Festivals and/or Major sporting event

I was present at the coldest buffalo bills game in history. 1994 AFC championship vs. Da Raiders. It was -32°F with wind chill. The Bills won 29-23 just so they could go lose a 4th straight. 😔

Watched Pele' play an exibition match here in Az.He only handled the ball once
for any length of time,but when he did it was like the other players were standing still.
Love my Baseball games and saw the Bears and Packers play at Soldier Field...it was so cold
my hair froze solid.Television is my favorite venue.I can always get up and grab a cold one and
some food and return without clearing my wallet. 〽💥

Wow, just Wow. You guys have done so much and been to so many great places and festivals, sporting events, etc. Very Very enjoyable reads--Thank you all!

My daughter reminded me of one I forgot. Probably because its been a few years back

My husband and I were able to get pretty good seats to the Ali-Lyle match in Las Vegas. One of the things we noticed was how verbal and brutal the women were at a heavyweight fight. this was also back when Vegas was Vegas, not Disneyland with slot machines

wonderful posts thank you

I have to add a couple of items.

Wife and I are Peyton Manning fans. We bought nosebleed tickets to watch his first game at Mile High as a Bronco. Booking agent had 2 or 3 problems with people backing out and keeping seats. We ended up in great seats 30 rows behind the benches with a great group of season ticket holders. Beat Pittsburgh and had a great time.

First night after moving to San Antonio. Went to the Alamo. No one around. City lights and a monument. Texans will understand. One of the highlights of my life! Religious moment.

I was at the 3rd coldest game in NFL history. The talking heads said the Sea Hawks were going to kill us in our home stadium, nobody gave us chance. There 4 seconds left and all Blair Walsh has to do was make a chip shot 27 yard field goal, and the upset victory would be ours and I would have a whole week to soak up the angst of the bandwagon Seahawks fan base.

But Blair missed the field goal wide left. And we lost and the angst is still all mine.

A52C2D6C-9687-4D2A-95B0-39CDC32EE227.jpeg

The only sporting event of any notoriety that I attended was a 1973 Oakland Athletics ALCS game against the Baltimore Orioles. I was 10 and a Giants fan, but a neighborhood friend and his family who were huge Athletics fans invited me to go with them. The A's where a pretty good team at that time. ;)

Just got back from visiting family in Florida, and went by the Daytona track the other day. Need to do a Daytona 500 race sometime before cashing in the chips.

If you are a hockey fan, then the Winter Classic is a great time. Took the family a couple years ago to the Blackhawks v. Bruins game in South Bend. Spent New Years in Chicago then to SB to watch the game. Was very cool to get to visit Notre Dame stadium as well. However, that place is not properly equipped to deal with hockey fans beer consumption.

Bobbydean, thank you. I also have not been in years but we enjoyed the festival when we went

I wanted to further explain about our trip to the heavyweight fight in Las Vegas. We had met a couple on business and they were fight fans and invited us to go to the fight with them. At that time we were in California, so we drove over to Las Vegas. Ceasers at that time had their large suites around the pool and they were named after the entertainers. Sinatra, Davis, Marten, etc. The people who invited us to the fight had rented the 4 bedroom Sinatra suite. After the fight, we went dancing with them and two other couples they knew and then we all went back to their suite at the hotel. After a couple of drinks they ask the women to put the keys to their room in a bowl. we asked why and was told the men will draw a key from the bowl and which ever room key he draws is the wife he sleep's with that night. We asked what the price of the tickets to the fight were and we paid for those tickets ( since we were invited guests for a bit more than we were prepared for ) and politely declined to participate and left.

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your memories of festivals and events. Very enjoyable reads

Rugby World Cup final, 2011 in Auckland New Zealand. Helped that NZ won :) rugby is a big deal in NZ and being there to experience the win was almost as good as bow hunting elk in the WY Wilderness with horses.
What happened in the most recent World Cup, I can't remember who beat you?:LOL:
Sorry I shouldn't gloat too much as you tired us out in the semi and South Africa trashed us:rolleyes:

Like you I follow Rugby, I used to go to my local teams matches but since they went to the premiership (they are top now and my friends son plays for them) it got too expensive.

Best international game I went to was at Twickenham stadium, took my rugby mad daughter with me, 6 nations, England-Ireland, within 10 minutes Ireland went 10-0 up, but that was the last points they scored, finished 33-10, the atmosphere was brilliant and the singing of the national anthems was just great.

Not sure I would go to any big gathering at the moment, looks like the Ireland-Italy game a week Saturday will be called off because of the spread of Coronavirus...maybe I didn't ought to run with the 500 fellow runners this Saturday in the park run, no, I don't live like that, got to die of something;)

The only sporting event of any notoriety that I attended was a 1973 Oakland Athletics ALCS game against the Baltimore Orioles. I was 10 and a Giants fan, but a neighborhood friend and his family who were huge Athletics fans invited me to go with them. The A's where a pretty good team at that time. ;)

Dick Green was the second baseman that year and after he retired he was a neighbor growing up. He had some sweet memorabilia in his house. I wish I was older at the time to appreciate it.

April has ben bugging me to post this but I was thinking the guys will think I am crazy.

I love horses and would love to make the finals in Las Vegas either cutting or roping, but the one I really want to do to is the Monol Derby, a 1000 mile endurance horse race. Recently a 70 year old man from Idaho won it and a woman's won it back in 2013.

Maybe I will be the second woman to do so :)

April, reading your last post made me smile. I bet you and your husband make a joke or two about that o_O

Bobbydean. I enjoy riverwalk in SA anytime, but ST Paddy's day is special

Last edited:
2016 World Series Game 3. A buddy and I were splitting Cubs season tickets so we had tickets to games 3-5. I wanted my wife to see a WS game at Wrigley so I gave her my ticket for Game 4. My buddy's wife was adamant that she didn't want to take my ticket to Game 5 but I could tell she kind of wanted to go so she got my ticket. Totally worth it for all of us to see a game.

2019 NFR. It was then that I learned I'm a rodeo fan.

7 straight years of Rockies Home Openers. Today is the start of Lent but the home opener is the start of Summer (even if it's still spring).

Dick Green was the second baseman that year and after he retired he was a neighbor growing up. He had some sweet memorabilia in his house. I wish I was older at the time to appreciate it.

Miller, was bike week one of the Sturgis events alluded?

April has ben bugging me to post this but I was thinking the guys will think I am crazy.

I love horses and would love to make the finals in Las Vegas either cutting or roping, but the one I really want to do to is the Monol Derby, a 1000 mile endurance horse race. Recently a 70 year old man from Idaho won it and a woman's won it back in 2013.

Maybe I will be the second woman to do so :)

April, reading your last post made me smile. I bet you and your husband make a joke or two about that o_O

Bobbydean. I enjoy riverwalk in SA anytime, but ST Paddy's day is special

There will be only one way to find out! Let us know your results.

In 2012 my wife and I went to Alaska for the start of the Iditarod which I enjoyed immensely. We spent some time in Anchorage for the Fur Rondy too. My best friend and I participated in the 'Running of the Reindeer' (like the running of the bulls only in snow, with a lot of beer involved and reindeer), which was a blast. The week prior we went to the Fairbanks Tired Iron to watch my friend race.
In 2022, we plan to go up for the start of the Yukon Quest. One day I'd love to go to Nome for the Iditarod finish.
I was at Jerome Bettis' last Steelers home game. I go to every Penguin's game my wallet will allow.

Last edited:
Was fortunate enough to see Joe Cocker perform in Hotchkiss, Colorado in 2010.

Competed in the National Toboggan Championships in Camden, Maine in 2014 ;)

Was fortunate enough to see Joe Cocker perform in Hotchkiss, Colorado in 2010.

Competed in the National Toboggan Championships in Camden, Maine in 2014 ;)
Joe and his wife Pam moved to nearby Crawford around the turn of the century. They built the wonderful Mad Dog ranch. Philanthropic Pam created the Cocker Kids' Foundation and breathed some new life into the town and surrounding area. They held an annual fundraiser, a yardsale @ the Cocker Castle. Several friends have 2nd hand clothes from Joe's closet. His concert in Hotchkiss @ the county fairgrounds was in preparation for his last world tour.

Last edited:
In 2012 my wife and I went to Alaska for the start of the Iditarod which I enjoyed immensely. We spent some time in Anchorage for the Fur Rondy too. My best friend and I participated in the 'Running of the Reindeer' (like the running of the bulls only in snow, with a lot of beer involved and reindeer), which was a blast. The week prior we went to the Fairbanks Tired Iron to watch my friend race.
In 2022, we plan to go up for the start of the Yukon Quest. One day I'd love to go to Nome for the Iditarod finish.
I was at Jerome Bettis' last Steelers home game. I go to every Penguin's game my wallet will allow.

WHOA---not many even know about the Yukon Quest. This year we supported Olivia and she got eleventh, not bad for a rookie who has only been doing it for two years. And her reason for training and entering the race was also special, at least to me. Her grandfather was in it and he is getting on in age and she wanted to run it before he passed :love: I hope you make it to Nome and to Fairbanks in 2022

WHOA---not many even know about the Yukon Quest. This year we supported Olivia and she got eleventh, not bad for a rookie who has only been doing it for two years. And her reason for training and entering the race was also special, at least to me. Her grandfather was in it and he is getting on in age and she wanted to run it before he passed :love: I hope you make it to Nome and to Fairbanks in 2022

My best friend has a Quest party on the Chena every time the start is in Fairbanks to cheer the mushers on. That is one hell of a race, she did well.

My best friend has a Quest party on the Chena every time the start is in Fairbanks to cheer the mushers on. That is one hell of a race, she did well.
Have to check, think I had her on my fantasy team! (I didn't do very well...)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back