Fewer non resident tags for Idaho

Slm864

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree with the decrease in tags to provide better hunting for the residents as that should be a benefit to taking up residence in a state, but increasing the NR cost to make up the difference in fewer tags just seems like an added slap. Just my 2 cents. It’s not going to keep me from applying or wanting to hunt Idaho but it’s another state that is now slightly harder as a NR to come enjoy and come lose my money in.

Thanks for the link. The article doesn't get into the details of the tag reduction, just the $$. My quick Google search didnt turn up any details either. Does anyone know what the reduction will look like?

IDFG says the Commission will have the ability to limit nonresident tags in any elk zone, or big game hunting unit for deer tags, to a number not less than 10 percent of the previous five-year average of all hunters in a unit or zone. It is not to take affect until 2021.

Honestly as the populations of these rural western states continue to explode I think this trend will only continue... I don't think it's hyperbolic to think that many states will have no NR opportunity or below less than 10% of the tags.

Honestly as the populations of these rural western states continue to explode I think this trend will only continue... I don't think it's hyperbolic to think that many states will have no NR opportunity or below less than 10% of the tags.
Hate to see it happen, but I can't disagree that it's going to happen. I also think NRs aren't too far away from having no OTC tags in most any western state. I hate to say it, but I didn't take full advantage of the "good old days" as well as I could have.

Thanks for the link. The article doesn't get into the details of the tag reduction, just the $$. My quick Google search didnt turn up any details either. Does anyone know what the reduction will look like?

Probably because most nonresidents from the past have already moved into the sate of Idaho from California and they are losing money already. :ROFLMAO::geek:

I actually agree with both aspects. I've seen the # of hunters double just in the relatively few years I've hunted ID. And the cost just brings it up to MT and WY standards.

Probably because most nonresidents from the past have already moved into the sate of Idaho from California and they are losing money already. :ROFLMAO::geek:

I definitely would like to see some reduction in tags for NR. There are several units that have almost or more NR hunters than Resident hunters. And the resident population has gone up quite a bit in the past 2-3 years.
I just may have to move to MT or WY lol 😂
Matt

So the actual #s are TBD. Okay makes sense.

What will happen to the hunting "industry" and "media" when the tags become so expensive and hard to get that the average Joe in the East can't do it anymore? I consume hunting media aspirationally, meaning it feeds the dream I can achieve what they are achieving. But I'm already less interested in watching moose or sheep hunting since I know it will never happen for me.

I feel exactly like 1_pointer. Wish I could've taken advantage of the good NR hunting when I had the chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back