Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Field Judging Moose?????

My research showed for min B&C score on a Shiras bull it must have at least 2 brow points on each side or split brows. Next I looked for at least 10 points per side. Third thing I looked for was paddle width. Long points often equals younger bull with weaker paddle width. Long points count as 1 inch no matter how long, So no extra points for an elk like looking moose.

If a moose has split brows and 10 points it's likely at least 40 inches wide so I didn't really worry about overall width ear width or eye to eye width which is about 9 inches on a mature Shiras from my sample size of 3 measured mounts. Mass was last and not even a factor most good bulls are 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 so mass is not really a consideration.

My 2013 Colroado bow killed bull was 8x10 with split brows and 47 2/8 wide so I gave in a little on the 10x10 rule above. B&C 153 gross

Sandbrew

Attachments

• Moose hero IMG_0047.jpg
    Moose hero IMG_0047.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,513
For the record, the moose I posted the above pics of, was supposedly 3.5 years old according to the GF.

I don't think I will be waiting for a state record or anything. I just hate to burn a once-in-a-lifetime tag on a dink.

Exactly my philosophy for my hunt this year. I'd certainly be happy with something similar to the bull you got.

This has always worked good for me on shiras. If your not concerned about score dont worry about it. BUT if you want to score it on the hoof this is how I do it.

1. make sure it has split brow tines on both sides for max paddle length credit.
2. On adult bulls I figure 30" tip to tip on the ears and I use 10" for ear length
3. Count the points, most good scoring bulls will have 9-12 points/side
4. Look for long paddles and paddle widths of at least 9" preferably 10+
5. Dont worry about mass. There wont be much difference between a average base circumfrence and a heavy one

If it looks like this.....shoot it!!!! 169 7/8 pope and young

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 309
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew