywood (I have lots of scraps from building taxidermy shipping boxes). Bend the decorative tip of handle down to fit into a notch on backing plate. Use countersunk machine screw to attach handle to backing plate. Mount on wall securely (I suggest screwing to a stud or sheetrock anchor). Bend the drawer handle as needed to get desired angle and grip on skull. Mackenzie sells commercial naked hangers but they are rather obtrusive, especially for just a deer skull. Also they are not adjustable. Not so bad for whitetails but antlers on mule deer euros are sticking straight out into the room.
20210626_110805.jpg20210626_110839.jpg
20210626_133645.jpg

Last edited:
That would explain the heavy brisket you mentioned. For whatever reason, McKenzie forms tend towards heavy briskets and long, muscled up necks.

I think @glass eye may have been referring to the "swell" of the neck below the base of the skull in your first photo. The top end of the "rut muscles" are really pronounced there, but it could just be the angle of the photo. Doesn't look bad or anything though.
It's actually the lay of the hair in that area. Not sure if it's cowlick or what. I think a bit of hair gell may bring it down some. Or leave it alone and just write it off as character. The facial cowlicks around eyes and side of nose I have decided will stay. Those are definitely character.

Ontario Hunter, the only thing that jumps out at me is the bulge at the base of the neck. Perhaps it's a camera illusion but it appears like the hide is bunched up there. Also evident by the shortened white throat patch.
Hair gel works good on unruly hair and sometimes carded down too.
Also I wouldn't try to get rid of natural cowlicks, they were there when it was alive, like it or not. Trying to iron out natural cowlicks only makes them look worse. Whitetails are notorious for them and sometimes in strange places. Just go with it. Groom with it, not against it.
Good luck and enjoy the work.
Since my daughter pulled the hide on, I thought I should check for it to be bunched at top of neck. I felt it over thoroughly and don't notice any irregularities. The "swelling" is definitely due to hair standing up more in that area for whatever reason. Doesn't look "bad" but maybe could look better. Or maybe it might wind up looking bad if I mess with it!

Here's a close up of the facial hair and throat patch irregularities on my buck's cape. He was distinctive, that's for sure. And no, I didn't cut open his throat when dressing him ... but it sure looks like I must have. Wierd terracing of the hair in that area.20210626_145246.jpg20210626_144721.jpg

So was there a cowlic in the throat that you tried to comb out ? You can't win with cowlics.
Nope. Didn't work on it. That's what the throat patch hair looked like when mounted. I put some conditioner on nose cowlicks and pinned them down with cardboard. Didn't do a thing so end of that experiment. There is no wrinkle in the hide or form under the throat patch. Not that I can feel. Sure looks like there should be. Just weird hair lay. The dark "mane" (such that there is) up the back of neck is in proper allingment so hide was not pulled on lopsided. She did a good job there. The armpits also fit together well enough. If the hide is in line top and bottom there's really not much potential for excess hide to wrinkle if the form is correct size. As you can see, mine wasn't a monster size deer. We measured the cape carefully and it fit the form ordered. Only problem with fit was around that left side antler which was mounted slightly high. Overall, the cape was a nice snug fit on the form.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back