PEAX Equipment

Female hunters or huntresses

Randi

I had a couple of very nice conversations with male members of this forum, off the open forum and they were similar to conversations I have had with men, as far back as when I was in high school. The recent conversation was prompted by the Larysa conversation.. I was asked if I knew of any other females that hunt. This always surprises me, but as requested I will start this thread and see if others here are also surprised by my response to them.

Yes! Starting with my grandmother, mother, and female friends when in high school, college and now. Females entering into the hunting populace is the largest single growth "group". And we are not just doing so to be with our fathers, husbands, or boyfriends , we like it, we enjoy it and we do it alone and with other females and men ------yes.

Check out Ultimate Extreme Huntress ( which btw one of their sponsors in a bullet company from Montana--Hammer )
Allie D'Andrea -- Artemis, for the preservation of public land, that she hunts and supports.
Kristy Lee Cook, maybe some of the music lovers here know her, maybe not! But she is an avid hunter and barrel racer. So I love her -singer, barrel racer, hunter
Eva Shocky--yeah, Jim's daughter but she has done a few things herself
Bri Van Scotter, Hunts and cooks. Check out her website "wilderness to table"
Kristie hunts, a lot, but she is also the owner of Prois Hunting and Field apparel
Jens, girls with guns clothing line and she also hunts.
High Heel Huntress another clothing line started by two women who hunt
Georgia is a hunter and writer and was named one of the top ten sports books writers in 2012
Brittany Boddington, is Craigs daughter but she also hunts and writes for a few hunting and fishing publications
Deb, who is sponsored by S & W has shooting camps " Babes with Bullets"
3 years ago 4 women rafted the entire length of the Yukon river and are planning a Mackenzie river rafting trip together, as we speak.
and we certainly can not leave out Amanda who hunts the mountains of Montana vis horseback but she can also sell you a home in Bozeman.

I was also asked but since it was not directed at me, I will not say who but yes there has been a couple of fellows on this forum who have harassed one of our female members

And yes we also have a female on this forum ( not me ) who has given generously to some of the aforementioned ladies/charities/projects.

We hunt, we fish, we camp, and some of us enjoy horseback riding into the mountains for a few days, alone and for no reason whatsoever.

How many here hunt with a female and how often ? Does it create a problem for you having a female in camp ? do you prefer to hunt alone or with men ? And since I am asking what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? ( not in life and/or relationships, just in the hunting camp)

Last edited:
I hunt with my wife for everything.
She hunts anything from turkey, whitetail, small game, waterfowl, bear and elk with me. If I cant go for some reason she sometimes goes without me.
She can keep up or many times out hunt most other guys I know.
We diy archery elk hunt every year in Colorado from 9000 to 11000 ft and she packs her stuff in and helps pack meat out.
Never a problem hunting with other guys.
I'm very blessed.

My wife doesn't hunt or fish. I've tried to introduce her to it but it's just not her cup of tea. I never had any daughters, but I was blessed with 3 boys that have now grown into fine young men who are also outdoorsmen. My only hope in introducing a young lady to hunting and fishing will be if I have a granddaughter.

My husband and I have hunted together for 37 years. Still going but very slowly this season.
My mother, grandmother great aunt they all hunted. But they grew up in an era where to eat sometimes they needed to hunt.
I'd rather hunt any day over a day shopping or cooking/house cleaning.

I never hunt without my wife. In fact most of her trophies are better than mine. She started hunting in 1974, when she drew a Wyoming Moose permit. Since then, another moose, 2 bears, 2 Pronghorns just under 17”, a nice Bighorn, 2 or 3 6 pt. bull Elk, numerous small bull and cow elk, as well as deer and Pronghorns.

We don’t hunt as hard as we did, stay in a pretty nice camper while hunting, but still enjoy getting out and spending time in the out of doors. We share the camp chores, she - mostly inside, and I - mostly outside. She’s helped backpack more than one elk, though I had to help her get to her feet when she was loaded with a hind quarter. She’s endured long days, many miles, some pretty darn steep county, as well as some pretty foul weather. She’s still looking for that trophy Whitetail and Mule Deer.

We both would like to hunt Alaska and perhaps Africa. But, as the “evening shadows of life” lengthen, those hunts are looking more doubtful!
memtb

I've been hunting the last two seasons with a postdoc woman for ducks. No camping involved. She will be moving on to Louisianan next year, however.

of my actual hunting time -----approx 70% of the time alone, 20% -25% with husband or others, 5% -10 % with young hunters

Know of 4 of those you mentioned but only one personally

The Mackenzie will have fewer dead spots until you get to the mouth

( 358 )
Randi, I am really running so let me answer you here---between the Savage, Browning and Winchester I would get an original Savage . you already have a Savage 250/3000, so I would get an original 358 Savage to match up to it. The BLR would also work, but I would not buy an original 358 Win! Opinions vaty, that is mine

You could also ask Dr Mike, he hunts with a 358. You might also ask April and Gil.

Now, compared to the 348. To be honest the 358 is a smidge better, but I like the Model 71
When the two I have wear out I probably would go to the Savage 358, but maybe the Browning 348.

How many here hunt with a female and how often ? I do, but very infrequently
Does it create a problem for you having a female in camp ? No...why would it?
do you prefer to hunt alone or with men ? Alone
And since I am asking what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? ( not in life and/or relationships, just in the hunting camp) Nothing. Has only added to the experience

I know of handful, but most just spend a day or 2 every year to fill their deer tag. My wife enjoys hunting, putting in for deer, elk, lope, and the big 3. She also fishes whenever she can and bird hunts occasionally when it works out. I only know of one other woman in our area that is similar in her passion for the outdoors. I really enjoy the time we get to do these things together. It’s difficult to make time now with 3 young kids, but we make time as much as possible.

I've never met another woman who is passionate about hunting. My grandmother shot a moose back in the day but I think that's the only thing she ever got and I've only met her once. I know of some women from high school who go hunting maybe twice a year.
I do know of a couple women who have said that they had an interest in hunting but their fathers never took them but would take their brothers.
For me, I usually go with my dad but we have a pretty close relationship. I go deer hunting alone sometimes when I have time during the week. For now I only elk hunt with my dad because I want him to be there for my first one....actually I am the one that has pushed us in the hunting realm of things. I've never even met another woman in the field but I hope to some day.
I'm not familiar with any of the female hunters you listed except Eva Shockey but that's because of her collab with tru fire releases.
I am glad to see on this thread that those women that do hunt are out there!

Last edited:
I have a whole lot of respect for women who hunt because not enough of them do. Most women who went hunting with me were fine until I cleaned the first critter in front of them. After that, they never went hunting again.

Lady hunters who post in this forum are great. I enjoyed their posts and even though I myself had a public spat with one that I had to contact privately and apologize for my comments, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for their accomplishments and ideas. I in particular loved the video of the Leopold CEO and his wife hunting with Randy. Hunting ought not be purely a man's sport. It belongs to everybody and if we are going to preserve our access to do it, we need everyone involved.

My daughter is the only one in her high school to have killed a bear. I took her on her first back country elk hunt this year and had a blast. My wife hunts from time to time. One of the guys I hunt with often takes his wife hunting. I have friends who take their daughters out hunting. It is still mostly a man's sport, and probably always will be, but there are more women in the field every year.

There are getting to be a lot of women hunting on tv. Some are the real deal and are good hunters and good shots, with bow or gun. Some are more concerned about their pretty finger nails. There are quite a few female hunters around this part of the country.

How many here hunt with a female and how often ?
Does it create a problem for you having a female in camp ? do you prefer to hunt alone or with men ? And since I am asking what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? ( not in life and/or relationships, just in the hunting camp)

I grew up hunting with my mom more than anyone else I’ve hunted with. I don’t think she’s a huntress or a female hunter, she’s just a hunter. And a good one.
My wife doesn’t hunt but goes with me sometimes. (Although she has tried it and killed a six point bull in a grand total of 1 hour of hunting)
I went hunting with my mother in law on a muzzleloader elk hunt this weekend.
I have been guided by a female for dall sheep in the NWT and she was one of the best horsemen(women) I’ve ever been around.
There are definitely some very legitimate hunters that are women.

It doesn’t create any issues in camp.
I prefer to hunt with a good partner regardless of gender, over solo, but much prefer solo over going with most people, regardless of gender.

I have hunted with my wife, sister-n-law, and I've done 2 hunts with my best and his wife. I would hunt with those three women before most of my male friends, they are tougher and better at backpacking/camping/working with horses/skinning/etc.

This discussion made me think of the video bambistew posted of an interview with Joe Want, Want talks about the marines not carrying how many pushups you can do but rather how long you will keep trying to do them. I know a bunch of guys who hunt who can squat, bench, dead-lift an immense amount of weight, but non of them want to hunt the hell holes that I want to go into. I've done some pretty heinous hikes and packouts with women... and yeah they weren't carrying as much weight as I was, but they didn't balk going into those places and on the way out they had great attitudes and never once mentioned leaving meat behind or something like that.

Typically I hunt solo just because it's hard enough to find time to hunt myself let alone coordinate with others.

On my short list of people to call if I did something dumb like shoot an elk in a hole, at least half are women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back