Feeling it today

warmer

Today we pay our last respects to my father-in-law. He passed last week at age 91. He lived thru the Great Depression on a farm with 7 brothers and sisters. Joined the Air Force at 18 and was Honorably Discharged after 6 years. He went to Vietnam in 1968 as a civilian contractor working as a Helicopter Mechanic Instructor. Never flew, but loved flying. Returned home after 2 1/2 years and spent the rest of his career as a carpenter. He was quiet and never really discussed his Vietnam experience with me. He had the undeserved reputation as hard to get along with guy, but I think that came from his quiet nature and zero tolerance for doing a job anyway except the right way. No shortcuts, no excuses. He taught me some carpentry skills and all three of my sons worked for him as 12-14 year olds. He helped remodel our first home to accommodate our family of 7.

My wife was fortunate enough to sit down with him 20years ago and write his story down, put names and dates on old pictures and do the things most of us always "wish we had done before it was too late".

So he leaves a hole in our lives but he also went out on his own terms. He passed in the middle of the night after spending the previous afternoon outside with his 2 daughters enjoying a beautiful spring South Dakota day. Bird watching and discussing life as only a 91 year old can.

Moral of the story- enjoy family, enjoy life and tell the people close to you what they mean to you. You may not get tomorrow.

A loving tribute well written. Sorry for the families loss, he has left a positive impact on the world.

Today we pay our last respects to my father-in-law. He passed last week at age 91. He lived thru the Great Depression on a farm with 7 brothers and sisters. Joined the Air Force at 18 and was Honorably Discharged after 6 years. He went to Vietnam in 1968 as a civilian contractor working as a Helicopter Mechanic Instructor. Never flew, but loved flying. Returned home after 2 1/2 years and spent the rest of his career as a carpenter. He was quiet and never really discussed his Vietnam experience with me. He had the undeserved reputation as hard to get along with guy, but I think that came from his quiet nature and zero tolerance for doing a job anyway except the right way. No shortcuts, no excuses. He taught me some carpentry skills and all three of my sons worked for him as 12-14 year olds. He helped remodel our first home to accommodate our family of 7.

My wife was fortunate enough to sit down with him 20years ago and write his story down, put names and dates on old pictures and do the things most of us always "wish we had done before it was too late".

So he leaves a hole in our lives but he also went out on his own terms. He passed in the middle of the night after spending the previous afternoon outside with his 2 daughters enjoying a beautiful spring South Dakota day. Bird watching and discussing life as only a 91 year old can.

Moral of the story- enjoy family, enjoy life and tell the people close to you what they mean to you. You may not get tomorrow.
Thank-you. Nicely expressed tribute.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

When my FIL passes, he will be sorely missed. Hes the one person I can get mad at and 5 minutes later we are buddies again. I guess we truly are more alike than I ever knew. The older I get the more I realize it. He has always treated me like one of his own, even when I didn't deserve it.

I hope you and your family find comfort in each other very sorr for the loss of a loved one

Good luck

Sorry for your loss. Today's generation could sure learn some lessons from that great generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back