Festivals and/or Major sporting event

In my younger days I went to alot of music festivals. Jamboree in the hills, bonnaroo, warped tours, others I cant remember the name or just cant remember. 🤦‍♂️
Xgames and dew tours.
Growing up went to countless Bills and sabres games. Bills games in the early to mid 90s were amazing. Still fun today...if u never tailgated go there to learn.
Dozens of Penn State football games also a cool thing to experience especially a whiteout game vs the Buckeyes.
Went to Darlington one year nascar races are way more cool in person and if the racing is to boring for you I promise the people watching is world class.
Nowadays living in idaho I dont attend much sporting events except for the occasional steelheads game.
I used to attend a lot of concerts but now If I attend one I like a more intimate concert in a smaller venue. I'm over the crowds of people as I get older.
I would love to attend the summer or winter Olympics someday. Other than that I'm content with my stack of ticket stubs.

In my younger days I went to alot of music festivals. Jamboree in the hills, bonnaroo, warped tours, others I cant remember the name or just cant remember. 🤦‍♂️
Xgames and dew tours.
Growing up went to countless Bills and sabres games. Bills games in the early to mid 90s were amazing. Still fun today...if u never tailgated go there to learn.
Dozens of Penn State football games also a cool thing to experience especially a whiteout game vs the Buckeyes.
Went to Darlington one year nascar races are way more cool in person and if the racing is to boring for you I promise the people watching is world class.
Nowadays living in idaho I dont attend much sporting events except for the occasional steelheads game.
I used to attend a lot of concerts but now If I attend one I like a more intimate concert in a smaller venue. I'm over the crowds of people as I get older.
I would love to attend the summer or winter Olympics someday. Other than that I'm content with my stack of ticket stubs.
Ticket stubs are just about a thing of the past. It’s mostly all digital now but I do like the paper stub. It’s a good memory and souvenir to look back at later. I’ve got a few stuck in a box.

Rugby World Cup final, 2011 in Auckland New Zealand. Helped that NZ won :) rugby is a big deal in NZ and being there to experience the win was almost as good as bow hunting elk in the WY Wilderness with horses.

Sports Car Club Of America 2012 National Championship. Not only did I attend the event. I was a competitor. The one pictured.

I will try to attach the video link for those interested. IMG_20191007_093029090.jpg

NCAA BB Final Four
College World Series
Three Sugar Bowls
Mardi Gras in NOLA
Jazz Fest in NOLA
Lolapalooza in Dallas

Hard to beat a crisp fall day tailgating before a big college game. I’ve really enjoyed that at Ole Miss, Alabama, and Baylor. Would attend a lot more college games if I didn’t hunt so much.

Ticket stubs are just about a thing of the past. It’s mostly all digital now but I do like the paper stub. It’s a good memory and souvenir to look back at later. I’ve got a few stuck in a box.

we kept some of ours as well, but not sure where they are right now. hope there still around. as they would be a trip down memory lane

kiwi ----It is funny when you leave the states and go to a Rugby, Soccer or Cricket match, the crowds are huge

cheyenne I forgot about the Calgary Stampede, if possible guys, go, that is a fun one. We use to square dance in Arizona

Bobbydean, have you been to your hot air ballon festival ?

Geetar and Rady11. My husband was a Green Bay Packer fan and thought Ray Nitsche ( did I spell that right ? ) was monster of a middle linebacker. You guys probably have no idea who I am talking about (-:

huronmtns, how cool is that !!!

3855win (-; (-; (-; love it !!

wonderful posts, thanks to all who contributed, excellent posts that brought back wonderful memories

Last edited:
I have 3 that come to mind and I will do them in ascending order.....

3) The Indiana State Fair (and I believe you could interchange a lot of the Midwestern fairs). The size of the event, the attendance and the variety of events (harness racing, tractor pulls, motorcycle racing http://www.americanflattrack.com/photo-galleries/view/indy-mile, concerts, livestock, fair-food and midway) are really impressive. I have a lot of good (but hot) memories from childhood.

2) Oktoberfest-Munich on my birthday! Every year Die Wiesn encompasses my birthday. I was lucky enough to be sent from Italy TDY to Heidelberg during the event while stationed at Vicenza. On the way back we took the detour and I spent my birthday in the heart of it all in the Pschor tent. It was wonderful. Great food and beer, wonderful attractions, beautiful women everywhere .....the best of what Bavaria is.

1) The Indianapolis 500. As an Indianapolis native I will admit up front that I am biased BUT if you have not experienced THE 500......you really should. The scale is something that is incomparable. For reference, here is an aerial view of the track and on race day there are more than 300,000 people INSIDE the track....think about that.....https://thenewswheel.com/google-maps-adds-360-degree-view-of-indy-500-race-day/ On top of race day, there is a mass of people in the several square miles surrounding the track for the entire month of may. People in the neighborhood make THOUSANDS of dollars each year parking cars and RVs in their yards. The spectacle is immense.

Was in Paris July 14, 1989 for their Bicentennial.

Oktoberfest 3 times, first time I was single and with my Army buddies, kind of remember it.

Front Row Center at Munich Olympic stadium: Monsters of Rock (The Black Crows,AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue) August 24, 1991. FUN times.

Calgary Stampede almost every year

The Passion Play, Oberammagau, Germany. held once a decade.

Numerous beer and wine fests through out Germany

The Testicle Festival once in Clinton, MT

Craven Country Jamboree, Craven Sask. A free for all to find a seat

Norsk Hostfest in Minot, don't knock until you try it.

Rockies, Mariners and Twins games several times.

Lots of memories

Last edited:
I have 3 that come to mind and I will do them in ascending order.....

1) The Indianapolis 500. As an Indianapolis native I will admit up front that I am biased BUT if you have not experienced THE 500......you really should. The scale is something that is incomparable. For reference, here is an aerial view of the track and on race day there are more than 300,000 people INSIDE the track....think about that.....https://thenewswheel.com/google-maps-adds-360-degree-view-of-indy-500-race-day/ On top of race day, there is a mass of people in the several square miles surrounding the track for the entire month of may. People in the neighborhood make THOUSANDS of dollars each year parking cars and RVs in their yards. The spectacle is immense.

I have been around The Indianapolis 500 Speedway racing surface. The corner banking was a bit steeper than TV coverage shows. The history that has happened in that facility will never be totally captured. Very impressive events inside!

SFC B, NEMONT, April

My husband thinks we should use our vacation for a trip to Octoberfest --thanks a lot guys :)

Some of you guys have done so much Congratulations !

I told April once that I always think of the movie's Secondhand Lions and The Bucket list when I think of her-----and now a couple of you men fit in there as well---wow, a well lived life by several of you guys. very nicely done and your not done yet I bet.

I attended a Broncos playoff game @ frozen old Mile High stadium when #7 took them to the Super Bowl in Jan. 1988 (87 season). Denver was crushed by the
Redskins 2 weeks later in the SB.

I was fortunate to have an inside track to the local music scene in western CO during the 1970s-80s, from my years at the college radio station KWSB, "mighty fine ninety one point nine," @ Western State in Gunnison. A local band, Black Canyon Gang, had an eponymous annual music festival, Memorial weekends at the Alfred Gray ranch near Olathe CO. My college buddy fronted the band, and put me to work as part of the stage crew for 2 years. I rubbed elbows with Cheap Trick and Asleep @ the Wheel members among others backstage.
Black Canyon Music Festival Poster.PNG

A few years later my involvement in the group that founded KBUT public radio station in Crested Butte led to an opportunity to serve as MC for the (only) 2 Crested Butte All Star music festivals. Jerry Jeff Walker headlined the first, memory fails about the second. You had to be there, I suppose...Black Canyon Festival Stage.PNG

Last edited:
Europe,

I have been to several of hot air balloon festivals, my favorite being the first or 2nd while in college in the early 70's.. Smaller and lot more friendly. I have had drank several Thermos's of Baileys with a little coffee. It has been a few years since I have been.

The burning of Zozobra at the Fiestas de Santa Fe is fun, geared to a much younger crowd than I.

Been to several MLB games. Love games at St. Louis (just a great stadium for baseball).

I love Ruidoso downs. The triple crown of quarterhorses. Use to never miss the All American futurity, but has become a monster in a little mountain village. Still attend the All American futurity trials with several brothers and sisters yearly.

I also enjoyed Octoberfest in New Braunsfels, Texas

Turning the river green on St Paddy's day on the Riverwalk is a blast.

My senior year of college, four friends and I crammed into a small sedan and drove from Iowa to California to be in the audience of The Price is Right (Carey, not Barker).

It was pretty fun. My roommate was called down to bidders row for the very last item and made a dumb bid. He got a slow cooker or some random kitchen thing as a parting gift.

I have been around The Indianapolis 500 Speedway racing surface. The corner banking was a bit steeper than TV coverage shows. The history that has happened in that facility will never be totally captured. Very impressive events inside!
That brings me back to another part of my "previous" life. I used to do a lot of car shows and every year some of the guys would go to the Street Machine Nationals. A gearhead's place to be! One year we went to the Mopar Nationals held inside the Indy track. They let us take a lap around the track in our cars. Many of the first out held back and then stomped the loud pedal to ride the banking. You had to be moving at a good rate of speed to stay up high. Superbirds and Daytona Chargers were really nice to see hauling ass around the track. Then the powers that be shut it down and had pace cars...

I also did the 4X4 truck thing. Went to several 4 Wheel Jamborees in Indianapolis at the fairgrounds. Never really had a show truck like some of my friends. Several of them were featured in magazines! The last year I went I did manage to win a trophy. Best personalized license plate. Had a little Ford Ranger with a small lift on it and had a set of 44 inch Super Swamper tires in the back for my mud truck back at home. Guess that drew the judges attention to my truck and plates. They read 2 B BIGR. Maybe they thought the tires were for THAT truck!

SFC B, NEMONT, April

My husband thinks we should use our vacation for a trip to Octoberfest --thanks a lot guys :)

Some of you guys have done so much Congratulations !

I told April once that I always think of the movie's Secondhand Lions and The Bucket list when I think of her-----and now a couple of you men fit in there as well---wow, a well lived life by several of you guys. very nicely done and your not done yet I bet.
PB.....Oktoberfest has a LOT of great "side trips" to go with it (and it is MUCH more than beer on it's own). I believe Munich is the most beautiful, clean, walking friendly large city I have been to in the world. Things to do and see everywhere. About an hour and a half so on the A95 and you are in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (glorious Alpine beauty ALL seasons). A couple of hours away are Oberammergau (home of the world famous passion play every ten years and incredible wood carvers) and a load of Ludwig's castle surrounding Fussen (hotel to stay at in Fussen with it's own in house bakery- https://www.schlosskrone.de/en.html ).

I’ve seen a PGA championship, US Open and The Masters. The first two were cool, but the Masters was way cooler- seeing Augusta live is unreal.

Went to the NCAA b-ball championship to cheer on Michigan State, but they got stomped on by NC. Still fun, but watching basketball in a football dome is not that great.

Seen a more than a few Packer games, but being at Lambeau for a night game when it’s snowing is about as good as it gets!

I’ve seen a PGA championship, US Open and The Masters. The first two were cool, but the Masters was way cooler- seeing Augusta live is unreal.

Went to the NCAA b-ball championship to cheer on Michigan State, but they got stomped on by NC. Still fun, but watching basketball in a football dome is not that great.

Seen a more than a few Packer games, but being at Lambeau for a night game when it’s snowing is about as good as it gets!
I’m not even a packers fan but I’d love to visit Lambeau in the snow.

Yeah I’m biased obviously, but it is really cool.

We did a Wounded Warriors event for work at a Packer game once, we got a box and had a bunch of former Packers there with us. Jerry Kramer and I went beer for beer for a little while, but I couldn’t hang. lol

Now that I think about it, that was the coolest event- not because of the Packer game, and not really even because of the former Packer players- more the other guys we were hanging out with that had served. They were hilarious and inspirational dudes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back