Field Judging Moose?????

Ultrahunter

Hey guys,

I drew a moose tag (unit 65 idaho) and really don't know much about them. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to field judge these things? I guess mostly width is what I should be concerned with? Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I don't think I will be waiting for a state record or anything. I just hate to burn a once-in-a-lifetime tag on a dink. Have any of you guys ever had this tag before? It is right around Driggs. I am in Iraq right now but when I get home in July I will be heading over there to look around for a place to hunt.

I'm not sure if its the same down there, but up here with the Yukon Moose, you can generally say that there is 10 inches between the eyes. Then you can use that as a reference to see what the width is. Again, that is a very general and certainly not exact. It will get you close, though.

Yeah I live in Nampa. I should be home around the 15th of July give or take a few days. If you don't mind maybe I will get in touch with you when I get back and borrow those videos from you. I really appreciate the help. I couldn't get that web site to work from over here. I will have to try it when I get home.

Unless score means much to you, I judge them like I do others. Some are, "Holy Crap, that's big", some are "That's a pretty good 'un", and "Look there's a buck/bull". I'm guessing that doesn't help... ;)

If I was hunting a good Shiras unit, I'd look for a couple of browtines per side and 40+" wide.

I think that is what is going to boil down to 1 pointer. I really don't care about the score. I just want something respectable. I think the 40 inch goal is what I will look for. The main thing I am wondering about is some sort of reference like ear width or something like that.

I've never heard/read of a reference for Shiras Moose. I'd bet one reason for that is that most folks don't get to do it often enough to get good at it.

Well, the first thing you do is watch him dance. You can bet it's about 17 inches between his foot and the floor when he's hopping around like a crane. Then you assess the distance between his body and the pan. If you're lucky, it's less than 1 inch....

:cool:

Hey congrats on a tag! And it sounds like your in the service? So thanks!

My wife drew a tag in the Palisades area a few years ago and whacked a 44" 9x10. First advice-go look at a bunch of shiras moose to get an idea of what a "big" moose looks like. Second, you need (usually) at least 3 browtines per side to get to 40", Third, sometimes the smaller moose look big, due to the small paddles making the tines look REALLY long. Finally, the rut is great but if you kill there is alot of critter on the ground when the temp is 70 degrees....something to think about.

Hey if I can help you out at all feel free to contact me.

If I recall correctly, with ears out stretched on a shiras moose, they're rougly 30" tip to tip...

you'll know when you see a good one. A 40" shiras moose is usually starting to get into the "Pointer" catagory of "holy crap". :)

Congrats on the tag too!

Thanks for the tips, I do have another question. When is the rut?? I have read mid Sep to mid Oct. Is that close. Yeah IDHunters I am in the Air Force deployed to Al Asad Air Base, Iraq. I work out at Gowen Field in Boise

They don't call them Swamp Donkeys for nothing.

Keep in mind that this advice is worth what you are paying for it.

First of all don't get in a hurry. Its a long season, and they all look big the first time out. 3 browtines is great, you probably won't get more than that on a shiras and less than 3 can still be good if he has everything else. 40" wide is very good also. Look for good wide and long palms. Also count the points. You need more than 7 or 8 per side, and 9 or 10 is getting very good. Another good rule that usually works is you want short points and not long points. Long points usually mean an immature moose, with less than stellar palms. Not always though. I shot a canadian moose in BC in 98 with tremendously long points and he was 10 years old with very good palms, and he scored very well. ALso you have no doubt heard the horror stories of shooting a small moose too far from the road. Believe me it can happen. Many a man has been sorry he shot a moose by the time it was all packed out. On a positive Note the meat is incredible and you'll want to save every scrap you can get out of the woods.

To break it down.

40 inches wide
8 or more points per side
3 browtines per side
wide and long palms with short points.
close to the truck...... in no particular order.

Thanks for your service and come home safe.

Last week of september thru first week of Oct was when we saw the most rutting activity. It can also be pretty hot that time of year.

You should learn how to call moose. They are more vocal than you would think and calling works!

Let me know if I can help ya out.

Oh, both my wifes and my buddy's moose (both from the same area) have 4 browtines on 1 side. ARCAT's right about the long point thing, it usually means smaller paddles but some of the really monster bulls have great paddles AND long tines. 10 points or more, 3 browtines or more combined with good paddles and you will have yourself a really good bull!

I love this site: I've got a moose tag this year, and just started doing some field judging research. Wouldn't you know this thread was at the first hit on my Google search.

Thank you for your service and congrats!

65 is a good tag and you should do well. Contact me when you get back. I have access to private land over there in Driggs that has been holding a nice bull the last couple years. They would be delighted to get it out of there....if their offer holds true from this spring. It should not be a problem for me to get you access. Best part is they can keep tabs on the big bull for you!

Thank you for your service and congrats!

65 is a good tag and you should do well. Contact me when you get back. I have access to private land over there in Driggs that has been holding a nice bull the last couple years. They would be delighted to get it out of there....if their offer holds true from this spring. It should not be a problem for me to get you access. Best part is they can keep tabs on the big bull for you!

I think he had good success....8 years ago. ;)

I told a buddy about this one a few years ago, he saw it and had some encounters but never got him. Another hunter did and IIRC, it scored in the 160's.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

Back