Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Festivals and/or Major sporting event

Europe

Several fellows have ask via pm about which ones I have enjoyed, and suggested I start a thread. I have been reluctant as this is a hunting/fishing forum and after reading a thread yesterday, it is possible that several members will state " a strip club" as their favorite. Also each individual is so different that what works for one can be boring for another.

anyway, I have been asked which festival or major sporing event I enjoyed and the short answer is in one way or another all of them. Even the super Bowl was o.k., but I find it much more enjoyable to watch with friends via a T.V.

The ones that stand out more than others in my mind and I would attend again are.

Carnival, Brazil. although this was 40 years ago, it is still foremost in my mind.
Festivsal d'Ete in Canada. we missed Woodstock, but this was fun--if--you like music
Festival Sahara, Tunsia. This one stands out as it was truly usual and different
Iditarod , U.S.A.. We attended the start and finish . If you only attend one end of the race, make it the finish.
Oktoberfest, Germany, this would possibly be number 1 for several fellows here ( boobs and beer ).
Kentucky Derby, NFR, NASCAR were always enjoyed more by me than my husband. He was o.k. with the Derby and Rodeo, but NASCAR was a bit boring to him
Sumfest, Jamica. We saw Harry Belafonte perform at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. And we went to Jamaica as soon as time allowed us to do so and we loved the Island, Festival, and People
Renaissance Faire's---anywhere--but there are some good ones in England. Sometimes I would go as M'Lady and sometimes as a Wench There are two types of wenches. A service wench and a pleasure wench. My husband always went as M'Lord

But the pride of watching the flag rise and the anthem bring played when the Dream Team ( NBA ) received their gold medals's literally sent chill's down my spine. This was the only olympic games that we attended, but we truly enjoyed it--and not just the basketball. The entire experience was worth the price of admission, but the Dream Team winning the gold was the cherry on top ( so to speak )

What "Festival" or "Major Sporting event" have you attended or would like to ?

I attended one Stanley Cup playoff game as a kid and got to see Gretzky play in Greensboro (who would have thought?). For music, I went to concerts put on by the South Sligo Summer School. Not exactly a "festival" but it was a great time.

I'm not a fan of big venues for sporting events or concerts. It seems like the crowd becomes more dominant in the experience than the performers.
That said, a part of me would like to be a part of the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, as a spectator.
The Kentucky Derby parties and pageantry and a tour of the Bourbon Trail would be enjoyable.
While i used to be a rabid rodeo fan, I've lost that enthusiasm, having competed poorly in college. I'd just as soon enjoy waking up in the morning in Jordan Valley Oregon, watching the Big Loop and Harney county Vs. Malheur County buckaroos...

Bowhunting Hawaii for Vancouver Bull at 8000 feet just below the snow cap on Mona Kea . That was a right proper "major" sporting event in my opinion. Spot and stalk alligator with a bow was a very enjoyable major sporting event.

My upcoming bowhunt in Africa will likewise be a "Major" sporting event.

As for "Games" (things with a ball, net, puck, court, referees, ect) Ive no use for that stuff nor the crowds they attract. Here in WI we have the largest music fest in the USA (summerfest). Its only a few miles from where I live and I have successfully avoided it for nearly 6 decades and have no intentions for breaking that streak. Not a fan of crowds (or most people) and always opt for solitary sporting events which are very different from "Games" (things with a ball, net, puck, court, referees, ect .)

Never seen an NBA game or a hockey game and likely never will since it holds no interest to me. Went to an NFL game once and that was enough. Never been to a "wraslin" or "racin" show as I have zero interest in that stuff either. I dont know what hell is but cars driving fast and turning left seems like it would be close as it bores the hell out of me but not nearly as much as actually traveling to watch people play golf. Never been to any sort of music concert of any kind nor do I have any interest in doing so. Im a bowhunter so major sporting events usually involve 3 for less people and since it takes place year round, I dont make time of the stuff others think in entertaining. I dont care to what other people do stuff. I would rather just do stuff myself. The joy is in the doing.

If time allows, I might take in a county fair but any time I can avoid masses of people, I count that as a win..

**edit** I do annually attend the nation's oldest running and largest bowhunting/broadhead shoot in the birthplace of the archery season and license.

Last edited:
Watching the Red Wings in their hay day was always a incredible experience.
I did always enjoy going to a lions game when we got the opportunity.
I went to the Carolina Rebellion with a friend while I was stationed there, that was a freaking wild event.
I've been to a number of air shows while I was in the military, those were always interesting to say the least. The time at the bars after the show was more entertaining tho.
I went to the Bozeman RMEF Banquet last year and won a sweet metal RMEF Logo they were giving away to Veterans. My wife and my buddys wife also got trashed at that event so it was a blast.

Hunting in the Gallatin Gateway is always a spectical as well :p

Went to the start of the Iditarod in 2014. It was a neat experience seeing it. No way to stay long enough and travel to Nome.
4 NASCAR races, Bristol being the favorite. Something about the cars roaring past you inside a coliseum gets the heart pumping!
Went to Lollapalooza in Chicago once only because that was the first show in the U.S. when Black Sabbath got back together.

Can't think of much else very special. Have a few things I would like to do but not really a priority.

When in Texas we always went to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake roundup and had a good time

always enjoyed going to Las Vegas to the Rodeo finals

up here. We have a good time during Iditarod .

April, on your list, besides NHR of course, I have always wanted to go Carnival in Rio, however I went to New Orleans and was disappointed . So ???? When I was younger we went to a "Day of the Dead" festival in Old Mexico. We were down there for the reasons but the timing was right so we went.

I wanna see Clapton...about the only large venue I'd tolerate.
Would like to attend a Telluride Blues and Brew
Santa Fe Opera someday
A production at the Lensic Santa Fe
Taos Big Barn Dance in the Fall...perfect sized venue under a good sized tent

The wife and I had a slope side room w/balcony at Crested Butte a few summers ago during their music festival...we both did like

Went to a few bike rallies...stopped short on those venues

went to game 3 of the 2004 World Series in St. Louis
Had a ticket to game 7 of the 2011 World Series but had to sell it due to travel / schedule

Went to a Super Bowl and a few interesting experiences living two decades in Sturgis ;-)

All fun.

Attending the Angola Prison Rodeo was interesting. I think HBO ended up doing a special on it a few yrs back.

Stay sharp. with all due respect sir, Dave and Mr Miller are correct. What you like to do, bow hunt, is admirable and something I never mastered, my hats off to you. but as Mr Miller and Dave has said this thread is about something different than bow hunting, but thank you just the same

Everyone else: Thank you for sharing gentlemen and Randi. Maybe someone in your area will see something they have not thought of doing and will go and if they do, I hope they enjoy the outing. Thanks fellows for the heads up on some cool venues

Randi----However Rattlesnake hunting is not on my short list (-:

State Fair is about the only annual thing for me. I’ve been to all four major sporting event games at one point or another, and those are definitely fun.

Super bowl and Stanley Cup final (if the red wings are in it, that is) would be on my bucket list for sure.

Stay sharp. with all due respect sir, Dave and Mr Miller are correct. What you like to do, bow hunt, is admirable and something I never mastered, my hats off to you. but as Mr Miller and Dave has said this thread is about something different than bow hunting, but thank you just the same

Everyone else: Thank you for sharing gentlemen and Randi. Maybe someone in your area will see something they have not thought of doing and will go and if they do, I hope they enjoy the outing. Thanks fellows for the heads up on some cool venues

Randi----However Rattlesnake hunting is not on my short list (-:

Thats why I included :

"I do annually attend the nation's oldest running and largest bowhunting/broadhead shoot in the birthplace of the archery season and license."

It is after all the nation's oldest and largest event of its kind. Its a one-of-a-kind and must attend event that takes place only at this location once each year. I dont miss it unless Im in some other part of the world, hunting with my bow. Sadly I will miss it this year as I will be at a MAJOR sporting event in Africa.

For example, the superbowl would be considered the WBH broadhead shoot of football.

For The drive in a circle and turn left car guys, whatever their big annual thing is would be the WBH broadhead shoot of turning left in a car.

Last edited:
I'm incredibly passionate about baseball, and specifically the Seattle Mariners. I've had an almost Forrest Gump like track record of going to M's games at the right time-

I was at Nolan Ryan's last game- https://www.chron.com/sports/astros...n-Ryan-pitched-in-his-final-game-12221468.php

I was at the game when McGwire hit one of the longest homeruns in MLB history off Randy Johnson. I was actually in the left field bleachers, first few rows, and watched the ball soar over our heads-

I was at this game, the longest in Mariners history, and stayed for all 19 innings-

I made a road trip with my Mom in 2004 to watch Edgar Marinez's last game. He's easily my all time favorite player, and the reason for the 11 in my screen name here. It was pretty cool, the commissioner was there to rename the DH award after him, they renamed the street in front of the stadium, etc. The weekend also happened to coincide with this game-

I was at another game in 2012 or so when Ichiro made an incredible catch at the wall on a ball I thought I was going to catch. I can't find the video now, but it was pretty cool being on one of his highlight reels for a while.

The last game I went to in 2018, was difficult for me for a variety of reasons, and I won't be surprised if it's the last one I go to. 44 year old Ichiro made this catch, and it was special, at least for me. Probably the last real highlight of his career-

I've been lucky enough to watch a long list of hall of famers. Griffey, Johnson, Ryan, Beltre, Alex Rodriguez, Bonds, Ivan Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Roberto Alomar, Ichiro, Vlad Guerrero, Thome, Frank Thomas, Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken, etc. I feel like I can't even mention Mike Trout with these guys, because he's on a level above them all.

Honestly, I think I'd trade every one of those memories to have sat behind home plate on a night that Felix was Felix. 15 years and I somehow never made one of his starts. That hurts. It's impossible to explain what Felix meant to a Mariners fan unless you've been through the last 20 years as one.

Good grief, am I ready for spring.
That’s awesome Randy. I am a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan. I just happened to be at a game in Philly once on a road trip. Romo had been hurt. Prescott had taken off. It was last game of the year. Prescott can’t advance the ball so coach puts Romo in. 4 or 5 plays later he throws a touchdown. It turned out to be his last touchdown ever and like you I joked about being in the right place at the right time like Forrest Gump. Also I was at the game in Dallas where the popular pic of Ezekiel Elliot scoring a touchdown and giving it to his mom with a kiss in the end zone happened. There was a penalty on that play and it was called back. Elliot goes and gets the touchdown ball from mom and they give him the ball again. He scores again and takes her the ball back.

75555B3F-F624-4DB2-9E12-B162A35BB453.jpeg

Last edited:
Some stood out, not the biggest or most famous just special to me.

Saw Karen Carpenter at the Hollywood Bowl, she captivated me which was really a surprise because I was more a Led Zeppelin type.

Saw Sandy Koufax pitch against the Cardinals, he was having a bad day or maybe he was constipated. He hit an awful lot of batters that day. And tried to put a number of 90 MPH plus fastballs in batters ears. We had great seats just behind third base, I one-handed a foul ball.

I've been to October Fest a number of times. Sampled a plethora of wild Nookie before I was married. :)

Something I enjoy that is a little strange is antique tractor shows.

Last edited:
Calgary Stampede is always fun and I went to the Festival d'ete when in college and loved it.

I would love to do anything in Jamaica but I might have a heat stroke :)

Randy11, we do follow hockey a bit and play a lot of river hockey, so understand how you feel, just a different sport.

noharleyyet. Do you guys still have square dances in Texas. I saw them at the Calgary Stampede, they were having fun

2rocky, running of the bulls --me too--and like you, as a spectatoro_O

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back